IP Commerce Import from CSV

Phillyman

Right now the current way of adding products to IP Commerce is very slow. It would be great if you guys supported sucking in items via a CSV file. I could easily create a spreadsheet with thousands of items

• Picture Name = Product1.jpg
  • Product Category = 6
  • Product Description = This is a book
  • Product Quality = Excellent
  • Product Price = $4.95
  • Product Shipping = $3.00
  • Countries Shipped to = USA, UK

Then you just upload all the product images to your server, and run an import of the CSV file and it would create thousands of listings. It would sort of work like the eBay turbo lister, but without all those pesky listing fees :p

• 2 years later...

This would be a great way to keep products updated as well, for instance when suppliers change their MAP pricing.  Just update spreadsheet, import, and any existing listings could be updated.  

Granted this is possible via API in some cases, but some suppliers still send pricing updates via spreadsheet.

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this. There would probably just be a handful of users actually making good use of it and setting it up would be quite complicated. The product data isn’t just a simple flat database. There are tons of cross-connections to other tables. Language strings, images, shipping, taxes, renewals, and all the pricing matrices for potentially many custom fields …. I'm not sure it would even be technically possible to put that in a single CSV. 

Surprised this thread reanimated. Yeah I gave up on this back in 2017, I am doing the same thing I am doing for IP Content Databases. I create .CSV files, and then use AutoHotKey to form fill this information into IPB. Here is some sample code you guys can modify however you see fit. The code example is for IPContent, but you can change it around to click and fill in form data from CSV files for IP Commerce.

EDIT: This one is Tab Delimited, because some of my fields had commas in them.

Loop, read, C:\Temp\MyData.txt

{

StringSplit, LineArray, A_LoopReadLine, %A_Tab%
  name := LineArray1
  month := LineArray2
  year := LineArray3

Run http://www.mysite.com/magazines?do=add&category=286

Sleep 7000

Click 390, 633

SEND %name%
SEND {TAB}
SEND %month%
SEND {TAB}
SEND %year%
SEND {ENTER}
Sleep 7000
SEND !{F4}
Sleep 7000
}

You can add variables under the year line to accommodate more fields. just add more LineArrays like LineArray4....etc.

The SEND !{F4} sends a close program to Firefox, Chrome, Edge, you can easily modify to just do a backspace or a new click to continue the script. Really powerful for getting info into IPB! Saved me countless hours creating thousands of records.

11 hours ago, opentype said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this. There would probably just be a handful of users actually making good use of it and setting it up would be quite complicated. The product data isn’t just a simple flat database. There are tons of cross-connections to other tables. Language strings, images, shipping, taxes, renewals, and all the pricing matrices for potentially many custom fields …. I'm not sure it would even be technically possible to put that in a single CSV. 

Ecommerce platforms make it possible real easy. If the IPS developers can make applications like they have already, then I'm sure CSV integration is a "simple" code. And I think more than a handful would be using this. Just because it hasn't been asked for much is not a reason to assume not many would use it.

1 minute ago, aerodynamik. said:

then I'm sure CSV integration is a "simple" code.

I’ve already given a reason why it’s not simple. Feel free to address this reason. 

1 minute ago, aerodynamik. said:

Just because it hasn't been asked for much is not a reason to assume not many would use it.

That’s called a strawman argument. My claim about it probably not being used much was NOT based on how many people asked about it. 

Archived