DDOS Protection?

United We Stand

I have a question.

Our old community leader was charging our community for an App he said he got that was for IPB DDOS Protection.

I've never seen the app, I assumed he just didn't give me permission to see it in the ACP,

so I am wondering do you know if such an app or anything ever existed in the IPB marketplace before?

I've searched and couldn't find anything so I'm wondering now if the person had lied to us just to make money... 

stealingfunds3.jpg

Okay thanks for the info, guess he was charging us $20 a month for "IPB DDOS Protection", normally I would think it was a website ddos protection but he specifically mentioned IPB DDOS Protection which we were deducting out every month. We have since moved away from this guy but I've always had it in the back of my mind if this was ever true, thanks for clearing this.

On 4/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, United We Stand said:

Okay thanks for the info, guess he was charging us $20 a month for "IPB DDOS Protection", normally I would think it was a website ddos protection but he specifically mentioned IPB DDOS Protection which we were deducting out every month. We have since moved away from this guy but I've always had it in the back of my mind if this was ever true, thanks for clearing this.

Actually that could depend on the setup that IPS/IPB was being hosted/served under.  You CAN set up the HTTP service and the actual server itself to mitigate DDOS attacks against a specific domain/IP hosted on it.... so it depends on whether that line item is an actual app or a service that was provided in the afore mentioned aspect.

The answering HTTP server for the domain you show is nginx 1.12.0 but I'm not sure if it's being used as a proxy to Apache or as the main HTTP server.

If this site is being served from a VPS or a dedicated server then it is very possible that the DDOS protection was done at the server/service level.

Upon checking the IP, it looks like it has 274 other domains hosted on it... but again if that is a front end proxy then that is also possible or this is a shared hosting account in which case some DDOS mitigation can be done via cPanel but it's not worth $20 a month to have done as it's easily do-able for a neophyte.

Archived