What happened to 3.x support forums??

IPS wants you on 4.x, simple as that.

I also find that pretty sneaky and disappointing, these forums were full of useful information, if you don't want people to talk about 3.x series, you could just archive them, not remove them completely.

5 hours ago, Nuker said:

Hi,

I opened a topic on 3.x core support forums but now those forums are gone and I cant see my own topic. Whats going on??

IPB3 is no longer available - it is 'end of life', and therefore no longer supported, and you should upgrade to the newer version.

We can make IPB3 available via a support ticket in cases where someone is planning to upgrade from IPB1 or IPB2, as a stepping stone to IPS4, but otherwise I am afraid it isn't available.

I'd recommend that you renew your license and upgrade to the latest version. With v.4.2 around the corner, it's well worth the upgrade. Modern, smooth, fluid, and such a pleasure to use!

I think its very rude to do that because there is a lot of people who still use 3.x. Besides all that data from the support forums is knowledge and should not be removed because it can always be useful as a reference. Also, I understand IPB staff guys dont want to give support for something deprecated but those forums were client-to-client support, nothing official so IPB was not obliged to give support there anyway.

Now its even worse as they made 3.x forums ACP completely inaccessible. Why do you need to do that?? Really guys, please reconsider this decision.

6 hours ago, Nuker said:

I think its very rude to do that because there is a lot of people who still use 3.x. Besides all that data from the support forums is knowledge and should not be removed because it can always be useful as a reference. Also, I understand IPB staff guys dont want to give support for something deprecated but those forums were client-to-client support, nothing official so IPB was not obliged to give support there anyway.

Now its even worse as they made 3.x forums ACP completely inaccessible. Why do you need to do that?? Really guys, please reconsider this decision.

You have to consider the size of the IPS team and the effort they put into every release. Supporting both 3.x and 4.x is just simply not possible. IPS has always been about innovation and maintaining their lead in the turn-key industry and you cannot do that when you stretch talent to support outdated versions. In with the new out with the old.

23 minutes ago, iDeath said:

You have to consider the size of the IPS team and the effort they put into every release. Supporting both 3.x and 4.x is just simply not possible. IPS has always been about innovation and maintaining their lead in the turn-key industry and you cannot do that when you stretch talent to support outdated versions. In with the new out with the old.

Nobody is asking for IPS to support 3.x. Only request is to not simply remove all the knowledge that was posted in the relevant forums for the previous versions. 

1 hour ago, jair101 said:

Nobody is asking for IPS to support 3.x. Only request is to not simply remove all the knowledge that was posted in the relevant forums for the previous versions. 

Hence "supporting" 3.x.

If you're that miffed about it, I suggest submitting a Support Request and request a response from Lindy and/or Charles.  At minimum you'll have a private conversation with those that can actually revert the change if you can change their mind.  

It is rude

6 hours ago, David.. said:

The product is EOL so it's not very rude.

it is rude because there is still people who use it. I understand if they move the content to a different place but why delete it?

5 hours ago, iDeath said:

You have to consider the size of the IPS team

thats irrelevant since as I already said, they are not OBLIGED to provide support on those forums. Its client-to-client support.

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

if you can change their mind.  

I dont think I can but I think I will give it a try.

7 minutes ago, Nuker said:

it is rude because there is still people who use it.

It is unsupported. So if you're going to use it, you'll have to find support elsewhere since IPS team no longer supports it.

Being non-supported and having a section for IPB3 kind of go against each other.

4 minutes ago, David.. said:

you'll have to find support elsewhere since IPS team no longer supports it.

whats your point there? Official support for those versions was discontinued quite a while ago but the forums still existed because they were CLIENT-to-CLIENT support. I dont know if you understand the term but it means IPB team has nothing to do there so it doesnt hurt at all to keep them.

1 minute ago, Nuker said:

whats your point there? Official support for those versions was discontinued quite a while ago but the forums still existed because they were CLIENT-to-CLIENT support. I dont know if you understand the term but it means IPB team has nothing to do there so it doesnt hurt at all to keep them.

So what happens if someone comes and makes a topic on IPB3 support forums about a very serious exploit?

You're better of making a ticket and seeing what the team says as we're just normal plebs with opinions.

8 minutes ago, David.. said:

So what happens if someone comes and makes a topic on IPB3 support forums about a very serious exploit?

and what if its just a matter that any "plebs" can help you with? Are you serious?

The point of the subject is IPS does not support 3.x at all. This includes in-house support and peer to peer support. Having a section for 3.x would just create more clutter and would be rarely used as the majority of customers are already on 4.x.

Lastly, IPS does not provide support, updates or security fixes for 3.x anymore. It's completely EOL. If you do not want to upgrade to 4.x well then consider this your consolation prize.

40 minutes ago, Nuker said:

It is rude

I don't understand how removing the forums after they have EOL the software is taken as 'rude'.  Frustrating. . maybe but I think calling it rude is stretching the frustration a little too far. 

It's definitely understandable to want 3.X forums around still but as someone mentioned they've removed the forums for older versions as well so should they put that stuff back up? As also mentioned I would recommend reaching out via a support request to see if it's possible to bring 3.X forums back.  But I'm sure the reason that they don't want to do it is because it'll lead to more support requests coming through their support channels because people will see those 3.X forums and want to ask questions about those said topics and then just adds more content to the forums here that's not really needed since 3.X is EOL. 

Also, you need to bear in mind that 3.x forums are going to be a minuscule of IPS's business.  These forums in general only cater to a small fraction of IPS clients.  

Good luck getting them back, but I doubt you'll be successful.  Even if you are, the best you could likely hope for is them turning it on for a short time.  

You've had a heck of a long time to prepare for a 4.x upgrade.  And if you make the decision that 4.x is not for your community, then you must live with the consequences that come with using an EOL product or switch to a product that suits your needs and provides the support you need.

31 minutes ago, Nuker said:

and what if its just a matter that any "plebs" can help you with? Are you serious?

What are you even saying now?

Like I said and many others did, make a support ticket instead of arguing here.

Just now, David.. said:

make a support ticket instead of arguing here.

I already did that and I am not arguing. You were the ones that came over to my topic to spill a lot of garbage all over. I can see you dont give a damn about the 3.x forums, you made your point so now why dont you just leave it alone already?

3 minutes ago, Nuker said:

were the ones that came over to my topic to spill a lot of garbage all over.

If you didn't want this then you have just straight up made a support ticket and NOT have made this topic to begin with.

You make topics so others can share their opinions and ideas and that's what we're doing.

1 hour ago, David.. said:

It is unsupported. So if you're going to use it, you'll have to find support elsewhere since IPS team no longer supports it.

Being non-supported and having a section for IPB3 kind of go against each other.

1 minute ago, David.. said:

You make topics so others can share their opinions and ideas

I opened the topic to ask why IPB did this happen. You are free to give your opinion but you already did so its pointless to keep arguing.

Archived