Needed: Save Draft Button in Editor

CheersnGears

If I'm working on a long article or post that has multiple links and I accidentally click one of those links while I'm trying to edit it, the editor often has not yet saved any draft input yet and my whole article gets wiped out.

I just lost about 45 minutes of work this way and this has happened to me multiple times.

Happens to me frequently -- try using the back button in your browser.  The latest version(s) of IPS store what was in the editor temporarily, if you can navigate back to it using the browser, rather than links/buttons in IPS...

On 1/17/2017 at 10:00 PM, KentT said:

Happens to me frequently -- try using the back button in your browser.  The latest version(s) of IPS store what was in the editor temporarily, if you can navigate back to it using the browser, rather than links/buttons in IPS...

If I do use the back button, I frequently get content restored to my editor window that is very old or even from some other post.   The one that this happened to me on, I lost 2 pages of work. I hit back and got some old post that had already been posted restored to my editor window.

Members of my community often use other text editors to write up long posts. One of my aims for this year is improving the editor, including giving feedback to IPS about how woefully inconsistent the auto-save feature is. It's genuinely not good enough to replace an active draft mechanism.

• 3 months later...

Built-in draft save/recall would be welcome!

The automated one is convenient for inadvertently leaving the page and coming back, but since it can only store one post per thread, it doesn't accommodate complex conversations or detailed posts built over time. Being able to slap a button and dump the draft into a retrievable list would be an excellent UI enhancement.

This kind of improvement certainly fits the profile of Pages, for sure, since it's such a powerful app and is focused on the overall production style that is mentioned in the OP -- articles. Even if it was developed in their alone at first, before later rolling out to the rest of the suite, that'd be a good step in the right direction.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Management
6 hours ago, Steve Jabba said:

+ 1000000

This should be a standard feature. I am amazed it is not.

Where is the response to this thread? 

You are responding to a 2+ year old topic 🙂

We have had auto-save in the editor for a long time now. If I type this and accidentally hit back on browser, when I return to the editor it will have kept my content and shown me a message telling me.