Hreflang Tag Usage

ABGenc

I was checking Google Search Console and realised in International Targetting that hreflang tag was missing . It is saidby google that ;

Page-level markup  
Use the <link rel="alternate" hreflang="x" href="alternateURL"> tag in the <head> section of your pages to list alternate language versions for each page.  Each page should provide an hreflang tag that links to all other language variants of itself, as well as a tag that refers back to itself.  For more granular targeting, you can use the hreflang attribute to indicate language and country combinations (e.g. en-ie, en-ca, en-us). Read more about the hreflang tag in our Content guidelines section.

I have found a template named includeMeta and I believe it is where I should put this. I appreciate any idea on where and how should I insert the code.

4 minutes ago, opentype said:

So what is it you want to achieve? IPS 4.x doesn’t create page versions of the same content in different languages. So there isn’t anything to link to. 

Does this mean this tag is only used for those sites that have different languages for the same content only ? Nothing to do with the target language that your site is about ?

7 minutes ago, ABGenc said:

Does this mean this tag is only used for those sites that have different languages for the same content only ?

For the linking you mentioned: yes. 

Nothing to do with the target language that your site is about ?

You can assign that directly in the search console yourself*, if you want to. No changes to the website necessary. I would be careful to do this. The result can be that you get LESS visitors. 

* If its not a country-specific domain. Then it’s not necessary anyway.

1 minute ago, opentype said:

You can assign that directly in the search console yourself*, if you want to. No changes to the website necessary. 

(If its not a country-specific domain. Then it’s not necessary anyway.)

That is already done and means nothing to do about this tag at the moment.. Thanks :)

Archived