Development Installations

OblivionNW

I am currently working on building IPB into a custom website, so there is a lot involved with that. I find it ridiculous that I have to pay $15 just to move the installation path even when im installing it on .dev domains locally on my machine. Is there something I am missing, or does development not adopt the whole development/staging/production life cycle, if I can only install it once, i would imagine that want me to do all my development in production?

I hit this trying to convert to git deployments / docker. Bit of mare with the install codes and testing. Also as I code in the cloud, localhost just does not work! Well it can, but who's got time for that. You can only change/reset your urls so often. IIRC it's once every 6 months... hehe deploy a vps, run up docker, update your loadbalancer, that's a new url every 6 minutes. I don't therefore do this with ipb.

So I did two things.

1. Converted ( brought ) an old lic which gives me a public testable site. Seems expensive, but < 2hours dev time and you'll get that back later on demo/test site.

2. Use a domain I own, but create a dev subdomain, so dev.mydomain.tld and so on... then I map locally dev.subdomain to the ip wherever I'm testing, even 127.0.0.1. Localhost is the one that has a 'happy' exclusion though, by doing this mapping, you tie yourself to it's name for 6 months, or the $15 fee.

Ultimately, though it's not as smooth and happy path as other opensource projects, that's just a fact of the license. I've stopped worrying and gone with it.

HTH.

I too use docker for development. It is rather easy to spin up a mysql container and nginx/php for IPS4 apps. IPS4 is configured with my public license code and I just edit my local DNS (in my case, on the mac, this means editing /etc/hosts to map the public licensed domain name to 127.0.0.1). I can deploy multiple development environments on Public Cloud VMs using the same docker containers, but this time, editing /etc/hosts to map my domain name to the public IP of the VM/server running nginx.

The important thing to note is that your local DNS (that your browser accesses) is not the same as your public DNS for your domain. That is, you can install IPS4 under it's real domain name and just point your DNS resolver to the local IP that the test install is using (that is, that nginx is listening on).

• Management

You know, you can just contact us and we'll be happy to reset the URL for you provided it's not a daily thing. :) The main reason we impose a fee when you do it yourself is to deter license hoppers and abusers and we've even found developers/contributors doing it. Those who have multiple licenses and switch URLs around to get support and updates - that sort of thing. We don't need to overcomplicate things for you and can relatively instantly tell what the intent is, so just contact us and we'll update the URL, free of charge (generally.) 

KT Walrus - No. You are permitted one test install outside of your local computer. You may install on your localhost as many times as you'd like, but I'd consider manipulating the resolver to circumvent the licensing system to be a violation of the license agreement. 

Archived