Jump to content

Google AdSense Warning


HighlanderICT

Recommended Posts

Location Location Location. Are we in a forum that needs ads restricted and are we in a topic that resides in one of those restricted ad forums.

I don't know why anyone would worry about EOL as this has been a stable way of removing ads since 3.4.x but nothing is ever guaranteed to set it and forget it. If you're waiting on IPS to include this in your distro then by all means but since it is IPS' position that they don't want anything to do with your income (read: being responsible for your money) I don't see this happening anytime soon. However, I've been surprised before.

What I provided is the quickest way to wrap the stock locations (4 different templates) and allows you the most flexibility. Lead a horse to water and all that.

If you don't want your publishing account closed I'd suggest using something to clear the policy violation.

 

 

Edited by thompsone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2017 at 4:39 AM, Lindy said:

Just to note, we're aware of this concern and are considering solutions such as an option to exclude ads on login, error, register and pages that guests cannot access. 

Any news? This would be great! @Lindy

Edited by daunk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My solution is to set CSS exclusions in the theme custom.css file. This example only works for responsive Adsense ads:

body[data-pageapp="core"][data-pagecontroller="login"] ins.adsbygoogle { 
  display: none !important; 
}
body[data-pageapp="core"][data-pagecontroller="register"] ins.adsbygoogle { 
  display: none !important; 
}

The 'ins.adsbygoogle' ID is simply set not to display, making this compliant with Google's policy for hiding asynchronous responsive Adsense ads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 11/1/2017 at 12:03 PM, crmarks said:

My solution is to set CSS exclusions in the theme custom.css file. This example only works for responsive Adsense ads:


body[data-pageapp="core"][data-pagecontroller="login"] ins.adsbygoogle { 
  display: none !important; 
}
body[data-pageapp="core"][data-pagecontroller="register"] ins.adsbygoogle { 
  display: none !important; 
}

The 'ins.adsbygoogle' ID is simply set not to display, making this compliant with Google's policy for hiding asynchronous responsive Adsense ads.

Google can be pretty confusing tbh. In their docs, they state,

Screenshot_4.png.9189bb4a0b90d9bed0b54e4406b5d20d.png

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1354736?hl=en

So technically, using CSS to avoid displaying the ad on the login and register pages is something we want to avoid doing. We're not using display: none for responsive units, but rather not displaying the ad at all, on all screen sizes.

But no request will be made to that unit, so they wouldn't particularly know that the site is using display: none to fully hide an ad unit anyway.

I think the safest way would be to use @thompsone's code.

With that said, there is a site I use display:none (and have for years) with zero problems. Still, I'm curious if this is something Google would openly say is okay to do, since it really doesn't seem like it should matter. 

Edited by Cemmos
grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Cemmos said:

Google can be pretty confusing tbh. In their docs, they state,

Screenshot_4.png.9189bb4a0b90d9bed0b54e4406b5d20d.png

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1354736?hl=en

So technically, using CSS to avoid displaying the ad on the login and register pages is something we want to avoid doing. We're not using display: none for responsive units, but rather not displaying the ad at all, on all screen sizes.

But no request will be made to that unit, so they wouldn't particularly know that the site is using display: none to fully hide an ad unit anyway.

I think the safest way would be to use @thompsone's code.

With that said, there is a site I use display:none (and have for years) with zero problems. Still, I'm curious if this is something Google would openly say is okay to do, since it really doesn't seem like it should matter. 

Adsense asks you to avoid using css display:none because its use skews the site data used for ad buyers and because there's no way for buyers to know which locations are hidden. The larger the site traffic numbers the more skewed the numbers and Adsense will complain. Transaction: the site calls for the ad, Adsense records the view and sends the ad, the site renders the page but doesn't display the ad. In what I provided the site never makes the ad request because it's excluded and therefore never rendered. When thinking about how many ads you should exclude you also have to remember that profiles (if set to no guest access), settings, DMs, and all places that guests can't see are also violations as are the login pages, reset password page, private forums, and the list goes on. You can see how the display data can get skewed easily under normal use and it should be avoided as Adsense sites in their example @Cemmos provided.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2017 at 1:39 AM, Lindy said:

Just to note, we're aware of this concern and are considering solutions such as an option to exclude ads on login, error, register and pages that guests cannot access. 

Will these changes be in 4.3?

In recent days I've had 4 notifications all with variations of the login page. I installed a plugin recommended by a user on this topic and the banners no longer appear on the page, but I believe that some page level ads for mobile are ignoring the plugin.

violacoes_login.thumb.png.708a90de3b0286ef4963a35963edd3bc.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Silnei L Andrade said:

Will these changes be in 4.3?

