Now that Chat is dead how to completely remove it?

nodle

So now that Chat app is dead how do we completely remove it? I went ahead and went in my ACP and under application I went ahead and uninstalled it. It will still show under applications not currently installed. Does IPB plan on cleaning it up and on the next update having it removed completely and the files associated with it? Just wondering how you guys are going to handle it?

I'd say just (only after it is uninstalled!) delete the /chat directory from within /applications

It won't show on the list then at all.

Note: only the "chat" directory from within the /applications directory:

chat_go.png

Pic from 'wamp' localhost but you see what I mean hopefully. :) , I would say if in doubt leave it rather than risk deleting something you may need.

It may be possible to write a small script to delete it aka 'unlink' however the sucess of that would depend on if it has sufficient permissions to chmod and then remove said files...

I'm not aware of a 'cleanup' type script for it as such though but I do not deal with any client support / requests as such.

Thanks for the feed back @AndyF. I was just wondering if IPB had plan for a future cleanup script built into their next update since it's dead code now, I figured they will probably remove the code in the next patch. No since in having a future customer install it since it won't work.

7 minutes ago, nodle said:

Thanks for the feed back @AndyF. I was just wondering if IPB had plan for a future cleanup script built into their next update since it's dead code now, I figured they will probably remove the code in the next patch. No since in having a future customer install it since it won't work.

In the 4.2 alpha release it is gone. If it's not removing on upgrade maybe report this in bug tracker. It may be we'd need to remove this manually but since they are discontinuing chat it seems logical to me to have it removed automatically upon 4.2 install/upgrade... But what's logic to me may not be correct :D 

You can uninstall it and, if you want, delete the directory.

We removed it from all generated downloads when the service closed, so any downloads since then won't include it, and the next upgrade (which for most people will be 4.1.19.3) will disable it. 

1 hour ago, Mark said:

You can uninstall it and, if you want, delete the directory.

We removed it from all generated downloads when the service closed, so any downloads since then won't include it, and the next upgrade (which for most people will be 4.1.19.3) will disable it. 

Thanks @Mark for the clarification and feedback.

Archived