Question about commerce...

JLS

So, few questions as I'm thinking about adding a marketplace for our users to sell product etc...

- If pre-setup with admin can someone sell private forum access to a class area? We sell online workshops so wondering if we could direct the sales via the individual users instead of our main website sales page (non-ips). This way they can sell their own workshops.

- If users want to sell videos that can be a pretty large amount of storage space on our site. Is there a way for them to host the videos elsewhere to download from our site or something? How to you recommend handling this?

- Is there auto contracts setup or something? We would want a commission from sales...

- End of year paperwork I don't know about? I guess payments processed via PayPal don't require that from the IRS but what about individuals in other countries wanting to sell digital content? Do you say US only or how does that work?

- Physical items? Can they setup shipping etc? Or is this a digital market place only?

Just trying to understand more of what can be done here and how difficult.

thanks!

12 minutes ago, JLS said:

So, few questions as I'm thinking about adding a marketplace for our users to sell product etc...

- If pre-setup with admin can someone sell private forum access to a class area? We sell online workshops so wondering if we could direct the sales via the individual users instead of our main website sales page (non-ips). This way they can sell their own workshops.

You can sell access to membergroups and those membergroups can then grant access to certain areas like forums, Pages databases and so on. 
But that all needs to be set up by the admin. Commerce doesn’t allow members to sell anything directly. 

- If users want to sell videos that can be a pretty large amount of storage space on our site. Is there a way for them to host the videos elsewhere to download from our site or something? How to you recommend handling this?

I am thinking of doing that for one of my sites in the future. I would get a premium Vimeo account and set the videos so they would only play on my domain and then I would do what I described before with the membergroups to give access to the places where the videos are embedded. 

- Is there auto contracts setup or something? We would want a commission from sales...

Only for the Downloads app. 

- End of year paperwork I don't know about? I guess payments processed via PayPal don't require that from the IRS but what about individuals in other countries wanting to sell digital content? Do you say US only or how does that work?

It’s up to the shop owner to handle that manually. 

- Physical items? Can they setup shipping etc? 

Sure. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

Commerce doesn’t allow members to sell anything directly. 

That`s a pitty. Im building a site almost enterely based on trading, selling. Now I dont know how to manage the members money, maybe adding a pay button linking to their paypal accounts. it´s a headache. Some days ago a ipb staff member said they were having a internal discussion about this subject. Hope something change or Ill have to switch to wordpress

44 minutes ago, SammyS said:

That`s a pitty. Im building a site almost enterely based on trading, selling. Now I dont know how to manage the members money, maybe adding a pay button linking to their paypal accounts. it´s a headache. Some days ago a ipb staff member said they were having a internal discussion about this subject. Hope something change or Ill have to switch to wordpress

Sales Trading Pro by @Spanner

Classifieds by @Adriano Faria.

I think there's also Trader Feedback ... 

47 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Sales Trading Pro by @Spanner

Classifieds by @Adriano Faria.

I think there's also Trader Feedback ... 

I purchased classifieds, also have installed trader feedback. Not tested yet as my site is still under development, but as it uses Commerce the sale`s money goes to my account, not to the sellers`s. Some items on sale are really expensive and many sellers simply wont trust in a new website as mine

Archived