Likes need two clicks now?

Square Wheels

59 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

People are genuinely confused because they have to tap something twice and the solution is to make them learn to long press? OK...

Long press for options, short press for single click "like"

5 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

Or you could just tap twice, rather than rely on pressure which is not guaranteed across devices.

What is wrong with tapping twice?

I don't have a problem with it. Actually you bring up a great point that I have not considered. Great idea!

I can understand that people are frustrated when something takes twice as much effort as it used to, however I have yet to see anybody explain why tapping twice is considered egregious to the point where it is worth asking for the mechanism to be changed to rely on pressure.

Did I miss something?

Oh I see what you mean. what I want is that 1 tap = like

2 taps or long press = options. I guess it would be 3 taps then because one more would be needed to select the reaction.

I might be back on the longpress bandwagon.

I will give it a shot but something tells me it will be difficult to make a compelling case over a trivial click.

• Despite being trivial, ease of use is goal, and it's the little polish that makes a great product.
  • Users expect a single click as industry standard (facebook) has trained them to expect single click.
  • If it's not as smooth as possible then it's confusing and thus leaves a negative overall impression of ones website.
  • It will be used more if it's a single click. Over time this can lead to 1000's more reactions in place and thus more user engagement.
  • The minute benefit over Multiple and MANY websites using IPS compounds greatly and thus outweighs any development time and focus.
  • The desire to do something right should be a focus.
  • The very fact the this is trivial is why it's so frustrating to users. Users find themselves wondering why something so "easy", "obvious" and simple was botched. Overlooking the obvious is a big turnoff to users.

That's my initial stab at it.. What do you think?

1 hour ago, superj707 said:

I will give it a shot but something tells me it will be difficult to make a compelling case over a trivial click.

• Despite being trivial, ease of use is goal, and it's the little polish that makes a great product.
  • Users expect a single click as industry standard (facebook) has trained them to expect single click.
  • If it's not as smooth as possible then it's confusing and thus leaves a negative overall impression of ones website.
  • It will be used more if it's a single click. Over time this can lead to 1000's more reactions in place and thus more user engagement.
  • The minute benefit over Multiple and MANY websites using IPS compounds greatly and thus outweighs any development time and focus.
  • The desire to do something right should be a focus.
  • The very fact the this is trivial is why it's so frustrating to users. Users find themselves wondering why something so "easy", "obvious" and simple was botched. Overlooking the obvious is a big turnoff to users.

That's my initial stab at it.. What do you think?

Eh. It's not relevant to me but I can understand that ad-driven sites and the like care about it.

On 26/06/2017 at 10:11 PM, marklcfc said:

I must admit this has been a concern of mine too. As mentioned I think a long press on mobile should give the options and then move to your selection, where you would then take your finger off the screen to select it = one press. One short press should = like.

These are still my thoughts, incase anyone was interested :ph34r:

Archived