Mass delete PMS?

RSAC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 0:32 PM, socceronly said:

If you can find a way to mass delete PMS, you will be very very rich. 

Sucks for communities with staff bots. It's always fun logging into an old account and just now getting a private message from 2012 about a maintenance reminder.

• 6 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 9:48 AM, CP_User said:

Do you have the SQL command, which would be helpful :D

Write about a 20 line php script to do the sql. There are three sql message tables that interact with each other. Do a select on one of the tables based on your criteria. Then loop through the results array and remove entries from all three tables with the matching private message topic id. Study the tables a little and understand what the fields and mappings are. It should take about an hour or two to write.

Obviously, give members some advance notice of this, do a backup, and test with manual sql lines, debug output lines and small limits before operating on live data. Of course, if there's something else I'm missing that's linked in another table somewhere I don't know. I've already done it. It seems to work. You'll need to write it on your own though. I don't mind the risk on my own board. I have mine set for 36 months retention from the time of the last post in a PM topic except for the bot account which is 3 months.

4 hours ago, prupdated said:

Write about a 20 line php script to do the sql. There are three sql message tables that interact with each other. Do a select on one of the tables based on your criteria. Then loop through the results array and remove entries from all three tables with the matching private message topic id. Study the tables a little and understand what the fields and mappings are. It should take about an hour or two to write.

Obviously, give members some advance notice of this, do a backup, and test with manual sql lines, debug output lines and small limits before operating on live data. Of course, if there's something else I'm missing that's linked in another table somewhere I don't know. I've already done it. It seems to work. You'll need to write it on your own though. I don't mind the risk on my own board. I have mine set for 36 months retention from the time of the last post in a PM topic except for the bot account which is 3 months.

That’s not the best way to go. There are other tables to update like core_members. A plugin is the best thing to do, by looping data, comparig the groups or conversation last post, loading the conversation and then simply using a $conversation->delete():. It will take care of all related data. 

Ps: totally untested and it is just a guess without look any line of code.

9 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

That’s not the best way to go. There are other tables to update like core_members. A plugin is the best thing to do, by looping data, comparig the groups or conversation last post, loading the conversation and then simply using a $conversation->delete():. It will take care of all related data. 

Ps: totally untested and it is just a guess without look any line of code.

Great ideas so far. Maybe you can write one? Many people here would surely love to see it. It doesn’t seem too complex. It almost seems like this should be built in.

So far what I did seems to be working though in trimming off about half a million private messages from over 3 years ago. I can’t really wait another several years because it’s a struggle sometimes to keep the board running smoothly.

The problem is with bloated tables like this, notifications, and search, some forums such as mine (several million posts) can really start bogging down. And I can’t really justify throwing more hardware at it. Once these tables are trimmed up and reoptimized, along with severely limiting search and notification history, and sticking mostly to core functionality, the site runs at about half the cpu / io or less than it would otherwise.

Archived