Custom Notifications - Supporttopic

@Fosters

When I try to send a notification to all our users (we have 600,000+ registered users), I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 172219888 bytes) in [protected]/system/Db/Db.php on line 546

I tried reducing the number of users by sending a notification only for people who visited our website in 2017, but saw the same error.

Clearly our PHP is limiting the process to 128 MiB and the process is using more than that.

Note that I tried to send the notification manually. I don't know if I configure the notification and don't send it, if your app has a task to send the notification in batches, on the background.

If your app doesn't have this feature (batching sending in the background), I suggest adding it.

As for security reasons I don't plan to increase the PHP memory limit above 128 MiB... ;)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.12.2017 at 3:57 AM, Gabriel Torres said:

@Fosters

When I try to send a notification to all our users (we have 600,000+ registered users), I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 172219888 bytes) in [protected]/system/Db/Db.php on line 546

I tried reducing the number of users by sending a notification only for people who visited our website in 2017, but saw the same error.

Clearly our PHP is limiting the process to 128 MiB and the process is using more than that.

Note that I tried to send the notification manually. I don't know if I configure the notification and don't send it, if your app has a task to send the notification in batches, on the background.

If your app doesn't have this feature (batching sending in the background), I suggest adding it.

As for security reasons I don't plan to increase the PHP memory limit above 128 MiB... ;)

Thanks.

it is supporting batch processing, a background task is sending notifications in batches,. I'll take a look at this over christmas.

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This looks like just what I wanted.

Here's my scenario.  I get a bounced email, I update the users notifications so that the site sends them nothing.  Can I move them to a new group and then assign a Custom Notification for that group that let's them know they need to update their email?

Thanks

Yes, if you have a custom group for this people, you can send it only to this group.

17 hours ago, Fosters said:

it is supporting batch processing, a background task is sending notifications in batches,. I'll take a look at this over christmas.

I see...maybe I am not using the app correctly? If I create a new custom notification, do I need to hit the "Send" button as I did, or do I just need to leave it and the app will automatically send the notification in batches?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 6:19 PM, Gabriel Torres said:

I see...maybe I am not using the app correctly? If I create a new custom notification, do I need to hit the "Send" button as I did, or do I just need to leave it and the app will automatically send the notification in batches?

You will need to click on "Send" for every new custom notification that you create.  This was by design, because once you hit Send, you can't un-send.  Based upon feedback from early adopters, they created a new notice but realized they needed to edit it for grammatical and punctuation errors. Well, it was too late then.  We wanted Send to be a conscious decision by you.  

We can think about adding a log of when the notice was last sent.  

Edited by Fosters

Requested:

Archive / unarchive custom notifications.

Why?

If I delete older custom notifications, they are not shown anymore in the members notification history.

But I don't want to keep them in the long long unstructured list... I'm losing the overview.

We need 

• categories (for gathering identical or thematical items)
  • archives (as explained above)
  • scheduling (f.e. send after registration, send after 5 days membership...)

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Cyboman said:

Requested:

Archive / unarchive custom notifications.

Why?

If I delete older custom notifications, they are not shown anymore in the members notification history.

But I don't want to keep them in the long long unstructured list... I'm losing the overview.

We need 

• categories (for gathering identical or thematical items)
  • archives (as explained above)
  • scheduling (f.e. send after registration, send after 5 days membership...)

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We will consider.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarification, OneSignal was never planed to be included in this App, it's something completely different. All the PUSH stuff is scope of another app which we have coded for a client and which we plan to release to MP , but no ETA and we're even not sure if we're going to release it at all because of limited support resources.

Edited by Fosters
  • 3 weeks later...

We were able to work on the app from the past week.  Here's a small update on the application:

Custom Notifications

• [Bug] REST API Description
  • [Bug] Allowed memory size
  • [Bug] No 'Sent on date' on overview page
  • [Bug] ACP Table not responsive
  • [New] Show total number of receives
  • [Enhancement] Disallow sending of notification if in queue
  • [New] Create log of when notices are sent

We don't have a release date at this time and will most likely not release until 4.3 Beta, but please follow the file to be updated.  

Edited by Joel R
On ‎04‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 8:27 PM, Joel R said:

We were able to work on the app from the past week.  Here's a small update on the application:

Application Forms

Wrong topic or wrong title? Custom notifications != Application Forms.

But would be very interested in the custom notifications news here :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure how important this is, but wanted to report it to you guys just in case.

Without your application installed, a clear notification list displays properly, like such:

d0c25c2f0ba51308ed65bb00385abf8f.png

When your application is installed, there seems to be an empty notification stuck even when cleared.

02d038ec70d40ce9df9a2985447ed2aa.png

When I disable the Clear Notifications plug-in we have, it displays properly again.

c1e6e1f13db684f7e9ee75efa9669732.png

However, if another notification is received and then cleared, the empty notification returns.

Is this a conflict between the app and plugin that can be resolved?  Or does it matter?

Edited by GASR
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18.3.2018 at 10:27 AM, GASR said:

Not sure how important this is, but wanted to report it to you guys just in case.

Without your application installed, a clear notification list displays properly, like such:

d0c25c2f0ba51308ed65bb00385abf8f.png

When your application is installed, there seems to be an empty notification stuck even when cleared.

02d038ec70d40ce9df9a2985447ed2aa.png

When I disable the Clear Notifications plug-in we have, it displays properly again.

c1e6e1f13db684f7e9ee75efa9669732.png

However, if another notification is received and then cleared, the empty notification returns.

Is this a conflict between the app and plugin that can be resolved?  Or does it matter?

Are you using the recent version? This was AFAIK indeed a bug, which was fixed a while ago. If you're still seeing this, does this also happen with the default theme?
Could you post a link to the clear notifications app to test it myself? Thanks:)

Edited by Fosters

@Fosters

I am using the the most recent version of both, yes.  (Clear Notifications 1.0.2 and Custom Notifications 1.2.2) Also, it does still show up with both enabled on the default theme and other third party customizations disabled.  If I disable and re-enable one of them, the empty notification disappears, but if someone clears their notifications, it pops back up again.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Stormwolfe said:

Good Day,

Will this application be updated for 4.3.x? I am receiving a high number of errors according to my system log related to this application. We really love it and would like to continue using it.

Thank you!

What's the error?
This app works fine for me with 4.3