Newsletters

On 1/6/2017 at 4:25 AM, sound said:

having problems with notifications

have sent a pm

I saw, I have not yet had time to look into it. I will, though. 

4 hours ago, ToeJam said:

I think I may purchase.  But, is there anyway to slip in a banner ad?

Thanks

Yes. In addition to the standard content types, like "latest topics", you also have "manual content", which is basically an editor where you can enter anything you like. A banner ad should work. 

You can also configure the header and footer areas of the newsletter, and a banner ad could be placed there as well. 

On 05/01/2017 at 0:25 PM, HeadStand said:

You can customize the template for gallery to allow that. I intentionally do not provide specific templates for different content types because the code is written to handle any item you throw at it. If I start customizing, there will be no end. :)

I don't have any integration with 3rd party plugins. Emails that have the "send me email" flag disabled are skipped.

Unsubscribe is not included in the test because it's dependent on the newsletter issue. Issues are not generated until a publish.

No. First newsletter will go out on the 14th, like it says... that might be a bug. I'll look into it. 

Something not right as it's not taking the first scheduled date. 

I had to put that back 2 weeks so it send tomorrow at 10am however in the scheduled tasks it says it won't send until 16:05.

IMG_3202.PNG

26 minutes ago, VR6Pete said:

Something not right as it's not taking the first scheduled date. 

I had to put that back 2 weeks so it send tomorrow at 10am however in the scheduled tasks it says it won't send until 16:05.

IMG_3202.PNG

Oh... ok. I'll have to change the task to run hourly instead of daily, that's the closest I can get. We actually do not have control over the time that a scheduled task will run, only how often it does. IPS decides the time. So if I make it run hourly, it will send out closer to your scheduled time. 

Couple more questions.

I'm assuming this can be done but thought I would ask anyway.   Some content I need to keep away from others so I assume we have the ability to omit certain forums from being included in the newsletter?

This maybe a dumb question, but can I schedule two different newsletters going to two different groups per week?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, ToeJam said:

Couple more questions.

I'm assuming this can be done but thought I would ask anyway.   Some content I need to keep away from others so I assume we have the ability to omit certain forums from being included in the newsletter?

This maybe a dumb question, but can I schedule two different newsletters going to two different groups per week?

Thanks!

Yes and yes.

12 hours ago, HeadStand said:

No.

That's quite a big over-sight -is this something that can be adapted as I wouldn't want to divulge topic names created in my moderators area divulged in my newsletter.

I have also noticed thread title duplications in the email - and it appears that to be due to moving the thread and leaving a link present for 30 days, seems to have picked up the link to where the forum thread was moved too.

Just now, Adriano Faria said:

I never used the app but I think it's enough you create one newsletter for the staff, with staff forums, then another to members, without staff forums.

ah yes that is a point, I also have other club content that I would need to review to ensure my members in additional user groups receive what they need, but would be so much easier if it inherited the permission hierarchy model.

18 minutes ago, VR6Pete said:

ah yes that is a point, I also have other club content that I would need to review to ensure my members in additional user groups receive what they need, but would be so much easier if it inherited the permission hierarchy model.

I'm missing something here -- AFAIK you can't hide topics from account groups in a forum so why do you need permissions? Are you looking for a filter in the app which basically lets you choose "fill email with content available to X Group"?

1 hour ago, VR6Pete said:

That's quite a big over-sight -is this something that can be adapted as I wouldn't want to divulge topic names created in my moderators area divulged in my newsletter.

Then exclude the moderator forums. I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would want to include moderator data in a public-facing newsletter... and that's the idea here, for this to be sent to a wide distribution base.

Also, if I checked permissions on distribution, performance would be shot. This wasn't an oversight, this was something to which I gave considerable thought. Right now, I generate the issue content on publish, store it once. Then I send it out to each email in the list, in batches. Checking permissions would require almost a full rewrite of the distribution process.

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

I never used the app but I think it's enough you create one newsletter for the staff, with staff forums, then another to members, without staff forums.

True. But for moderator forums, I would think just following the forum would be sufficient? 

1 hour ago, HeadStand said:

Then exclude the moderator forums. I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would want to include moderator data in a public-facing newsletter... and that's the idea here, for this to be sent to a wide distribution base.

Also, if I checked permissions on distribution, performance would be shot. This wasn't an oversight, this was something to which I gave considerable thought. Right now, I generate the issue content on publish, store it once. Then I send it out to each email in the list, in batches. Checking permissions would require almost a full rewrite of the distribution process.

True. But for moderator forums, I would think just following the forum would be sufficient? 

Extends beyond that for me - as I have paid subscribers who can access certain sections of the forum, including discount codes etc... and wouldn't want non paying members being able to see these in the emails - I just assumed it would inherit permissions from the forum so the user who is getting mailed the newsletter only see's what they would be able to see by logging into the forum.

