Cart for Downloads

Gravi5tar

Are you referring to paid files or free files? 

- if free, not sure this makes any sense.  You can just download as you browse, unless you want to create a master zip of all files? But this will bypass the log quota

- if paid, this makes sense.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback.  Using Nexus means building the whole site category tree twice, descriptions twice, twice the listings etc, it doesn't make sense.  The site is a 'downloads' site like IPS marketplace but a cart is needed, every system I've found offers a cart for downloads except IPS.  Really, a cart already exists for Nexus, what on earth is the problem with extending it to paid downloads? All focus seems to be on trying to make 'forums' stay relevant with social leaderboards and voting, fine but surely making 'downloads' relevant as an ecommerce solution is long overdue and would open up a wider market.  It's so close....but the missing cart kills it.

3 hours ago, Gravi5tar said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Using Nexus means building the whole site category tree twice, descriptions twice, twice the listings etc, it doesn't make sense.  The site is a 'downloads' site like IPS marketplace but a cart is needed, every system I've found offers a cart for downloads except IPS.  Really, a cart already exists for Nexus, what on earth is the problem with extending it to paid downloads? All focus seems to be on trying to make 'forums' stay relevant with social leaderboards and voting, fine but surely making 'downloads' relevant as an ecommerce solution is long overdue and would open up a wider market.  It's so close....but the missing cart kills it.

Would not making a cart seem like it doing what Nexus does anyway? It seem like the file download is more of a one time thing, are allowing it to be part of the Nexus if it can hook in to it if there something are an item to say list this in Nexus as well.

If your site only sells downloads made by admin, your logic is fine.  But downloads allows multiple members to upload to the site.  This is how my site is setup, as a multi-vendor marketplace.  Any member can upload a download file for sale, that's the point of paid downloads and commissions etc.  Members can't create nexus products too and associate them etc, it's too confusing and silly to have 2x category structures or a nexus shop and the downloads  This simple requires the cart to be extended to the downloads app. 

Maybe if each vendor can sell with in the Nexus area and have it sorted via that it may could work. I think your using downloads differently than what is should work. I think the setup you wan it more toward the Nexus area. I do know it not just a simple add a cart to Downloads and it works. Have you thought about moving your stuff towards Nexus and set it up to work the way you have Downloads work, just a thought? Check out the market here, that what I mean.

Thanks, but staying in context Downloads uses Nexus but not Nexus store unless you associate every download with an admin created nexus product, the only way to use a cart I think, unless I've missed something.  It should be natural for paid Downloads to also have a cart if it's already using Nexus for payments etc.

The IPS marketplace here doesn't appear to use a cart, correct?

If you want to purchase 5 or 10 downloads files from this site or mine the customer has to  checkout 5 or 10 times, it's not good.  I would suggest a plugin or better still, IPS extend the cart to downloads. 

11 hours ago, Gravi5tar said:

Thanks, but staying in context Downloads uses Nexus but not Nexus store unless you associate every download with an admin created nexus product, the only way to use a cart I think, unless I've missed something.  It should be natural for paid Downloads to also have a cart if it's already using Nexus for payments etc.

The IPS marketplace here doesn't appear to use a cart, correct?

If you want to purchase 5 or 10 downloads files from this site or mine the customer has to  checkout 5 or 10 times, it's not good.  I would suggest a plugin or better still, IPS extend the cart to downloads. 

Correct-o but you could turn on the cart function if you want to. I isay go ahead and try playing with Nexus to see. 

End of Line.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, superj707 said:

Wonder why.

Because Downloads isn't a store. It works totally different and a huge revamp would be necessary to make something like that, which I believe happens only in big updates like 3 - 4, 4 - 5. On the other hand, it's even more difficult (read almos impossible) to do it with a 3rd-party resource.

I wouldn't wait much for this.

Downloadeds isn’t a Store? All the items I have in downloads are for sale and sold there. Same with how marketplace works here. I’m confused. If we can sell 1 why not load a cart and allow more than 1?

A cart table can be set up with fields like member_id and download_id plus other needed values. Then when going to basket display tottal and script can do what downloads “buy” button does now but loop through more than one file at a time till complete

4 minutes ago, superj707 said:

Downloadeds isn’t a Store?

No, it’s a directory of files. I only tried to explain that there’s a huge difference in how a (real) store and a directory of files works. Downloads: click to buy - pay - download. Store: you know how it is. They will have to do some big changes in Downloads, probably list files in Store or create its own cart. That’s why I don’t think it will come in minir releases. 4.3 probably would be a good time but I don’t think big changes will be addressed in those versions; usually they add new features.

Of course I can be wrong.

Archived