Attachments Re-Invisioned!

Netherlord

I've been thinking on using attachments on my forums for a while, sadly IPS attachments in the current form are of no use to me. This is not a criticism of the product, But more personal preference.

However I would like to expand on what I would like to see in the hopes it will come. As I think this would benefit the software vastly. I'll do my best to set the vision in my mind but be warned I may not be very good at it.

In terms of visuals I would:

• Rename attachments to "Media Library

In terms of function I would:

• Add a setting to force new uploads to the media library to require approval by a moderator or admin before they are usable on the forum itself. With an additional setting to bypass approval based on user groups in locations like pages, databases etc in case of article submission in which approval of images would not be needed as most require approval before they go live in every set-up I've seen.

The above would change attachments from something I do not use due to the lack of control over images. To something I could give access to those who donate on my website, I would rename media library to Memes for my personal preference. And I would give my paid subscribers the ability to manage their own personal collection of forum memes for use as is my personal preference. They would require approval so that Nudity and Anything deemed problematic can be removed thus keeping my forum clean with a touch of additional control as I see open uploading problematic. Things get slipped in and my mod team is small. The less chances you give them to get at you. The better. Some communities are of a very different breed.

I would say that this small set of changes would greatly enhance the attachments section of the software. While I have outlined how I would use it and how it would help me I do think it would also work better for everyone else.

:) Who thinks this is a good idea?

P.s  - This I think would compliment the databases and pages section greatly also. As attachments does not seem to do those area's justice.

Essentially what you're looking for is to have the ability to require approval for content items with attachments for certain groups? 

Outside of that, you can rename the word "Attachments" to anything you really please via localization with Languages.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Essentially what you're looking for is to have the ability to require approval for content items with attachments for certain groups? 

Outside of that, you can rename the word "Attachments" to anything you really please via localization with Languages.

Yep pretty much.

7 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

Couldn't you use the Gallery for this? Granted, there would be no way to add an image per-post, but if you are going to have an approval queue anyway, uploading it to the Gallery wouldn't be that inconvenient.

I had thought of that but I think the way they would embed would be too bulky!

Archived