How I would make Forums the social media killer

TheWorldNewsMedia.org

I would take the lessons learned from social media about smooth and fast functionality.

Users don't want to have to title a photo.... maybe they just want to post it?  

Comments need not be in some big box...with a huge profile photo next to each comment..... A link on their username is sufficient to lead to their profile page.

I would also make them "real-time" / "threaded" and "super-fast"  (basically showing when someone else is typing.... thereby keeping people online to wait for someone replying.

Some would reply that forum comments are "for the ages" and are somehow written "in stone" compared to social media..... (Baloney!!)

I can go back to posts on FB from 10 years ago and read comments the same way we do on forums.

OH... and these new comment systems can be made SEO friendly.    (Check out rt.com commenting system for example)

Video and audio chat are just add ons... for those companies trying to become infrastructure contenders.

One key component why forums aren't advancing against social media are the investment in apps by forums in general.

So basically... once all the above is done... AND THEN also offered in an APP... then I think forums would start to dominate again over time.

wow, @TheWorldNewsMedia.org 

I like this and i don't care what others say...i agree 1000000000000% and couldn't have said it better......

I seriously hope IPS will take this into consideration and can apply all of this, my members will jump all over this and i know that more people will want to join a forum board once again!

I especially like the point about having this "I would also make them "real-time" / "threaded" and "super-fast"  (basically showing when someone else is typing.... thereby keeping people online to wait for someone replying."

Thank you for sharing this!

I should also add a comment about video as well.

Modern users of social media want to upload video directly to their "site" and have it play...

They don't want to worry about format.

They don't want it to be just a link for others to potentially play.

Facebook is now a VIDEO first company. Guess where the masses of people are spending their time as well?  Seen YouTube.com lately?

Forums could/should try to take on this area as well. We have the advantage of better organization. 

Google would not be able to relegate forum traffic to "internet drivel" as they like to currently. They would be forced to link to where the video is hosted. And in this case it would be on our forums and not on their YouTube.com

35 minutes ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

I would take the lessons learned from social media about smooth and fast functionality.

Users don't want to have to title a photo.... maybe they just want to post it?  

Comments need not be in some big box...with a huge profile photo next to each comment..... A link on their username is sufficient to lead to their profile page.

I would also make them "real-time" / "threaded" and "super-fast"  (basically showing when someone else is typing.... thereby keeping people online to wait for someone replying.

Some would reply that forum comments are "for the ages" and are somehow written "in stone" compared to social media..... (Baloney!!)

I can go back to posts on FB from 10 years ago and read comments the same way we do on forums.

OH... and these new comment systems can be made SEO friendly.    (Check out rt.com commenting system for example)

Video and audio chat are just add ons... for those companies trying to become infrastructure contenders.

One key component why forums aren't advancing against social media are the investment in apps by forums in general.

So basically... once all the above is done... AND THEN also offered in an APP... then I think forums would start to dominate again over time.

25 minutes ago, FGN said:

wow, @TheWorldNewsMedia.org 

I like this and i don't care what others say...i agree 1000000000000% and couldn't have said it better......

I seriously hope IPS will take this into consideration and can apply all of this, my members will jump all over this and i know that more people will want to join a forum board once again!

I especially like the point about having this "I would also make them "real-time" / "threaded" and "super-fast"  (basically showing when someone else is typing.... thereby keeping people online to wait for someone replying."

Thank you for sharing this!

5 minutes ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

I should also add a comment about video as well.

Modern users of social media want to upload video directly to their "site" and have it play...

They don't want to worry about format.

They don't want it to be just a link for others to potentially play.

Facebook is now a VIDEO first company. Guess where the masses of people are spending their time as well?  Seen YouTube.com lately?

Forums could/should try to take on this area as well. We have the advantage of better organization. 

Google would not be able to relegate forum traffic to "internet drivel" as they like to currently. They would be forced to link to where the video is hosted. And in this case it would be on our forums and not on their YouTube.com

Hosting video is expensive.

Youtube loses huge amounts of money.

I don't think it's something the staff guys are going to want to try and get into.

Edit - You can already set up internal infrastructure that works with video and IBP, the linustechtips site has their special floatplane club where they mirror their content (with a 1 week bonus earlier viewing period compared to youtube). It would be interesting to see the IPB guys get in touch with Linus/Luke and perhaps come up with a partnership or something where they integrate those features into the site?

Archived