It's been 2 days and still...

wmarcy

• Management

Sorry for the delay. Approvals can take 24-48 hours. In this case, you were using an anonymous proxy ("VPN.") That will significantly add to the delay and increase scrutiny of the transaction. You may avoid this and increase the likelihood that your transaction will be automatically instantly approved by connecting directly with your ISP.

It seems your order has been approved. Thanks for your patience.

I turned off my VPN, went through slicker than snot.  

My question (Which I don't expect you to know), if one is running a vpn, how does a third party know, I thought that was the whole point of a vpn?   Say I am traveling through CHina and want to access information deemed verboten, if the chinese authorities know I am using a vpn, doesn't that negate the benefits?  

On 2/11/2017 at 6:44 AM, wmarcy said:

Say I am traveling through CHina and want to access information deemed verboten, if the chinese authorities know I am using a vpn, doesn't that negate the benefits?  

The part you want to protect here is traffic for [china] → [vpn server]. The part you have to trust, and can be exposed is [vpn server] → [final destination site].

It also doesn't need to be 'detecting a VPN' specifically, but most payment providers flag extreme things like 'this ISP does not exist in this billing address country' or 'this city is 6400 km away from this IP's general area'

• Management

The way most use a "VPN" is more as a proxy server. It's protecting you in terms of anonymity, but it also essentially shows you're trying to be anonymous and you're not connecting via a "proper" ISP... in the world of e-commerce, that's a huge red flag, even if the billing location and physical location match as it's very common for a fraudster to use a proxy in a nearby location 

In short: it keeps you anonymous, but also tells us, via MaxMind, that you want to be anonymous. Hope that helps.

Archived