In recent days I've had 4 notifications all with variations of the login page. I installed a plugin recommended by a user on this topic and the banners no longer appear on the page, but I believe that some page level ads for mobile are ignoring the plugin.

violacoes_login.thumb.png.708a90de3b0286ef4963a35963edd3bc.png

Based on a response I got when I reached out to support, I don't believe any fixes for this issue will be in 4.3 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just started getting these warnings as well. Please, this has to be fixed in 4.3 our ads (just like other forum owners) is what pays for our community. If we get stopped by Google because or worse lose our AdSense account then we could also potentially lose our forum.  

Is there no way to stop showing ads on login, error and private forum areas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gavpedz said:

Is there no way to stop showing ads on login, error and private forum areas.

There is using custom keys which are built into the software, yes it can be a pain but manually inserting them into templates rather than using the global options available completely removes any issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick guide for you @gavpedz, maybe better ways but this is what I use and have no Adsense warnings as they only display on the home page, within forums and topics. In my own personal experience adverts have never performed on profile pages and within searches. If you do want ads displayed in other areas let me know and I'll hunt out the templates for you.

Forum Home Page

Forums > front > index > index

Place your custom key {advertisement="KEY"} at the very top and bottom of this template for an advert to be displayed below the header and above the widget area at the bottom of the page.

*When creating keys it's best to create a new one for each area so you can monitor how well adverts are performing.

Inside Forums

Forums > front > forums > forumDisplay

Again, place your custom key at the very top and bottom for an advert to be displayed above and below the content.

To exclude adverts from showing in certain boards use

{{if ( \IPS\Request::i()->controller == 'forums' AND isset( \IPS\Request::i()->id ) AND ! in_array( \IPS\Request::i()->id, array( 9 ) ) ) }}
{advertisement="KEY"}
{{endif}}

Where you see 9, replace that with the forum ID number you wish to hide them from, use commas between each number if you wish to hide from multiple forums.

If you are using advert after the first topic and have private areas where you don't wish to display an advert

Forums > front > forums > topicRow

Row 9, replace

{{if $rowCount == 1 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}

With 

 {{if ( \IPS\Request::i()->controller == 'forums' AND isset( \IPS\Request::i()->id ) AND ! in_array( \IPS\Request::i()->id, array( 9 ) ) ) }}
		{{if $rowCount == 1 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}
       {{endif}}

Again replacing the 9 with your forum ID.

Topic Page

Forums > front > topics > topic

Same as before place your custom key at the very top or bottom if you want to display adverts above and below topics.

To exclude adverts from showing in topics that are in private areas use

{{if \IPS\Request::i()->app == 'forums' and \IPS\Request::i()->module == 'forums' and \IPS\Request::i()->controller == 'topic'}}
	{{$forumId = 0; try { $topic = \IPS\forums\Topic::loadAndCheckPerms( \IPS\Request::i()->id ); $forumId = $topic->forum_id; } catch( \Exception $e ) {};}}
{{endif}}
{{if !in_array($forumId, array(9))}}
{advertisement="KEY"}
{{endif}}

Replace 9 with the forum ID number you wish to hide them from.

If you are not displaying ads in some forums and wish to display a advert after the first post find Row 283 in the same template and

replace this

{{if $postCount == 1 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_topic_view' )}}
						{$advertisement|raw}
					{{endif}}

With

{{if !in_array($forumId, array(9))}}
{{if $postCount == 1 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_topic_view' )}}
						{$advertisement|raw}
					{{endif}}
{{endif}}

Again changing 9 with your forum ID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TheJackal84 said:

if you are going to use @daveoh way then you need to know that hard editing a template will cause it to not get updated with any changes either IPS or the author of the 3rd party theme make, when you modify them it ignores updating them on updates you will need to go in restore the original way then re-do what you done previously.

True, should have mentioned this.

Not ideal, but only an extra 5 minutes tinkering when you upgrade.

Would be nice to see more options built in by default to avoid all this, Adsense being the most popular ways to monetise a site it's a shame IPS leave us hanging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2017 at 11:39 PM, Lindy said:

Just to note, we're aware of this concern and are considering solutions such as an option to exclude ads on login, error, register and pages that guests cannot access. 

Hi @Lindy, any updates on this.  As many have pointed out, some of our site make money, and Google is not shy about pulling your Adsence out from under you with very little warning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 12:05 PM, Square Wheels said:

Hi @Lindy, any updates on this.  As many have pointed out, some of our site make money, and Google is not shy about pulling your Adsence out from under you with very little warning.

@Lindy?

On 2/22/2018 at 2:32 AM, newbie LAC said:

Free solution

 

I tried that in the past, and it didn't work for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...