Its fine now I know it doesn't work that was as I can exclude all the forum sections that is hidden to non paying members - maybe just something that needs to be made clear so it can be setup in a way that wouldn't cause a problem.

Now that I know I can perhaps set up a new digest for club members only to receive a separate email including the paid subscriber sections but then means that a sub-set of users on my forum receive 2 emails which isn't always an ideal situation for my members.

Just now, VR6Pete said:

Now that I know I can perhaps set up a new digest for club members only to receive a separate email including the paid subscriber sections but then means that a sub-set of users on my forum receive 2 emails which isn't always an ideal situation for my members.

I understand. I just don't see an easy way around it at this point. Perhaps in a future release I can accommodate, but it's not something I can fix quickly... I just don't have the time available right now that would be required for a rewrite.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-19 at 9:21 PM, TheSkyLounge.tv said:

Has anyone created a nice looking "Digest" template they'd be willing to share? or $hare?

Please send PM

I'd also be interested :) 

@HeadStand I purchased Newsletter and had the first "sharp" newsletter sent away yesterday. Very simple, just last weeks new forum and blog posts.

The newsletter were scheduled for +6100 members but only about 21 cycles with 150 emails were sent (~3100). I also checked my Mailchimp/Mandrill account (which handles all emails) that only ~3100 emails were sent.

Any idea why this happened?

3 hours ago, Stefan Johansson_72643 said:

I'd also be interested :) 

@HeadStand I purchased Newsletter and had the first "sharp" newsletter sent away yesterday. Very simple, just last weeks new forum and blog posts.

The newsletter were scheduled for +6100 members but only about 21 cycles with 150 emails were sent (~3100). I also checked my Mailchimp/Mandrill account (which handles all emails) that only ~3100 emails were sent.

Any idea why this happened?

Is there anything in the system logs? You should be able to filter by the "newsletter" category.

The system log shows 21 sendings of 150 emails. The error log is empty.

I attach a screen shot of the page I come when when viewing one of the logged sendings.

When I click on the URL in the screen shot, it gives me

{"notifications":{"count":"0","data":[]},"messages":{"count":"0","data":[]}}

Skärmavbild 2017-01-22 kl. 19.54.32.png

The backtrace code is

#0 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/newsletters/sources/Issue/Issue.php(252): IPS\_Log::log('Distributed 99n...', 'newsletters')
#1 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/newsletters/extensions/core/Queue/DistributeNewsletters.php(81): IPS\newsletters\_Issue->distribute(3000)
#2 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(48): IPS\newsletters\extensions\core\Queue\_DistributeNewsletters->run(Array, 3000)
#3 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(44): IPS\_Task::runQueue()
#4 [internal function]: IPS\core\tasks\_queue->IPS\core\tasks\{closure}()
#5 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(342): call_user_func(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(56): IPS\_Task->runUntilTimeout(Object(Closure))
#7 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(249): IPS\core\tasks\_queue->execute()
#8 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(218): IPS\_Task->run()
#9 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(301): IPS\_Task->runAndLog()
#10 [internal function]: IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->__destruct()
#11 {main}

Edited by Stefan Johansson_72643
15 hours ago, Stefan Johansson_72643 said:

The system log shows 21 sendings of 150 emails. The error log is empty.

I attach a screen shot of the page I come when when viewing one of the logged sendings.

When I click on the URL in the screen shot, it gives me

{"notifications":{"count":"0","data":[]},"messages":{"count":"0","data":[]}}

Skärmavbild 2017-01-22 kl. 19.54.32.png

The backtrace code is

#0 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/newsletters/sources/Issue/Issue.php(252): IPS\_Log::log('Distributed 99n...', 'newsletters')
#1 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/newsletters/extensions/core/Queue/DistributeNewsletters.php(81): IPS\newsletters\_Issue->distribute(3000)
#2 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(48): IPS\newsletters\extensions\core\Queue\_DistributeNewsletters->run(Array, 3000)
#3 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(44): IPS\_Task::runQueue()
#4 [internal function]: IPS\core\tasks\_queue->IPS\core\tasks\{closure}()
#5 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(342): call_user_func(Object(Closure))
#6 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/applications/core/tasks/queue.php(56): IPS\_Task->runUntilTimeout(Object(Closure))
#7 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(249): IPS\core\tasks\_queue->execute()
#8 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Task/Task.php(218): IPS\_Task->run()
#9 /home/nicuuorg/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(301): IPS\_Task->runAndLog()
#10 [internal function]: IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->__destruct()
#11 {main}

Having read this I checked sparkpost and appears only around 6,000 mails were sent from my website, which is less than half of my member base.

I cant check the logs as I recently purged my logs following another bug with an addon causing the logs to get spammed everytime a visitor hit my website.

When I next do a send I will see if these errors appear in mine unless @HeadStand can confirm the issue before hand.