Get thumbnail image of linked field from DB Relationsh field

In the basicRelationship template you can use HTML logic in order to show different things for different databases.

{{if $item::$customDatabaseId == 4}}
 // Show item from db 4 ... yes you can access any fields including the record image field
{{else}}
 // Everything else, i.e. what is in the template now
{{endif}}

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

In the basicRelationship template you can use HTML logic in order to show different things for different databases.

// Show item from db 4 ... yes you can access any fields including the record image field
{{else}}
{{endif}}

That's a great tip, however I'd love to have more granular control, for example display Database 1 on database 2 one way and Database 1 on Database 3 in another way.

I can sort of get around this with CSS and display:hide but that's not ideal at all.

17 hours ago, Jacques Corby-Tuech said:

That's a great tip, however I'd love to have more granular control, for example display Database 1 on database 2 one way and Database 1 on Database 3 in another way.

The code for multiple databases would be …

{{elseif $item::$customDatabaseId == 5}}
 // Show item from db 5
{{else}}
{{endif}}

You can check for all sorts of things. 

That being said: I am also interested how to do this easily in a database template. Changing the theme template is easy enough, but if I would want to do that in a Pages template to be put on the Marketplace for example, the theme edit wouldn’t help me very much. 

9 minutes ago, opentype said:

The code for multiple databases would be …

{{elseif $item::$customDatabaseId == 5}}
 // Show item from db 5
{{else}}
{{endif}}

That being said: I am also interested how to do this easily in a database template. Changing the theme template is easy enough, but if I would want to do that in a Pages template to be put on the Marketplace for example, the theme edit wouldn’t help me very much. 

I think my point wasn't as clear as it could be. I want to be able to show items for a specific database, ie databaseID 1 in different ways depending on where it's being shown.

For example a simple list of linked items on DB2, but a complex structure on DB3.

In this case it shows items from DB1 in the same way, regardless of where they're being shown.

This did however solve another problem I had regarding the correct formatting for getRecipocalItems() :)

• 2 months later...

On 01/05/2017 at 1:12 PM, bfarber said:

{{else}}
{{endif}}

I might be wrong, as I am still trying to figure this out, but this really seems the wrong way to go about this.  What you are suggestion as a 'workaround' for this would soon become a spaghetti mess of long winded if's and else's.

This could have been implemented a lot easier and a lot more developer friendly. :)  Why not add another method to the class that would allow developers the ability to access information from the related class:

{{$related = $record->getRelatedbyKey('key');}}
{$related->customFieldDisplayByKey('related_key1')|raw}

{$related->field_10|raw}

<a href="{$related->url()}">{$related->customFieldDisplayByKey('key2')|raw}</a>

Or

{$record->getRelatedbyKey('key')->field_10|raw}

This seems a lot more logical and gives the freedom working with template code and html, without the secondary need to edit another template (which would most likely grow in a uncontrollable monster when adding many databases.

nb: the methods above are for example purposes (before I get told they do not exist).

Archived