"Moderate Content" accounts circumvention exploit

arbee

For a few years now all our regulars are accustomed to an "Unlimited" edit-time-limit on their posts. We have recently discovered that accounts flagged with "Moderate Content" can still edit all their old posts to whatever they want as a way to bypass the rule. Hence we changed the edit time limit to 1440 minutes for most everyone (in our case we call them (their group) "Full Members"). However, now there's an uproar.

Apparently there is no way for moderators (not admin) to change the GROUP a user is in. This would have been a way to have a different edit time limit for those who are in "Moderate Content" status.

Can you consider making people who are in "Moderate Content" status automatically not have the ability to edit their past posts? This seems like a logical thing to do (in 100% of all cases in any forum) since anyone who is in this status aren't trusted with whatever content they are trying to post (including editing/changing a past post to circumvent).

moderatecontent2.PNG

I have previously posted about this as a ticket in the client area. The support guys agreed with what I said but said they are not part of the dev team and that it was best to post it here to garner more support to have this changed.

This was the reply I got from my ticket prior to my closing the ticket. I have left out the name of the support staff because I don't want to put him "on the spot":

"Yes, I personally agree but we in Support are not on the development team, so please post this in our suggestions forum as my colleague noted, where others can add their support to the suggested change."

Well it sure seems I am unable to get people to "add their support to the suggested change". I suppose that's because most people will just ban the user without giving them a chance. However, it just seems like a OBVIOUS thing to do. If you need to moderate a user's content before it posts then there should LOGICALLY be no reason to let them circumvent by altering a past approved post. Could anyone at Invision please just see this as a logical step and decide that it's the best thing to do?

Archived