Feedback? How about 4.2 doubling my site traffic

Netherlord

Only thing I had which I'm still trying to find, is that there is an error with a file. Seems that my site has been attacked and Cloudflare stopped it and blocked the IP. Yet it's on the WordPress side. No idea :( 

Other then that the site is more faster has way more options and cleaner ACP. As for new signs up and amount of traffic! same

3 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

What do you attribute the most to more traffic? SEO, speed, layout, etc. I launched a new site on 4.2 but it's taking time to get picked up. Once I see all plugins I use updated to 4.2, I'll start moving sites over....so just curious and glad to hear!

Seo 20% Layout 25% and the rest from speed improvements since I could tear out custom things that Ips now does better.

• Management
11 hours ago, Joel R said:

Can someone from IPS comment on the performance improvements they've done?  

I didn't see any emphasis on performance improvements in any of the Release Notes nor News Articles.  

We do a performance sweep with every release. Sometimes big changes, sometimes small, but we always do something.

lol, i don't even know why staff had to comment on this....

Thanks @Charles for clearing this up! 

We as owners and we as the person who works on our site, builds our site, pays attention to our site...i think we would know if our server/board has made changes with each update

i don't think IPS really needed to state this as with many updates to make something better..there are gonna be minor details that you may not notice until you have checked every detail that has been updated/changed

Saying this..i personally spend over 15hrs a day on my site..i can tell if ANYTHING has changed, moved, messed up, or optimized...so i think i would be able to tell that a MAJOR release update has sped up my site in any way shape or form...i don't think there's a reason to boost up how your site is as we all really have the same software...same updates if applied..lol

On 7/19/2017 at 9:41 PM, FGN said:

I couldn't agree more!

Speed has increased by a lot...and sign ups, and regular traffic has been Phenomenal to say the least.! :drool: 

When did your forum go live?  I see you have 250+ members and around 390 posts, so is the surge from a specific topic that might have received a link from somewhere and people are checking it out, or is it really the software?  I haven't noticed any major changes other than the software itself.  I always thought it ran well, so never any complaints at all in performance.

Just now, JEFF MACK said:

When did your forum go live?  I see you have 250+ members and around 390 posts, so is the surge from a specific topic that might have received a link from somewhere and people are checking it out, or is it really the software?  I haven't noticed any major changes other than the software itself.  I always thought it ran well, so never any complaints at all in performance.

wow, thx for checking out just my site, appreciate that

i pay attention to my site due to spending lots of time on it

and it doesn't matter when i started it or how many members or how many posts

i know cause i pay attention and i can see this difference and have gotten member feedback

Did you know that i'm not the only one who has said this?

did you know that i did not start this topic??

i have no complaints about the other versions..i just know from using both that 4.2 is has done a lot better for my board...thx again

3 minutes ago, FGN said:

wow, thx for checking out just my site, appreciate that

i pay attention to my site due to spending lots of time on it

and it doesn't matter when i started it or how many members or how many posts

i know cause i pay attention and i can see this difference and have gotten member feedback

Did you know that i'm not the only one who has said this?

did you know that i did not start this topic??

i have no complaints about the other versions..i just know from using both that 4.2 is has done a lot better for my board...thx again

sure it matters.  If its a new site, then it may not be indexed at all, so maybe its showing up higher on the google results. Like I said maybe you have a post or two that is linked from other sites.  Its great that you spend a lot of time on your site, you have to for it to be successful. If you look at your google analytics (or other analytics), maybe you are seeing a specific spike for certain content.  that is all I am asking.  I am not saying it isn't happening for you.  But there are other factors that you might be seeing 100 people a day to 250 people a day (made up numbers, just for example only).

No, that's not what i'm seeing

i don't use google analytics

Um, can you evaluate someone else's board please,

but thanks for the check out though, means that i'm being seen and my site is that important and that i'm doing something right

have a good day Cheers!:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, FGN said:

No, that's not what i'm seeing

i don't use google analytics

Um, can you evaluate someone else's board please,

but thanks for the check out though, means that i'm being seen and my site is that important and that i'm doing something right

have a good day Cheers!:thumbsup:

You are taking this the wrong way..big time, but I will leave it be.  Good luck, it is a good site, I really hope your hard work continues to pay off.

On 20/07/2017 at 11:04 AM, Netherlord said:

Feedback? How about 4.2 doubling my site traffic!

An unexpected side effect. I'm not complaining... hehe!

Signups through the roof. Speed increased insanely.

:) I'm happy!

Do you have any other metrics or strategy for these results?

I don't think a core software update equates to double traffic directly.

56 minutes ago, cualupe said:

Do you have any other metrics or strategy for these results?

I don't think a core software update equates to double traffic directly.

I should say doubling traffic is not the important factor here.... Active users however...I gained a 32% increase overall....and I'm able to retain them. 

Strategy.... Much... Core updates from ips came at a good time. Forum competition warfare. Lots of censorship elsewhere. People like our content but our look and a myriad of bugs kept annoying others. Now that has changed. ips fixed most of MY issues with pre-4.2. Not something that is IPS's fault either. I just wanted things better and did it custom. Now they do it as standard and that allowed me to remove some bulky stuff and gave me tons of new features.

I would say If I had to that I maybe lowered my own traffic by doing some of what I did. When I finally lifted the causes, coupled it with the new 4.2 look and features. Throw in a couple of great marketing moves against the competition.... I'd say it all turned out nicely.

I do however think the 4.2 update accounted for a lot of the change... My site looks professional, and well branded. And it works well too. That is down to the IPS software and support team!

You know what I like about IPS?? They listen :) I like to think I have a voice in shaping things :sorcerer: as do we all.

I also like the fact they can understand my sometimes brain melting explanations of things...

Saints... the lot of them...

But in closing.... If I thought it was all me... I'd claim that for myself (because I'd be proud of my progress). A badge of self respect if you will! However.... IPS staff and software have to take a piece of the pie on this one.. :)

It's been wonderful. So glad I ditched mybb 2 years back.... And it was word of mouth that brought me here. This place is awsome they said. Great software. plunged straight into 4.0.... hehe that was a blast... but Now i'm feeling it...

give it time, did the users know a change was coming?  This forum isn't going to lose everyone, its a great forum.  I am not sure how busy or big your site is, maybe its just an off weekend that people are busy.

What stats are you using to gauge that 1/2 your traffic is gone?

Yep they knew, site was down for 3 days though so maybe thats impacting.  Also i'm unable to send out bulk mail to let everyone know the site is back up because it doesnt work..still waiting for support to get back to me on that one!!

sites reasonable size, 28,000 members and 1.5 million posts.

Archived