Extra Fields search is useless/do not work the way it is

Adriano Faria

On 12/6/2016 at 6:37 AM, Adriano Faria said:

I don't think this is necessary, at least for now. You can do a widget, just like Pages has, to filter records on category view. That will certainly improve things.

This still seems to be a quick and nice way to allow search in extra fields. It was added in Commerce in 4.3 or 4.4.

15 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

This still seems to be a quick and nice way to allow search in extra fields. It was added in Commerce in 4.3 or 4.4.

Can we do it for downloads? OR  You mean wait till IPS adds similar option for Download? 

• 1 month later...

Count me in as someone who thinks being able to search extra fields is critical.  I was shocked to learn that extra fields are not searchable.  I mean... what's the point of having them if they cannot be found?

I read earlier in this thread (2016) that IPS was focusing on Engagement and would get back to this issue.  But, it's 2019 and it's still not done?  I am well aware of the challenges and hard work that goes into these things and I don't mean to be pushy, but I would think the "fundamentals" would be a top priority.

Being able to search and find the content you are looking for is 100% necessary to keep users engaged and using our sites.

If they can't easily find what they are looking for they will just leave and what does that do for "engagement"?

I wish that was not the case and people would slow down and take the time to look around - but they won't, if it's easier somewhere else.

So, please consider making this issue a bigger priority than it has been.

Edited by Allegheny

On 11/28/2018 at 5:58 PM, DReffects2 said:

Looks like i still cannot search custom fields which makes the whole pages custom databases pretty much useless...

Any update on this?

I agree 100%.

What it's forced me to do is put everything in the main body / description so it will be included in a search.  Which does get around the search problem but wrecks any idea of having certain types of data separated out for uniformity and other database type purposes.  Like you said.... pretty much useless.

Which also begs the question.... The solution to not include extra fields in search results only speeds things up by having less data to process (odd solution for a search problem, as we want data and content).  But, since that forces us to put the data in an area that is indexed, the net result is the same (performance wise).  Sadly, this decision just causes us harm as now instead of having clean, uniform database like structures - we are basically left with the equivalent of static html pages.

It causes us a whole lot of extra work and we loose all the benefits of a database.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/8/2019 at 8:06 PM, AlexJ said:

2019! 

This is much required. Even Apple or any good website will have more filter option so that users can filter out search fast! Example - 

image.thumb.png.379b25a8f287771dee7ba99b6b6e3b56.png

image.thumb.png.c16cd731b8b9987bb1fa489acfaa20d8.png

My website has this custom options for 1 category Maps - but sadly - it's of no use at all for end user because they CANNOT search using it. It's like i have data through which users can search for what they want easily.. but none of that will work because after 3 years this functionality is not implemented!  Please do something about this. 

image.thumb.png.2f9d0a19c120bbddfb1075da4873b9c7.png

Just giving bump because it's very much required! @Matt @Lindy Please take a look, if possible.

Edited by AlexJ

• 2 months later...