Community

Kjell Iver Johansen

Chat closes - how many of you have found a solution?

Did you find a solution to replace the IPS chat after 1 may 2017?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, kmk said:

Here is any help of Rocket chat?

??

What are you looking for?

Been using Rocket.Chat for over a year and by far, a GREAT solution and everyone loves it.

The plugin that shows users in chat is also pretty good. 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, Maksim said:

??

What are you looking for?

Been using Rocket.Chat for over a year and by far, a GREAT solution and everyone loves it.

The plugin that shows users in chat is also pretty good. 

Hi

Is Rocket,Chat compatible for forums hosted by Invision Cloud?

On 1/22/2019 at 11:50 PM, BakuEdi said:

Hi

Is Rocket,Chat compatible for forums hosted by Invision Cloud?

This I have no clue.

I suppose what you can do is, if you have Pages on the cloud, you can create a page and integrate a cloud version of Rocket.Chat there.

Or... get your own server/hosting, even a cheap dedicated should work, and host the rocket.chat install there.... and plug it into ips.

I've used Babble (self-hosted) but soon will be EOL (end of life).

Discord is ever popular but does not integrate well with IPS whereas Babble integrated with IPS just about perfectly. I haven't tried Babble Chat Service (cloud-based) so I cannot speak for that.

I'm open to chat apps out there that also integrates with IPS seamlessly.

• Sends out notifications when content is posted
  • Integrates with member groups and permissions
  • Uses whatever forum theme is using
  • Also supports mobile use (responsive design)

Edited by GrooveOnBeat

9 hours ago, GrooveOnBeat said:

I haven't tried Babble Chat Service (cloud-based) so I cannot speak for that.

I have used that for a long time and it is very stable and support is good. Most importantly my users like it. 

3 hours ago, Claudia999 said:

We're still using BlaB! Chat. There's a new version.

That looks interesting. Never saw that before.

How does it integrate with IPS? Do members access the chat on the site or off-site or client or? 😄

3 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I have used that for a long time and it is very stable and support is good. Most importantly my users like it. 

Good to know. 🙂

Do your members access the chat from your site or is the chat off-site?

Edited by GrooveOnBeat

5 hours ago, GrooveOnBeat said:

Do your members access the chat from your site or is the chat off-site?

They do from the menu - called something else suitable on my language. There is 5-10 people chatting every night, and this is the main reason people like to meet and great, and also relationships has started there, so it is good. Mostly old IRC'ers.. 🙂

4 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

They do from the menu - called something else suitable on my language. There is 5-10 people chatting every night, and this is the main reason people like to meet and great, and also relationships has started there, so it is good. Mostly old IRC'ers.. 🙂

I like that users can access the chat from the site. 😄

Are you able to customize the look from the templates and CSS?

52 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Yes.. Just have a look at https://codingjungle.com/babble/ 

Possible to type /help - and some of the old IRC style commands.. Like /me or whatever you set up. 

Babble Chat Service looks exactly like the self-hosted version. I can see why people moved over to this version.

My next thought is whether I have to keep my forums up-to-date for Babble Chat Service to work. I don't upgrade my forum every time there is a new release. So my concern is if I choose to stay at a lower IPS version will Babble Chat Service still work? I believe I asked that question on the support thread but didn't get an answer.

1 hour ago, GrooveOnBeat said:

Babble Chat Service looks exactly like the self-hosted version. I can see why people moved over to this version.

My next thought is whether I have to keep my forums up-to-date for Babble Chat Service to work. I don't upgrade my forum every time there is a new release. So my concern is if I choose to stay at a lower IPS version will Babble Chat Service still work? I believe I asked that question on the support thread but didn't get an answer.

sorry, thought i had answered it.

Typically if you upgrade say to 4.3, then in theory the version of babble that is released for it, will work with for 4.3+ and might work with the next version depending on any radical changes. I do my best not to really do anything that forces an update, so i try to keep a wide range of babble versions working with the service, i think it has been over a year now since i've had to force updates cause of a change on the service.   

45 minutes ago, CodingJungle said:

sorry, thought i had answered it.

Typically if you upgrade say to 4.3, then in theory the version of babble that is released for it, will work with for 4.3+ and might work with the next version depending on any radical changes. I do my best not to really do anything that forces an update, so i try to keep a wide range of babble versions working with the service, i think it has been over a year now since i've had to force updates cause of a change on the service.   

I guess all this time I was concerned for little to nothing. 😄

I appreciate your reply, thank you!