Do i need to have a second license for IPS 4.2 ?

Just now, Orlando Delcid said:

Hello everyone, i recently discovered availability of IPS 4.2 Beta 4 in Client area. I Run 4.1.x Community, but i badly want to try out 4.2 version, so do i need another license for it OR If i make a   /test directory under licensed URL, it will work ? 

You are permitted to run a second, closed instance for testing purposes.

7 minutes ago, Orlando Delcid said:

@Randy Calvert Its saying that provide license key but its already used, how can i now use 4.2 for test purpose ?

To clarify, test sites should be on a local test server, if they are are on a public web server, they must be locked down with htaccess so they are not available to the public, turning them "offline" isn't enough in this case though. 

To use this test/dev license, use your license key appended with -TESTINSTALL 

4 minutes ago, Rhett said:

To clarify, test sites should be on a local test server, if they are are on a public web server, they must be locked down with htaccess so they are not available to the public, turning them "offline" isn't enough in this case though. 

To use this test/dev license, use your license key appended with -TESTINSTALL 

is this due to 4.2 being a beta? or is this a new thing, cause i've always used the dev with registration disabled, but public available to use as a sorta demo. 

2 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

is this due to 4.2 being a beta? or is this a new thing, cause i've always used the dev with registration disabled, but public available to use as a sorta demo. 

No this has always been the case, there seems to have been some confusion or people miss the "private/isolated" part of the license agreement though, so I wanted to point it out. 

2. LICENSE SCOPE AND GRANT

In consideration for payment of all applicable license fees and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, IPS grants you a revocable, limited and non-exclusive license to install and use the Software and Services on a single installation, accessible via one URL. Access to services, components, software updates and technical support require an active license. All rights in and to the Software and Services are reserved to the use and benefit of IPS and/or its licensors, successors and assigners.

• Test Installation. You may install and test one additional instance of the Software for the purpose of development and testing. This installation must be and remain isolated and inaccessible to the general public at all times.

• 5 months later...

I have 2 websites and one with a lifetime license is running the last 3.4 version. It is very custom and I may never get it to work with 4..2 and may have to stay at 3.4. The one running 4.2 is basically dead and has no business and may eventually be dismantled.  Anyways I just renewed the license support for $40 for that 4.2 site. And am gonna be running a test for the old site on that domain with its own cpanel to see if I can get it working. It will have PHP 7 which I have not been using. I didn't want the old sites test on its own domain for multiple reasons such as the 3.4 domain gets more badies visiting. And overall is much busier. Is this idea a problem? Well and plus I may need to keep my 3.4 license if I can't get it to work.

I was gonna try the 4.2 site first with the PHP 7, delete then try the 3.4 site which will be a bear. Or do I even need to test the 4.2 site with PHP7 and just flip the switch? Not like it is in use anyways.... True so basically it is like a test in itself. 

Archived