Feedback? How about 4.2 doubling my site traffic

Netherlord

I moved a site from vbulletin and vbseo in November and made sure all redirects were in place and especially for the forum and most pages using google analytics as a guide for traffic. Users welcomed the changes but it wasn't until I switched to https in January that my traffic dropped off. It never really recovered after that and is only now showing slight signs of growth. I doubt it's the software and it's more than likely URL structure and indexing. However, I would poll members and make sure there aren't login issues or other things going on to be sure. 

Use google webmaster tools and make sure your sitemap is valid as well as vbseo redirects. Test your high traffic old urls for proper redirect.

I run a fairly mature forum with 32,000 registered user's (side note, our entire company which now has locations in China, literally spawned from a 100 member IPB forum way back when) and have noticed quite a fair bit more interaction from new users. I haven't seen a major traffic bump yet, it's far too early to really comment on that, but I've notice what I suspect are lurkers finally joining in on the conversation. We use a custom theme but many of the new features are integrated into that theme. I suspect ease of signup at the bottom of every topic is probably a contributing factor.  

Since the staff are probably lurking in this area, a quick hi and thanks. I work in my PJ's on most days thanks in part to IPB ;)

Archived