Feedback on Social Promotions / Our Picks

Joel R

Started another deep dive into "Social Promotion" since I think this is one of the more interesting additions to 4.2.  

Things I like:

• Scheduler
  • Bitly URL shortener (didn't see this in the preview, so this must be new)
  • Our Picks page.  

Major things to improve:

• Manage Promoted Items -- I'd like to be able to 1. rearrange the order of picks and 2. publish immediately.  This can be important if I choose a bunch of picks while browsing my community, but then need to arrange them in the proper order.  
  • Promote Content -- Please verify that all content items are promotable.  For example, gallery images do not have promote option, but the gallery comment does.  
  • Use Image on IP.Download, IP.Gallery -- If you're promoting an item like an IP.Download file or IP.Gallery image, it would make sense to auto-use the respective screenshot or image.  

Minor things to improve:

• Upload images -- Should change dropzone color
  • "Are you sure you want to delete this promoted item?" -- Change to "Are you sure you want to delete this promoted item from Our Picks?" 
  • Add button on 'Our Picks' to 'Manage Promoted Items' -- I shouldn't have to go through the User Menu.
  • When uploading more than 1 image, choose which one is cover-- Like IP.Downloads screenshots
  • Widget still shows right-arrow  when no picks to load

Things that confuse me

• "Don't share to the community on this occasion" -- I think this means don't push to Our Picks?  Based upon my testing, I think that's what it does.  Not sure why it closes the text editor.  
  • Manage Promoted Items > "Successful share to internal" -- I don't understand the difference between the two icons "Successful share to Internal" and "Also shared on internal."  One is gray; one is green. Both virtually say the same thing.  

While IPS carefully ponders and implements all of my excellent feedback, here are some juicy screenshots of Social Promotion in action:

2017-06-30-23-30-demo.adonismale_com.thumb.png.ce09e4a50e6aa13ce61c07e4ed120c62.png

The all-new Our Picks page.  Beautifully responsive. Notice how you can upload multiple photos to a promotion.

2017-06-30-22-57-demo.adonismale_com.thumb.png.eaecc7f93bad061d58898eb5403bd7fb.png

Manage Promoted Items.  A new menu option for users with permission.  Notice the time history (eg. Sent 4 minutes ago).  

Widget.thumb.JPG.a032725c8c55416d930f89619a2f9e9a.JPG

Widget is ... okay.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with your points ther @Joel R

I would like to add: When I promote a post I would have liked to have the opportunity to alter the position of the image. Like when I promote a post with an image of a mountain with the desert in front it looks like this Capture.JPG.54d22a7c06d40623efc7d6cf2e60583f.JPG - I need the ability to move to the part of the image I like to present.

I played around with promoting stuff to facebook and I notice that when I post to fb the way I've always done - when people click on the image they are taken to my site. But with this promotion, they just see the pictures.. I might have missed a setting somewhere..

For us we will use the Our picks to promote old stuff from our site from the past, and we need to be able to move stuff around..The promote to facebook is easier to create a post on the page..

29 minutes ago, Michael R said:

How do you actually go about promoting something? This is not very intuitive.

First you have to enable it from the adminCP --> system --> social media promotion --> our picks --> enable

After that a "promote" button will appear on any content

29 minutes ago, GrooveOnBeat said:

Can promoted content be published immediately (on the fly) or does it require the scheduler?

you have the following options:

Schedule now 
Promotions are sent in batches every few minutes.

Auto schedule - Uses your scheduled time slots from the admin cp.
The next auto scheduled spot is August 17, 2017 12:00 PM (using Europe/London timezone).

Custom schedule 
Specify a time using London timezone

Now that i'm using Our Picks live on my website, here are some suggestions:

• Warning notice when I promote with no picture
  • Not really sure why I need to wait when immediately publishing in next batch
  • Allow me to edit my "Our Picks" page.  I can edit Twitter and FB posts after the fact, but not my own community.  

On 8/16/2017 at 11:14 PM, MikeChristopher said:

you have the following options:

Schedule now 
Promotions are sent in batches every few minutes.

Auto schedule - Uses your scheduled time slots from the admin cp.
The next auto scheduled spot is August 17, 2017 12:00 PM (using Europe/London timezone).

Custom schedule 
Specify a time using London timezone

Too bad promotions are only by schedules. 

I like to suggest a "Promote Now" option, for content that I want to promote...well...right now. :lol:

Sometimes I may want to do a one-time promotion and that's it. I don't need batches in these cases.

4 hours ago, GrooveOnBeat said:

Too bad promotions are only by schedules. 

I like to suggest a "Promote Now" option, for content that I want to promote...well...right now. :lol:

Sometimes I may want to do a one-time promotion and that's it. I don't need batches in these cases.

Use "Schedule: Next Batch."  It takes a minute or so, but it's the closest to immediate you'll get. 

• Management

The reason we don't offer an immediate option is because it can take a while to send data to the social networks. Say you added 5 pictures and sent 5 to Facebook and 3 to Twitter, that could feasibly take more than 30 seconds to do and some servers have a 30 second time out, so you would likely hit a server error page now and again when promoting. Allowing the background task to pick it up and send it is a much more elegant solution even if there are a few minutes before it is sent.

More suggestions:

• Notify me when integration with FB or TW fails.  I didn't realize my posts weren't shared until many days later.  
  • It bothers me to no end that I can't edit promotions directly on Our Picks page as the Administrator.
  • I made this suggestion during the beta / preview phase, and I still believe in its value: auto-promotion of items in certain categories.

5 minutes ago, Joel R said:
  • It bothers me to no end that I can't edit promotions directly on Our Picks page as the Administrator.

Editing text promotions is possible through the option 'manage promoted items' in a personal dropdown menu, but it would be good to be able to edit images as well.

Just now, Adlago said:

Editing text promotions is possible through the option 'manage promoted items' in a personal dropdown menu, but it would be good to be able to edit images as well.

Yes, I'm aware.  But that only allows you to edit your own items, and you must go through menu.  I want to be able to edit all items directly from Our Picks page.  

The images are ... poorly developed.  If you multi-select, you can't choose the primary.  There's no recommended size, no position shifting, no cropping, can't change images, etc.

Archived