Paid Subscriptions

Jelly Belly™

I'm currently using IPB 3.4.5 and I'm about to upgrade to the latest version

we use the "Subscriptions Manager"  addon that used to be available in the marketplace to accept paid subscriptions but its seems to have disappeared from the marketplace now so I'm just wondering how I deal with existing and new subscriptions after I've upgraded

any help appreciated

You'll need to do what I did, which is upgrade to Nexus, and then when you're ready to move to IPS 4, that will convert over to Commerce (which is what Nexus is called in IPS 4). The 3.4.x series is no longer available, nor is any of the addons that were in the Marketplace. Contact IPS Support and they can provide you with a Nexus installer once you've paid for it.

The other tricky thing is ensuring your server you are hosted on supports IonCube - again, contact IPS Support and they can help you out.

I must say, I've been on Nexus for several months now and it offers a LOT more than Subscriptions did - it is complex, and does take some trial and error to get all the settings the way you want (not what you want to hear when dealing with paying customers), and the upgrade went smoothly and no customer issues most importantly.

2 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

You'll need to do what I did, which is upgrade to Nexus, and then when you're ready to move to IPS 4, that will convert over to Commerce (which is what Nexus is called in IPS 4).

I cant upgrade to nexus first because its not compatible with my IPB version

I guess I can upgrade my forums to IPB  4.1.17 and then install nexus and it will import all my current subscriptions ?

That's not quite correct.

The only path to migrate from the old Subscriptions Manager, to v4 of Commerce, is to first upgrade to Board version 3.4.9 with Nexus 1.5.9, and then upgrade it all to v4.

(If you are already using version 4, there is no provision to import those old subscriptions, unfortunately.)

From your wording, I can't tell if you are already on v4, or if you mean Nexus 1.5.9 with Board 3.4.5 is not compatible. If you can clarify, we can give you a better answer. :)

12 hours ago, Mark H said:

That's not quite correct.

The only path to migrate from the old Subscriptions Manager, to v4 of Commerce, is to first upgrade to Board version 3.4.9 with Nexus 1.5.9, and then upgrade it all to v4.

(If you are already using version 4, there is no provision to import those old subscriptions, unfortunately.)

From your wording, I can't tell if you are already on v4, or if you mean Nexus 1.5.9 with Board 3.4.5 is not compatible. If you can clarify, we can give you a better answer. :)

I havent upgraded to version 4 yet and don't have nexus

I'm still using 3.4.5 along with the old subscription manager

How can I obtain Board version 3.4.9 with Nexus 1.5.9 ?

Ah, sorry - missed that you are on 3.4.5, so what Mark says is right - Upgrade to 3.4.9, add Nexus 1.5.9, upgrade Subscriptions to Nexus, then upgrade the whole lot to 4.1.

I was already on 3.4.9 with Subscription Manager when I added Nexus, and I am planning my 4.1 upgrade as we speak. Another recommendation is to make a list of the addons you have installed, evaluate if you still need them or not, and then look in the Marketplace for either the 4.x version of that addon, or something equivalent. No skins or addons you currently have will carry over during the 4.1 upgrade.

5 hours ago, Jelly Belly™ said:

I'm still using 3.4.5 along with the old subscription manager

How can I obtain Board version 3.4.9 with Nexus 1.5.9 ?

Please file a ticket to Support and detail the situation. We will be able to assist you in getting the files for an upgrade to 3.4.9/1.5.9, after which you (or we, just let us know) can upgrade to version 4.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this thread but I am in the same situation as the OP. I have 3.4.7 and the subscriptions manager hook, which works very well.

With V3 coming to EOL shortly I'm looking at upgrading to V4. I know I can install Nexus, convert the subscriptions and then upgrade to commence but the cost of doing this isn't worth it for me. It's only a small forum with a handful full of paid members and would cost more to subscribe to commence than the return that'll be made.

If subscriptions manager isn't available for V4 is there any other way of doing this? I would have to cancel the reoccurring paypal payments and I know half probably wouldn't sign up again. Any ideas as it's the only thing stopping me from upgrading ATM.

4 hours ago, -Rich- said:

It's only a small forum with a handful full of paid members and would cost more to subscribe to commence than the return that'll be made.

I've got a lot of subscribers and I am now using Commerce, its very good with loads of options but to be honest its a massive overkill for for my needs, I don't need all of the server stuff, or the support tickets or a fully fledged shop.

the old subscription manager was simple to use and it just worked really well

If you do upgrade be sure to make a back up of your existing subscribers, it failed to import mine when I upgraded lol

If you only have a few subscribers it might just be easier and cheaper to make a spread sheet and upgrade and expire paid members manualy

13 hours ago, Jelly Belly™ said:

I've got a lot of subscribers and I am now using Commerce, its very good with loads of options but to be honest its a massive overkill for for my needs, I don't need all of the server stuff, or the support tickets or a fully fledged shop.

the old subscription manager was simple to use and it just worked really well

If you do upgrade be sure to make a back up of your existing subscribers, it failed to import mine when I upgraded lol

If you only have a few subscribers it might just be easier and cheaper to make a spread sheet and upgrade and expire paid members manualy

Thanks for the reply.

Commerce would definitely be overkill for our forum but I have been looking around and found a donation hook for V4, which allows members to be moved to different groups that can have an expiration date applied to. I would lose the reoccurring payments, so need to rely on members renewing manually (I could always send a reminder) but this seems to fit in with our needs.

Archived