forum index seo seems flawed ?

sound

see here

https://invisionpower.com/forums/forum/493-general-chit-chat/

the h2 element  is  ' 22,304 topics in this forum'

all the h4's  fail html validation and have errors reported

would guess the two above can't help the forums seo

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?showsource=yes&doc=https%3A%2F%2Finvisionpower.com%2Fforums%2Fforum%2F493-general-chit-chat%2F#l1042c46

14 hours ago, Tracy Perry said:

W3 validation is pretty much useless now for dynamically generated content from some of my reading.  I rank it right along those site speed test sites that tell you what you need to fix... 

http://zurb.com/article/1260/we-ve-moved-beyond-code-validators

the original post was about h2 and h4 tags and seo for a forum index

the h2 seo 'error' is fairly obvious to see, while the  h4 not so much and is why I posted the validation link to assist with the h4 'error'

the forum indexes seo could/should be a major part of the seo of any forum site and so the h2 at least should be fixed asp...  imo

16 minutes ago, sound said:

the h2 seo 'error' is fairly obvious to see

Well, no. What is it?

The H1 is the forum title and the H2 is the title of what is listed in the table, in case of the forum repeating useful keywords like “topics” and “forum”. 

So, what’s the error?

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

Well, no. What is it?

The H1 is the forum title and the H2 is the title of what is listed in the table, in case of the forum repeating useful keywords like “topics” and “forum”. 

So, what’s the error?

really ?

the error (imo) is having identical h2s stating 'x topics in this forum'  in every forum

if using the h2 then it should be forum specific or if not then left out... imo

6 minutes ago, sound said:

really ?

Yes, really. You didn’t give any explanation in your first post. You just stated what is there. 

6 minutes ago, sound said:

the error (imo) is having identical h2s stating 'x topics in this forum'  in every forum

if using the h2 then it should be forum specific or if not then left out...

They are section titles and list whatever is in that section. And there can be several sections on a page. And this system is used throughout the entire suite. I think you are confusing the usefulness (or necessity) of unique page titles (H1). They should of course be unique to identify a single URL. But on each page you can of course have similar or identical section titles. That’s expected, perfectly normal and neither calls for a fix, nor for a removal of the H2. Take a YouTube profile as example. It has sections like “Recent Uploads”, “Popular Uploads”, “What to watch next”. Those are the H2 section titles, identical on millions of YouTube profiles. Are you saying Google is doing that wrong on their own sites?

50 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yes, really. You didn’t give any explanation in your first post. You just stated what is there. 

They are section titles and list whatever is in that section. And there can be several sections on a page. And this system is used throughout the entire suite. I think you are confusing the usefulness (or necessity) of unique page titles (H1). They should of course be unique to identify a single URL. But on each page you can of course have similar or identical section titles. That’s expected, perfectly normal and neither calls for a fix, nor for a removal of the H2. Take a YouTube profile as example. It has sections like “Recent Uploads”, “Popular Uploads”, “What to watch next”. Those are the H2 section titles, identical on millions of YouTube profiles. Are you saying Google is doing that wrong on their own sites?

This is a feedback topic in the feedback forum

The aim of my original post was to pass on feedback to invision regarding what seemed to me were seo flaws

While I would prefer to hear from the invision staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments/views.

Maybe it will be better to continue this discussion after a member of the invision team has replied to my original post

thanks...

Archived