CKEditor - TypeError: e is null[Learn More]

soap_box

Sometimes I click on the reply box at the bottom of a thread to expand it, and the WYSIWYG doesn't load, only the grey attachment area appears, like this:

image.thumb.png.baa8a0cecc3d542c877fa7a7df4fe81b.png

Anyone else ever have this? I can't recreate it on these boards so I'm wondering if it's something I broke, although I can't imagine how, I don't have any custom javascript.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I found another person with this issue from 2015, I can't really be alone in this? It happens frequently now, people are complaining that they can't post. I've tried waiting for js to finish loading before clicking and either way it can happen.

Does anyone know how to use js to forcibly expand Ckeditor from the starting point? I wont care about longer load times if it works.

Your best path is to submit a ticket for IPS technicians to investigate.  

Make sure your theme files correct, test on the default theme, make sure you're not using a CDN like Cloudflare's Rocketloader, see if it's just you or other members, clear your community cache, clear your browser cache, etc.  

This happens to me from time to time as well, and I'm on a linux VPS.  For me, however, it tends to happen more in the adminCP.

I know this might not be helpful for your members, but for my part I know that if I close the page that doesn't load and open a different page that also requires the CKeditor window, it will load.  Then (I assume because it's now buffered or something) it will load on all subsequent pages.

I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not alone in this! I've looked at dev tools before, that's where I saw the original typeerror, but errors on there are inconsistent. I do have cloudflare but I'm not using any minifying tools afaik. I wish there was simply an option to turn off the collapsing feature.

On 12/12/2017 at 6:14 PM, Joel R said:

Your best path is to submit a ticket for IPS technicians to investigate.  

Make sure your theme files correct, test on the default theme, make sure you're not using a CDN like Cloudflare's Rocketloader, see if it's just you or other members, clear your community cache, clear your browser cache, etc.  

I have, the response was just "maybe its because you click on it before your javascript has loaded" (as if this would be an acceptable UX even if it was true! Some people have slow connections, doesnt mean the most clicked thing on the page should feasibly break itself on click)

1 minute ago, soap_box said:

I wish there was simply an option to turn off the collapsing feature.

Well, it's not a feature - ckeditor hasn't collapsed, it has simply failed to load. It's trying to figure out why it has failed to load that is the holy grail here.

Do you have a reproducible scenario where this happens? Can you provide a link to your site, along with login credentials (assuming that guests cannot post)?

7 minutes ago, soap_box said:

I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not alone in this! I've looked at dev tools before, that's where I saw the original typeerror, but errors on there are inconsistent. I do have cloudflare but I'm not using any minifying tools afaik. I wish there was simply an option to turn off the collapsing feature.

Try bypassing cloudflare and clear your cloudflare cache. See if that does anything. Worth figuring out if it’s a server side issue or a cloudflare issue. 

On 12/14/2017 at 10:49 AM, soap_box said:

I have, the response was just "maybe its because you click on it before your javascript has loaded" (as if this would be an acceptable UX even if it was true! Some people have slow connections, doesnt mean the most clicked thing on the page should feasibly break itself on click)

Is this regarding your ticket filed in September? If so, what you put in quotes is not what I said.

My reply asked you to make sure the page was fully loaded, yes, but also to let us know whether the same thing happened if it was. However, you did not reply to the ticket.

As mentioned above, if you are still having this problem and are using Cloudflare, then disable that completely and see if that resolves the issue.

If it does not, please open another ticket and reference this topic. We'll be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Archived