Improvements to the mobile version

Nesa

I apologize if this is the already mentioned... :)I want to explain an idea... to explain briefly... :p

We are all witnesses that the greatest part of the visit today comes across phone/tablet...ie. via the mobile version.
Today, all visitors regardless of whether the Forum visited via desktop or mobile device, opens the same index page. For example...my Forum:

Desktop:

ipb001.thumb.jpg.7221cb744794b56b4c1425a133103c66.jpgipb002.thumb.jpg.97b38b98a120cc43a006c8c886eaa3c0.jpg

Mobile:

Screenshot_20170331-034442.thumb.png.408db7a71fad6a93e6c6b588939f6b70.pngScreenshot_20170331-034505.thumb.png.90c4b62323faad828525ab9ee7380849.png

Visitors does not immediately receive the content. They get only a list, the structure of the Forum. This is particularly important for Guests of the Forum.
They generally are not familiar with the structure of the Forum, they do not know where to click to get the content. 

The idea is as follows:
- to all visitors through the mobile version of the Forum (especially Guests), instead of the index page should immediately opens All Activity stream. All Activity stream page as new default index page via mobile version visit only.
But the new and improved All Activity stream...All Activity stream that exceeds the expanded version of the existing one...with even more detail including in a content preview. And not only preview, but also the ability to immediately engage in a discussion if they want. Something like they get on various Facebook groups.
But again I say, only for visits from mobile platforms, and always with an option (somewhere in the right corner), to switch to ''classic view''.
In this way they immediately get content, content is more visible showing them in the way they are already get used to on FB, all they have to do is to scroll down for more content. They read the latest content, scrolling down and write in the Topics that interested them.

In fact, I have two ideas, the second one is related to viewing pictures over a mobile version of the Forum.
On the desktop version:

ipb003.thumb.jpg.3971b6b5afa5452ab7fa628164e65926.jpgipb004.thumb.jpg.47d88b07c1888630ba36733678269893.jpg

You are reading a post that contains the pictures, you click on the first picture and then just click on right (or left) arrow to move to the next (or previous) picture.

But, on the mobile version we can not slide page to the left (or right) in order to see the next (or previous) picture. We must return to a post preview, then click to the next picture, after you look at that second picture then click again back to the post, then again another click to the next picture in a post, and so again and again and again... and, If a post contains, for example 10 pictures, you have to click a few dozen times so you can see all photos.
Totally impractical, hard, inefficient, not user friendly...so difficult that people usually give up from viewing pictures. Viewing pictures on a mobile version should be the same as the desktop version, ie. touch on the first picture in the post, the picture is opened, and then if we want just slide with finger to the right or left in order to see the next (or previous) picture. If the user don't want to see all the pictures in that post, it has X button up right, or touch on the Back.

I would like to hear other opinions that could further improve the idea of upgraded  ''All Activity stream'' page as new default index page (via mobile version visit only). :)

Sending completely different pages depending on what device you use, sounds highly confusing.

It’s technically not possible anyway. There is no mobile version anymore. Just a different layout of the same page depending on the screen size. 

Franky, if you want the Activity Feed as default (which probably makes sense for many sites), just make it the site home page – for everyone. 

4 hours ago, opentype said:

There is no mobile version anymore. Just a different layout of the same page depending on the screen size.

Of course I know that. :)
The most important part of the idea is not about whether mobile version still exists or not, rather than what will be displayed to Forum visitors as default view when they comes from mobile platforms. I think it can be done as Tapatalk, but even better, more complete.

Screenshot_20170331-121048.thumb.png.f9f799bd603e7a7eb0ba7b7ea7a3a0a3.pngScreenshot_20170331-121058.thumb.png.c9026a6cd3854a9371b048d18b7121ed.png

As we all know, this is Tapatalk default view. Some pictures, little text and so...
IPS
can do better by adding some functionality from Facebook, and get a new activity stream.
Now you always get the same page when you visit from mobile phone or tablet, regardless of whether it is a forum with 10 or 100, or 1.000 posts (comments) in the last few hours.
Ok, it is good that this page depending on the screen size, but it is time to go further in its development. People who visit via mobile phone or tablets, immediately want to see the active content, not that they have to know where to touch to get that. They're used to get active content like that because of FB, TapaTalk...

5 hours ago, opentype said:

Franky, if you want the Activity Feed as default (which probably makes sense for many sites), just make it the site home page – for everyone. 

I can not because the existing ''Activity Feed'' is not good enough for that. Plus, I do not want that people who visit the forum via desktop get the same view as default, but only those via a mobile platform. The most that we now have is the expanded view of it. Not good enough.
According to this idea, there is a need for a new ''Activity stream'' that exceeds the expanded version of the existing one...with even more detail including a content preview. And not only content preview, but also the ability to immediately engage in a discussion if visitor want. Something like they get on various Facebook groups, or TapaTalk.

Archived