Not Feeling 4.2

CP

I am not really sure how others feel about the upcoming release of 4.2 and what it has to offer. For me, the updates are of no use to me. I will admit Clubs is a cool addiction for most sites. But for mine, it is something we just don't need and something else I would have to keep up with. No one would use it anyway and would be a complete waste of time. 

I have stated numerous times on the forums that the download system needs some updating and although there are some updates coming, the updates do not meet our needs. To be honest I expected a bit more with the download system in 4.2 and feel somewhat disappointed to say the least. 

I am not going to post what I feel needs to be updated with the downloads system at this point. I am over it and honestly tired of posting what I think the download system needs. 

I have been using a download system since 2002 and think I know well what could be added and such. 

I understand that IPS has to focus on what the majority wants and that makes good business sense. But for me, it is just not going to work out.

These are just my thoughts and please do not take offense to my post. 

I really want an improved downloads system as well. I feel downloads and commerce combined are the best part about ips and what sets this software a part from the competition. I would love to see these things updated. I have provided many posts suggesting badly needed updates but I've not seen any official replies or any notice having been taken. 

Edit: Lindy made a great response in at least one of my posts. 

I have used IPB (IPS) since 2002 and (before a download system was offered and had to resort to a 3rd party download system) although I think the download system is good, it needs updating. It has been pretty much the same for many many years and it seems no one really puts any thought in to it and make it basic with no creativity what so ever. 

That is the problem with coders, they can create the coding aspect of something but without working with a graphic designer (or designer) the outcome is stale and does not fit peoples needs. 

• Management

Hi CP,

Do you have a topic you've authored on the downloads improvements?

As you've spotted, we've focused heavily on what the majority of our customers have told us they want in terms of tools and ways to engage and retain members. It's impossible to do everything that all our customers want, but that doesn't mean we don't listen or plan things for future versions.

No Matt I don't. I never created a topic specifically for improvements. I mentioned in threads and such but never created my own. I will get something together and create a topic when I have the time. :) 

Maybe CP hasn't but I've made a few.

My mainapplications are forums and gallery (and Pages (nearly the most important one in these days :) ) i am really happy with the new features of 4.2. There are some great additions for gallery :wub: and also for the core (Reputationsystem, etc).

Sad to hear you guys are not happy with IP.Cownloads. I own and use it, but i am not a powerusers of it.

I think, IPS tried to make the core stable (and it's pretty stable now :) ), and now they start adding more stuff to it..That sounds like a good plan.

I would also love to see some more features for blogs - but not getting them right now, doesn't make me feel bad about 4.2 at all :)

I'm really looking forward to 4.2, but I can sympathise with those like @CP whose specific needs aren't met (yet?).  I have lots of things I'd love to see that likely will never happen.

But with regard to Downloads improvements, well, you never know....can't speak for staff of course, but who knows what will happen if you keep these issues in the forefront so that more people can see them and think about them?

Time and pressure create diamonds ;).

I think clubs is looking like one of the few worthwhile major enhancements. Some of this stuff should have been done already, and some should be minor version changes. I'm not really trying to hate or criticize because the product is clearly being developed and still moving forward so that's good stuff. They won't add every feature I want (its a shame) but I get it they need to appeal to the broadness of their customer base, not the minority use cases.

Also I'm starting to notice a lot of 3rd party system integration. Which is good, but whats going to happen if those services ever disappear/stop working?

30 minutes ago, Ohio Guns said:

Which is good, but whats going to happen if those services ever disappear/stop working?

You can disable all third party integrations we offer. Should they disappear, simply disable them (and it's likely we'd support an alternative instead).

Let me say frist, that I like what I've seen about 4.2 :thumbsup:

One of the things that makes it difficult for me is the need for all those small mods. Some of them have more to do with the forum and in my opinion should be included by default because upgrading from, for example,  4.1.19.2 to 4.1.19.3 adds a level of uncertitty.  Others just do not exist, but I'm sure they would be useful.

For example, not allowing reputation in certain forums. (common sense)
Disallowing reputation when a topic gets old 
A Default title, first post and default reply per forum. (arguable, but more useful or readable than the "topic rules", for example )
Being able to copy topics. 
Being able to keep a copy of the original post, when a user modifies it.  ( people insulting can modify their posts and moderators might not even read the insults which is ridiculous )
Online Status
Cookie policy
Ability for the admin to change the date and the user in a post.

But if there is one serious thing (in my opinion), IPS needs are "tools for starting communities". I know well established communities will not need them, but when you need to make your community grow from 0, those tools are very helpful. So far, nothing I have seen for newbies ( not even on the marketplace )
For example, tools to make your community look busier than what it is. Programed Replies from users. random reputation givers etc. etc.  Tools for the admin to program during the day or the week to engage the community. 

Being able to keep a copy of the original post, when a user modifies it.  ( people insulting can modify their posts and moderators might not even read the insults which is ridiculous )
Cookie policy
Ability for the admin to change the date and the user in a post.

these are a must-have

1 hour ago, gabs007 said:

You can already do this, enable it in AdminCP > System > Settings > Posting > Edit Log (or search for edit log)

1 hour ago, Charles said:

You can also already put up a Cookie Policy note using the Guest announcement feature :)

does this allow to show only to new visitors in a form of a popup? which goes away forever unless its a new device or ip address?

as an admin I would never delete any of my members content. especially if they contributed a lot to discussions and so on. I state in my forum rules that posts created stay as is and are auto disabled from editing after a month of writing. I would however move them to a banned group, ban IP  if they wanted so bad. :) fortunately never had a real issue of somebody in 11 years of running my forums who got obsessed in having his content removed.

Archived