Push Notifications

Adam_S

Hi,

I was wondering whether it would be possible to include some form of push notifications via REST API in a future developmental release of IPS that could be used to develop a custom mobile apps for a community?

Thanks

Adam

I don't know about an existing solution nor any announcements yet.

This feature has already been requested hundreds of times by really a lot of members.

You can search for "app creation" and "push notifications" to read the whole discussions.

Whoever will create a push notifications solution, will become famous :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've added this to my site (supports Android plus every major desktop browser)   It's been a huge engagement tool for us.  

The only reason I don't offer it in the market is I'd have to charge as much as an IPS license to justify the cost of maintaining and supporting it.

Edited by h2ojunkie

15 hours ago, h2ojunkie said:

I've added this to my site (supports Android plus every major desktop browser)   It's been a huge engagement tool for us.  

The only reason I don't offer it in the market is I'd have to charge as much as an IPS license to justify the cost of maintaining and supporting it.

There are some larger forums (businesses in their own right) that probably wouldn't have an issue paying $$$ for a feature that important these days.

No iOS support though based on what you mention?

Even better, why not sell it to IPS?

2 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

There are some larger forums (businesses in their own right) that probably wouldn't have an issue paying $$$ for a feature that important these days.

No iOS support though based on what you mention?

Even better, why not sell it to IPS?

There's no iOS support because apple refuses to add support to iOS for native notifications.  The only way to do it is with an iOS app.  We have one for our own use, but it wouldn't be practical for most sites to maintain an iOS app (or pay a 3rd party for one) to get notifications working on iOS. You'd be talking something like $2500-5000 just for the apps, plus another $500 a year or so to keep them updated for new versions of iOS/Android.  Hopefully some day apple will come around and get with every other device on the planet. Hell, even MacOS can support the notifications without an app, so it's not like apple doesn't know there's a need for this. I think they are just holding out because they make so much revenue from the app store that they want to force everyone to publish an app. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be interested to see if IPB developers could integrate with a push notification service.  There's no real sense in building it internally if there are services that can do it for you.  For instance, https://www.izooto.com/ seems like one that would work great.  At this point, the challenge will be to convince IPB to do it, iZooto to build an app, or pay someone to build it.

Edited by Mike Gholson

• 1 year later...

Just to mention, but @Jon Erickson has created an app to link IPS and Firebase together.

I don't know what his plans are with regards to releasing it, however, it works flawlessly and Jon is a very good coder.

Only reason I am mentioning this is due to knowing a few others who wanted exactly this solution, I'm looking forward to seeing the app released, as others should be able to take their IPS site more seriously with handheld devices.

And, no disrespect to IPS - I feel their app is quite far from perfect for a site heavily built around IPS and third-party applications.

Look out for the release folks. 👍