Feedback on Social Promotions / Our Picks

Joel R

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

When you promote images, on FB those images appear to be getting added to albums with random (MD5?) names, which causes awkward Likes there, e.g. a notification that

Bob Smith likes your album 0fa8669ebc3556a711f9b69af18fde6e

It would be nice if we could set our own album names (even if you had to add a timestamp at the end to make them unique, if internally you need that).

1 hour ago, eGullet said:

When you promote images, on FB those images appear to be getting added to albums with random (MD5?) names, which causes awkward Likes there, e.g. a notification that

It would be nice if we could set our own album names (even if you had to add a timestamp at the end to make them unique, if internally you need that).

Submit as a bug.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very keen on this new feature, and so therefore have some suggestions...

1) Let us edit the title. "Blog Comment on XXXX" is dull, "Some valuable new info on XXX" is much more engaging.

2) Currently if I want to include an attached image with a promoted post, I have to download it, and then upload it. That makes no sense. 

3) There's too much prominence given to who did the promoting over who actually wrote the content. Eg, in the widget you see the promoter's photo, not the author's. 

4) This is perhaps out of scope of the promote system as it has to get pushed to places you don't get formatting, but for internal use a clear distinction between a) the original content and b) promoter's comment on the content would be useful. 

Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing in 2) ? Attached images do seem to turn up on the promote pane for topics, but not for blogs? 

Also, new request

5) When promoting, we should be able to see the upcoming schedule, so we can see any gaps. If there's nothing scheduled for the next 24 hours I might want to schedule at a different time than if we're packed for the next week. Perhaps also an option to set a regular schedule (one post every six hours, say) and add stuff to the end of that queue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 8:08 AM, Matt said:

I like your ideas, keep them coming please!

Have you considered an Auto Promote function/feature?  I would like to automatically promote the following bits of content:

1.  A new topic in a specific forum (out of about 15 forums total)

2.  A new Photo Gallery album created

3.  A new Blog entry in a specific blog

4. A new classified item added in the Classifieds System (InvisionHQ, previously Adriano Faria)

• Management

Yes but it really goes against carefully curated and shared content. If you turned your Facebook into a forum RSS feed it would ruin your organic reach and be against the spirit of good social marketing. 

4 minutes ago, KentT said:

Have you considered an Auto Promote function/feature?  I would like to automatically promote the following bits of content:

1.  A new topic in a specific forum (out of about 15 forums total)

2.  A new Photo Gallery album created

3.  A new Blog entry in a specific blog

4. A new classified item added in the Classifieds System (InvisionHQ, previously Adriano Faria)

I've brought this up before and I agree.

There are announcements I make in a certain news category in IP.Pages that I would want to promote every time.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Yes but it really goes against carefully curated and shared content. If you turned your Facebook into a forum RSS feed it would ruin your organic reach and be against the spirit of good social marketing. 

Could you let US decide what areas we would like to automatically promote, instead of requiring us to manually promote?  That "curation" is a factor of what we choose to promote...

1 minute ago, Joel R said:

I've brought this up before and I agree.

There are announcements I make in a certain news category in IP.Pages that I would want to promote every time.

Exactly.... 

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

My community contains content not suitable for a wide audience so my homepage articles are extremely carefully curated and written by me to be applicable to a broad audience.  I've intentionally vetted my homepage articles so they're friendly, easy to read, and designed to entice.  They're well curated in advance.  So for me to manually promote them is very inefficient.  This is why I've stopped using the social media promotion, because the promotion is no better than using a third party tool like Hootsuite, which is far more advanced with it's options.

I agree that I don't want my Facebook feed to become an RSS zombie, but that is the admins responsibility to not auto-post useless items.

I'm not personally bothered as I think we'll end up curating by hand. However, given that we can promote both at the item and content level, if we're doing auto-promoting, allow it by reputation / reaction. Any post with more than X likes gets promoted, top 5 posts in a 24 hour period get promoted, whatever. 

I'm of the opinion not enough use is made of the reputation / reaction system - the post / topic level figures are hugely valuable information and wasted on just coming up with a rating for each user.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Was able to trigger a database error on mobile by filling the time but not the date for scheduled promotion.
2) If there's a 3,000 character limit, do we need to fill the field with 10,000 characters? Either limit to 3,000 (we can copy and paste stuff from later on if we need it) or allow submission with over 3,000 and just truncate. If you disagree, try promoting a long post on your phone.
3) I'm increasingly convinced that for this to be truly useful for on-site content, we need some way to distinguish between the promoter's comment on the content, and the content. Some stuff I can just promote as is. Other stuff it's useful to add some explanation ("Excellent response here to John's question about...") but currently there's no way to distinguish the explanation from the content. Even if we can just use BBCode and strip that out for off-site promotion?
4) Pre-fill the date and time for scheduled promotion with the current time, current + 1 day / 1 hour. 
5) Have an 'end of queue' option, where it looks for the last scheduled promoted post and sets the one you're working on to go live at that time + X hours.  

Is anyone else cough cough @Matt cough cough seeing oddities with the display of reaction data in the Our Picks widget? It's either not displaying, or not updating, or... I don't know. 

I *think* what's happening is that 

a) It's not showing reaction *numbers* like you get usually and
b) It's not picking up reactions from... topics? It's getting them for topic replies, blog posts, blog comments, but not the first post of a topic?

• Management
14 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Am I missing something? Is there no way to promote a Pages article?  I can promote forum posts, but no option for articles. 

You likely have outdated templates.

1 hour ago, rgf100 said:

Is anyone else cough cough @Matt cough cough seeing oddities with the display of reaction data in the Our Picks widget? It's either not displaying, or not updating, or... I don't know. 

I *think* what's happening is that 

a) It's not showing reaction *numbers* like you get usually and
b) It's not picking up reactions from... topics? It's getting them for topic replies, blog posts, blog comments, but not the first post of a topic?

If you have a reproducible test case, pop a ticket in for me, thanks.

5 hours ago, PPlanet said:

It would be great if promotions, apart from being scheduled, could randomly be retweeted when there's nothing else to promote for any given duration of time. That's what Joocial does on Joomla with what they call Evergreens.

So you're saying do it automatically? Flag items as evergreen and allow the system to push one out on an empty queue day? I sort of like this.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

You likely have outdated templates.

If you have a reproducible test case, pop a ticket in for me, thanks.

So you're saying do it automatically? Flag items as evergreen and allow the system to push one out on an empty queue day? I sort of like this.

Thanks, I reverted the template and it showed up.

I like the evergreen idea also.

Archived