4.2 post numbers missing

broni

19 hours ago, broni said:

I was using MTM Ye Olde Post Count Of Yesteryear 1.0.0 plugin to have post number but it doesn't work anymore in 4.2

Thanks for posting this. We use that plugin too and while we weren't planning on upgrading for about 4 weeks, we will wait to see what happens here too.

10 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

EDIT: or maybe @AndyF can update it.

In theory yes, although I'd rather not be editing others files its something I've never done except in very rare circumstances where the file author has asked me to do "xyz" because (for example) they were on a mobile device etc and unable to do it themselves at that moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Our community is also using the post number as the standard way of referring in the replies and we miss the lost functionality upon after the upgrade (our theme has also changed it's behavior, but it's another topic).

If Matt is not replying, may we ask to upload a corrected version as a joint effort of Matt/Adriano?

I would also prefer if IPS returns this function to the core, while user might decide to switch it on/off.

• 3 months later...

This may not be a direct solution for post numbers, but have you thought about using the share post, quote, and inline quote features? 

A major flaw with post numbers is that they get corrupted over time.  If you ever merge, move, or delete posts then the numbering may get out of order.  If you use the share and quote features provided in the modern editor, you can link back to the original item - which is ultimately what you want.  

So even though my members initially wanted post numbers too when we first upgraded to v4, we've now adopted these newer features that are much more relevant and powerful.  

Archived