How do I send an email with my own HTML?

Matt Enloe

Using the bulk mail system in IP.Board, I can't see a way to opt-out of the traditional wrapper, and it's messing up my CSS. I don't know enough about XML, PHP, etc. to write a new template in IPB from scratch, I just want to be able to send an email that looks the way I want if I design it with an external editor.

I can post the code for the email if necessary, but it shouldn't be.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there @Matt Enloe.

You can actually edit the default email wrapper and change it to whatever you would like.

1. To do this go to "Emails" under the customization/appearance tab in your ACP.
  2. Search for "wrapper" using the serach.
  3. You should see something called "Email Wrapper". Edit this.
  4. Edit the HTML and plain text versions of the wrapper and save it.

You can see the wrapper template on the mains template screen by clicking "Preview Wrapper" in the top right.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:38 PM, Jennifer M said:

Hey there @Matt Enloe.

You can actually edit the default email wrapper and change it to whatever you would like.

1. To do this go to "Emails" under the customization/appearance tab in your ACP.
  2. Search for "wrapper" using the serach.
  3. You should see something called "Email Wrapper". Edit this.
  4. Edit the HTML and plain text versions of the wrapper and save it.

You can see the wrapper template on the mains template screen by clicking "Preview Wrapper" in the top right.

Hi Jennifer! It looks like this uses a lot of PHP that I'm not familiar with. I have some intuition about how it functions, but is there documentation of this?

I see the preview wrapper button, but it only appears to create a preview of the HTML, and without user-specific stuff. Is there a more elaborate preview, or do I have to go to the mail creation screen to see that?

Thanks a lot!

This is literally just the wrapper so it's what wraps around whatever you put into your bulk email (this should not be the email itself with the user specific stuff).

There is no PHP in it but there is IPS logic (which is similar but not the same). There is no specific documentation on this however if you have specific questions about what you are seeing I'm sure that someone (or myself) can point you in the right direction.

Just now, Jennifer M said:

This is literally just the wrapper so it's what wraps around whatever you put into your bulk email (this should not be the email itself with the user specific stuff).

There is no PHP in it but there is IPS logic (which is similar but not the same). There is no specific documentation on this however if you have specific questions about what you are seeing I'm sure that someone (or myself) can point you in the right direction.

Thanks, and thanks for the quick reply! I'll give it a shot and write back if I get stuck.

Question - does the "Email Wrapper" also affect general forum emails? Or is it possible to use a different wrapper for bulk emails and forum emails?

I was able to send a bulk email with the formatting I wanted, but I want to use different wrappers for general emails and bulk emails.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to change the background but am having an issue finding what controls the font color for the text on the bottom of the email like: 

You are receiving this email because....

I'd like to change that to #FFF without affecting the body of the email or having to edit all the templates.

Archived