PHP Memory Check

While beginning the IPS4 installation, I get one error: 

Your PHP memory limit is set to 32 MB but should be set to 128M or more. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for this to be changed.

So I checked my php.ini file and it is set to 128M and then I ran phpinfo.php and scrolled down and found 128M. Why is this and how can I correct it?

In phpinfo.php is memory_limit listed at 128M on both parts ?

There tends to be two values here, the left is typically the local and the right the master. If the master value is say 32 and the local is 128 it is likely you'll only ever get to use 32 of the 128 :)

If its just been changed then php *may* need restarting for the change to take effect. Note I'm not a server guy though.

4 minutes ago, AndyF said:

There tends to be two values here, the left is typically the local and the right the master. If the master value is say 32 and the local is 128 it is likely you'll only ever get to use 32 of the 128 :)

If its just been changed then php *may* need restarting for the change to take effect. Note I'm not a server guy though.

The master value is just a reference - the local value is always used, so if local is set to 128M, and master is set to 32M, then PHP will get the full 128M.

And yes, it's possible your web server may need restarting before the change takes effect.

19 minutes ago, Ford Doctor said:

Ahhh. But, this value was set a long time ago and I have not changed it recently. I will run this by my hosting support but I still question the discrepancy between the IPS script and the phpinfo. By all accounts I SHOULD have 128M available right?

It depends on the server environment, really - different servers have different ways of configuring PHP, so your host would be more knowledgeable about your specific environment.

• 4 weeks later...

So I opened a support ticket with my host which looked into it and they said everything is as at should be and the problem is not the server.

I still get ''Your PHP memory limit is set to 32 MB but should be set to 128M or more. You should contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for this to be changed."

The only other thing that shows up is the following warning which as I read it will not prevent me from installing the update but I want to mention this just in case it could have some affect:

"You do not have the cURL PHP extension loaded or it is running a version less than 7.36. While this is not required, it is recommended."

ADDITIONAL FINDINGS!

When I run the ips4.php file from the IPS sales page which checks your server for to see if it meets the requirements it correctly shows that I am set at 128M

This leads me to think that there is a problem with the file included with the IPS Community Suite  4.1.17.1 which I downloaded from the Client Area. 

You may need to post more info about your server like if you use any control panel and about php also as you may have some other include php files that may overide your settings :-)

Just run from ssh this command to find the loaded php ini file:

php --ini

php.ini is configurable through my CPanel and it is set to 128M - I also went into all php.ini files on my server located in the root and any located in sub directories and all are set to 128M. FYI I am attempting a clean test installation of IPB in it's own test directory that has it's own php.ini file that I tried removing to see if that had any effect. It did not.  I tested the separate "check requirements" files from there and got the mixed results I reported. 

This is odd and becoming annoying. I think I really need to open a support ticket with IPS.

On 12/23/2016 at 3:12 PM, AndyF said:

Okay, here is something I found. I have phpinfo.php in my root directory and if when I load it it shows 128M for both Local AND Master. I copied phpinfo.php into the subdirectory I am trying to install IPB4 and it shows only 32M for Local and Master. The test directory does have a php.ini file and memory is set to 128M... and as I mentioned I tried removing the file and got the same result.

I re-wrote the php.ini file in the test directory from scratch in my code editor and then reran phpinfo.php and now it shows 128M from the test directory, Local and Master. Then I reran the IPB4 install and it still reports 32M. ;(

Could this only be a cache thing at this point?

I would tend to agree with you but I had to ask because I am not sure. But now the question at hand has changed - why is php info reporting the proper amount of memory and one of YOUR scripts shows the correct  memory and another of YOUR scripts does not? Unfortunately its the one I need to work! :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally went to support on this and everything was as it should be but for some odd reason the script kept showing 32M. We forced the issue with adding 

ini_set( 'memory_limit', '128M' );

to the conf_global file. Works fine now... I'll see what happens when I update my live site. The support here is awesome as usual!

Archived