Success with Plug Ins?

Allen Bradford

I've learned during my short tenure as a Member of this Forum that many if not most Members are very savvy as far as backend script and coding, and generally comfortable fooling with the IPS software, including using the available Plug Ins. Count me as being not one of those Members...I'm mainly a front-end owner, Administrator, Moderator of a Board/Forums. Haven struggled along with the old software Ikonboard for way too many years prior to an IPS Conversion, I'm a bit flinchy let's say. I simply prefer to stay native to the IPS software, as is, rather than risk incompatibilities or glitches upon Upgrades and when "customizing" the software. But occasionally there is a function I miss or want and my only alternative is to consider a Plug In. Being able to have subtitles to main titles in Topics is an example. So, generally how secure and compatible are the available Plug Ins? Is installing Plug Ins a smooth and hassle free exercise? I have read here on occasion that Upgrades seem to glitch up Plug Ins and it's suggested to turn them off when an issue arises. True?  If an issue arises with a Plug In upon install or after, will IPS Support as part of my Cloud Hosting Package help fix it? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I've learned during my short tenure as a Member of this Forum that many if not most Members are very savvy as far as backend script and coding, and generally comfortable fooling with the IPS software, including using the available Plug Ins. Count me as being not one of those Members...I'm mainly a front-end owner, Administrator, Moderator of a Board/Forums. Haven struggled along with the old software Ikonboard for way too many years prior to an IPS Conversion, I'm a bit flinchy let's say. I simply prefer to stay native to the IPS software, as is, rather than risk incompatibilities or glitches upon Upgrades and when "customizing" the software. But occasionally there is a function I miss or want and my only alternative is to consider a Plug In. Being able to have subtitles to main titles in Topics is an example. So, generally how secure and compatible are the available Plug Ins? Is installing Plug Ins a smooth and hassle free exercise? I have read here on occasion that Upgrades seem to glitch up Plug Ins and it's suggested to turn them off when an issue arises. True?  If an issue arises with a Plug In upon install or after, will IPS Support as part of my Cloud Hosting Package help fix it? Thanks.

I would say that they are pretty secure. All the items that are uploaded in the MP are downloaded and checked by staff before they are aprroved. Should a problem occur with an item, you can report it and the Ipb staff will look into it.

With regards to upgrades, the general rule is that plugins/applications should work fine with new minor versions. When a new major version is released that changes things quite drastically, it can render third party plugins/skins uncompatible. I do not think that Ips provides support for third party plugins/applications. You must contact their developers should you have any issues with the plugins/apps that you are using. And yes, installing a plugin is very smooth. It can be done with just a couple of clicks. 

5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

- Installation / de-installation is easy

- You should only install a plugin or app if you find it necessary. 

- You should always thoroughly vet a developer and his level of service before purchase.  For example, Mike John, Adriano Faria, newbieLAC, and onlyME are safe.  There are countless examples of other developers who have left the Marketplace and leave their apps and plugins unsupported.    There are other developers who take over mods and live off the royalties without supporting them.  There is always that risk.  

- Plugins are generally single-purpose and fairly small, so those tend to persist through the upgrades without problems.  Apps can be fairly complex, and will usually require lots of additional support and development by the dev. 

- Hell no IPS won't support third-party plugins.  

- I use 25 plugins and 8 apps (in addition to the IPS apps).  I couldn't survive without them.  

Oh now there is an idea. Security hardening service on apps and plugins. Special badge in store for those that undergo it. Devs can pay IPS or a third party to have their plugin or app checked for security flaws!

Or is this not needed. Just throwing it out anyway!

Think IPS should impliment a system where if you haven't updated your app/plugin within a year it's removed until you do. Nothing stopping devs updating the plugin page to say, this still supports 4.x.x as of xxx date. This way, we're not left with plugins that are no longer support nor work.

14 minutes ago, CP_User said:

Think IPS should impliment a system where if you haven't updated your app/plugin within a year it's removed until you do. Nothing stopping devs updating the plugin page to say, this still supports 4.x.x as of xxx date. This way, we're not left with plugins that are no longer support nor work.

There are plugins prefixed here with ...40, which means they're from IPS 4.0 series, that works in 4.0.X, 4.1.X and so far works in 4.20 Beta. So they should be removed? Should I waste time to update a description? Why can't you waste your time and ask to the dev if it's compatible? Or even better: test and post in the support topic?

See, it's just a point of view! :)

20 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

There are plugins prefixed here with ...40, which means they're from IPS 4.0 series, that works in 4.0.X, 4.1.X and so far works in 4.20 Beta. So they should be removed? Should I waste time to update a description? Why can't you waste your time and ask to the dev if it's compatible? Or even better: test and post in the support topic?

See, it's just a point of view! :)

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

I think before even considering any plugin/App for IPS, forum owners should ask themselves: "Do I [my community] really need this functionality to address an actual issue, or is it a case of having a hammer and only seeing nails?"

I think there are some genuinely useful plugins and apps that address shortcomings in the IPS software, but every community is different, with different needs. Sometimes a change in user behaviour or process can eliminate the need for a plugin, and all that comes with it.

Archived