Community

Kjell Iver Johansen

Chat closes - how many of you have found a solution?

Did you find a solution to replace the IPS chat after 1 may 2017?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As of now - there is 4 weeks until IPS closes the chat for good. 

I have an active chat and all our gathereings and meetings are through the chat-system. I will loose a lot of activity from a core source of members if they leave for facebook if I have not found a solution. I have bought 2 licences of babble, but I did not manage to get the selfhosted version to work. I've tried most of the other solutions now but my users like IPS chat and the simplicity of it.

With this topic I just like to Poll how many of you that still has not found a solution to the Chat-problem..

Edited by Kjell Iver Johansen

Voted for BlaB, but i use BlaB and ArrowChat (depends on the needs of the communities).

Some do not have a chat or use LiveZilla, so users could directly with admins and mods for support

3 hours ago, TheSonic said:

@David.. I found no option to integrate rocket.Chat with ips4 or did i miss something? Most of us want integrate it with IPS4 (eg. Users and usergroups, etc)

It's possible with Oauth plugin from Marketplace. A friend of mine already did it and it looks stunning.

3 hours ago, TheSonic said:

@David.. I found no option to integrate rocket.Chat with ips4 or did i miss something? Most of us want integrate it with IPS4 (eg. Users and usergroups, etc)

I have it integrated in my site. Pretty easy with this free plugin :

Edited by RevengeFNF

Why can't IPS offer this as a separate package and we host it ourself with unlimited users? Why was it sold as a limited chat app and then priced to add more users? This way IPS can keep the app and change it to suit self hosted needs and keep the money from it's use. (I'm sure there must be a lot of work involved to change it, but surely that keeps everyone happy and they still make money).

Fortunately (for me) I've never had much use for chat, although projecting into the future I was looking for a simple chat solution in case tutor clients need or want remote live discussion.

I went with BlaB! 8 because it's free and has quite a few customisable options.  It was a bit clunky for me to get working, and the interface takes some getting used to (it's slightly counterintuitive and on-screen documentation would help), but once it's up and running it works fine.

However, I really think it's a smaller solution; I have no idea how well (if at all) if would work for large chat communities.

Edited by liquidfractal

Versions Plus and Pro of Blab! have come back and I think a bit revamped too. Now I'm leaning towards Blab! Pro (I'm still using IPS 3.4), and debating between that and Arrowchat. I like the "invisible" feature of Blab!. Does anyone know if Arrawchat has that (somehow I think it doesn't).

I was voted "No" in this poll. Like you, I and my members are perferred the simplicity of alternative chat solution, the tightly integration with the IPS system (no messy Popup and any layout changes on the webpage) and also the dependency from external services. (So Discord, ArrowChat or BlaB are all not met my requirements) I also lose a lot of core member who used the current IPS Chat regularly for their off-topic conversation.

I saw that you already bought Babble from @CodingJungle and you are a self-hosting community. If you can fully manage your server (Dedicated or VPS), why not give Babble a try? Considering that the license price is not cheap. (Mine was US$140 - Software and Copyright Removal) I just purchased it yesterday (from CodingJungle website) and followed the setup instruction on his website. Even I have not much knowledge about server administration (My server contains CentOS + Directadmin + NGINX + SSL + CSF Firewall + blahblahblah), I managed to get things works pretty fine and perfectly replaced the current IPS Chat in just less than 1 hour (it shoud not take much fewer time if you are not clumsy like me, haha). And you know that, in addition to it simplicity, this chat solution has much more capability under the hood. And of course, CJ is working on the next version, which would bring addition functions too.

Babble.thumb.png.4054a9e38f8709d75850bd541de9bc54.png

As of now, I think that Babble is the best replacement of the current IPS Chat. You will not need to connect to the external services. You will not need to add new application namespace and modify your website code and layout. It is perfectly integrated to the IPS community. Plus, it was developed by a well-known IPS Marketplace Developer and will receive a major update soon. Despite the pricey license price compare with the other more powerful chat services you mentioned in the poll options, it is actually a one-time cost (you can choose to renew the license yearly to receive future version updates and supports but for the simplicity sake, it is optional) and if IPS Community 5 is not going to release anytime sonn, you can stay with this chat solution for a very long time. For me, I will let my member use a Voice, Video call and whatever they on their own Facebook or their preference services. But on my community, it must be simple, fast and reliable. Babble is my recommendation choice and I will start launching it to my members after the IPS Chat closure.

P.S. If you are not comfortable to setup Node.js, configuring and maintaining it on your server, I heard that CodingJungle is currently working on a SaaS options for Babble, which should be working just like the current IPS chat. (CJ will host Babble servers and provide you a client application to install as the IPS application on your own community) Stay tune with him for more update.

20 minutes ago, Foolboy said:

dependency from external services. (So Discord, ArrowChat

I run ArrowChat on my selfhosted server, it doesn't need any external services.

6 minutes ago, NoGi said:

I run ArrowChat on my selfhosted server, it doesn't need any external services.

My apologies for unclear explanation. I was considered ArrowChat option and I understand that it is a standalone system which you need to install on your server once purchased the license. But as it requires to change the footer of the website to add the ArrowChat bar, so it does not met my requirement in "layout changes on the webpage".

Anyway, I know that ArrowChat is a very professional chat system and a lot of positive feedback was given by its client, including many one in here as well. And I would use it if it not charged me $295 for SSL support and a native chat page without footer change. This is just my humble opinion after all. 

Note that I in no way am suggesting people go out and get ArrowChat. Whilst it works well on my site, I have been underwhelmed with the level of support and activity on their community forum and as such am looking at alternatives.

Great to hear you are happy with Babble.

That said, i think for most people it's much easier to add a line of code to a template (ArrowChat) or just add a link in the MenuManager (BlaB!) rather then installing node.js (i don't care, i have it installed).

I think, it's not a questions like "what's the best", it's about what you and your users want. All are good solutions.

Most installations i know do not allow guests to chat, so you will not see much of it... Even if guests are allowed to chat, i would never give them all options a registered member has (Apps, VideoCHat, whatever).

Best option for you is to try their demo or just install their trial on your installation and see how things are going.

@TheSonic do you know if Blab! has any way of indicating how many people are in chat before actually accessing it? If not, do your users miss such an indication? As it is until now with IP.Chat on my site, they do see a number on the Chat link itself, and who's in chat at the bottom of the forum index.

@PPlanet, no, i don't know how to add the number of chatters in IPS4 (in the MenuManager, eg) like IP.Chat does it. (That said, i am not a Dev - perhaps someone find a way :) )

My members don't miss it, because chat is normally used on events - so people will join if the event happens. This may differ if you/your users use your chat to "just hang around" :)