Announcements don't support links, is this a bug?

Lince

Hello,

I wanted to create an announcement with a link and when I do, I see that the announcement does not show the link.

I tried both create the link with text and placing only the url and none of them work.

Is this a bug ?

Thanks.

Thank you for the explanation and the screenshots.

I know you didn't create this feature but I don't understand this behavior.

Why would I hide the link in the preview and force my users to click in the announcement first in order to see the link ?

To me, this doesn't make any sense, and hiding the link will only cause most of my users not to even see the link.

It doesn’t hide links specifically. It strips HTML, because its a shortened preview. As I mentioned, there could be all sorts of things in there. A full-size video for example, which would essentially break the announcement widget. And you can’t just cut HTML off at a random point. It’s all or nothing. So that’s why HTML is removed. There are good reasons to do this. 

If you want to put links somewhere on your page, maybe announcements aren’t what you need. Have a look the WYSIWYG block of Pages or the PHP & Text block available on the marketplace. 

Hello opentype,

I can understand that it may not be the best idea to allow images or videos in the preview, but it doesn't make sense to remove links.

You can actually remove the html you want, so there is no reason to remove everything. I think that's just taking the easy way out.

I want to inform my users about some news and give them a link so what I need is precisely to publish an announcement. What I don't want is to edit my pages every time I want to make my users aware of some important news. That's why we have announcements, to inform the users, and allowing links in the preview should be a supported feature.

I just hope somebody from IPB reads this thread and they consider allowing links in announcement previews.

Regards.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:05 AM, Lince said:

Hello,

I wanted to create an announcement with a link and when I do, I see that the announcement does not show the link.

I tried both create the link with text and placing only the url and none of them work.

Is this a bug ?

Thanks.

I use this pluggin.

• 4 months later...

Archived