Custom Notifications - Supporttopic

• 3 months later...

Fosters Crew is pleased to present the latest version of Custom Notifications v1.1.0 available immediately in the IPS Marketplace for purchase!  The updated version is 4.2 compatible, which means it's ready to be installed on all 4.2.x installations and betas.  

Buy now or upgrade your existing copy:

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8388-custom-notifications/

API Integration
icon_image.jpg.d967e42cde973f092d295bf3bfe0145b.jpg.png.f1ad99f6be97a19f9c32d6ad370627c1.png

As part of the release, a new feature has been added to integrate custom notifications using REST and PHP API.  This allows advanced admins and coders to programmatically create custom notifications through this app.  More instructions are available on the Marketplace description.    

About Custom Notifications

Custom Notifications adds a powerful yet easy feature for admins to generate their own inline notifications, which behave like native IPS notifications. Admins can write and send as many custom notifications as they like, and basic options like authorship and link help enhance the behavior of the notifications.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Joey_M said:

@Fosters: Perhaps you might consider making an application which connects with OneSignal to allow for better web browser notifications and tie it in with this plugin right here? i.e two separate items but the custom notifications can be sent straight out via the application?

No I might not consider it because we have it already since almost 1 year;) But ATM it's an exclusive app for a client which will be released very very soon here too;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

59cc2c8b35e6d_FostersCustomNotificationsMarketplaceImage.jpg.c0e56fbc3d5e340789986c8dff9fb4dc.jpg

Custom Notifications is one of the simplest and easiest applications in our portfolio, yet it's also one of the most powerful.  You can use this in incredible ways, limited only by your imagination (no unicorns though!).  We want to show you how to write custom notifications, two advanced ways to build a system, and give you ideas in when to use it.  

As a brief introduction, Custom Notifications allows you to write your own custom notifications based upon certain criteria.  That's it.  It's so easy that you can write your first notification in 30 seconds!  But did you know you can define a cascading series of notifications backed by an elaborate system of criteria, which allows you to penetrate and hyper-target certain kinds of users?  That's where the simplicity of overlapping notifications can be leveraged into an incredible system by using two key features:

• Multiple notifications -- Write the notifications in advance, so they're entirely automated.  
  • Multiple criteria - Base your criteria upon successive criteria, so you create a series of notifications.  

You can set up an automated system of notifications that trigger when certain criteria is met, which can create a never-ending system of engaging your userbase.  Become an "InvisionPOWER admin" in no time!  (yes, yes we did come up with that pun, and yes we're totally trademarking that idea ;) ).  

We have 3 tutorials in this series, so follow this topic to read each tutorial when they're published.

Edited by Fosters

59cda095b460e_FostersCustomNotificationsMarketplaceImage.jpg.c83d875198bd7ef1f9788c731a88395e.jpg

Tutorial 1: How to Write a Custom Notification

The first part of the tutorial is to learn how to write your first custom notification.  It will take you 30 seconds; we promise you it's that easy! :) 

1. Navigate to ACP > Members > Custom Notifications
  2. Click on the "+Create New" button
  3. Write a message like "Hello new member, thank you for joining our community."  You have two voluntary options:
    1. Link -- Link to a content item or a URL of your choice.
    2. Author -- Define an author or let the message be generic
  4. Go to the "General Filters" tab.  Define the criteria that you want.  Then click Save.  

That's it!  You should see your first notification.  Enable or Disable your custom notification as needed.

59cda061be5bc_CustomNotification1WriteFirstNotification.thumb.JPG.53903abe20c4f269f37104671b70cff8.JPG

Great job! You created a Custom Notification!

Extra Notes

Some extra tips to make the most out of the app:

• If you want to test, we recommend you add the criteria Group = Administrator so the notification goes to the Administrators.
  • Each notification will have options to enable, send, edit, copy or delete.  
    • If you're testing, you can 'send' the notification.  
    • If you're building a system of notifications, you can 'copy' the notification.  
    • If you want to change the criteria, you can 'edit' the notification.  

59cda0804f2f4_CustomNotification1AOptions.JPG.1119a4479bf524d9c2b43556422ffaf0.JPG

Each notification will have options to enable, send, edit, copy, or delete.

59cf0fd84267d_FostersCustomNotificationsMarketplaceImage.jpg.900ef1984c3ddcfa44d7041ec37c4945.jpg

Tutorial 2: Advanced Strategies

This is when the fun starts and you become a power user of the app.  It's easy to learn, easy to implement, and there are so many things you can do with the app!   There are two key features in Custom Notifications that makes the app especially powerful:

• Multiple Notifications
  • Multiple Criteria

Let's take a look at these two features in more detail.  

Multiple Notifications

You know how to write your first notification.  Now it's time to write multiple notifications, so you can create an automated system that constantly engages the users.  You can create a whole campaign for things like new member engagement, member inactivity, member ranks, or anything else by using multiple notifications to constantly and successively ping your users.  And the more you notify the users, the more they stay on your website!  

59cf0ffc42e98_CustomNotifications2AMultipleNotifications.thumb.JPG.c0d9cb806a1bd6229fc88eb967b4c7e1.JPG

So much notification, your users will never want to leave.

Multiple Criteria

What energizes the entire notification system is the criteria system, and the criteria system can be simple or elaborate.  It's all up to you.  You can choose to send out unique notifications that hyper-target a particular time, date, or membership; you can send out a series of notifications based upon successive criteria; or you can send out notifications that integrate with features in the IPS software.  Taking advantage of the criteria system is what will empower you to create an incredible set of notifications.  

This is the full set of current criteria:

• Content Content - with options for any, greater than, less than, or equal
  • Member Groups
  • 2 Factor Authentication
  • Member Last Posted
  • Member Last Visited
  • Member of the Day
  • Member Joined
  • Gallery - Albums
Edited by Fosters

59d0283671612_FostersCustomNotificationsMarketplaceImage.jpg.392120ba98301043b9f8d35efd79f532.jpg

Tutorial 3: Scenarios 

There are so many fun ways to utilize Custom Notifications.  The sky is the limit (and even then, we're ridin' high on a rocketship).  We have so many ideas for you, we had to group them into separate sections!  Pick and choose which scenarios you like, and start building your Custom Notifications!  

Awards System

Sample scenarios for you to reward and congratulate users for achieving new milestones:

• Activity -- Create an informal system of activity awards by congratulating users on their activity in the website.  The criteria for content count includes any activity, such as writing a topic, responding to a post, answering a question, uploading an image, etc.  More content usually means more experience and greater membership with  the website.
  • Reputation -- Tie into the default IPS rank by congratulating and notifying users about achieving a new rank.  When used in conjunction with the rank system, you can create a reputation awards system!  
  • Leaderboard -- Let users race for the leaderboard in a daily competition by congratulating users if they were Member of the Day in the past.  
  • Duration -- Do you have a user who has been a member for 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, or even 1 decade with your website?  That's awesome!  Let them know about their anniversary day with a custom notification.

Commerce

Drive more business by issuing custom notifications upon a recent purchase:

• Thank You - Send a thank you note for supporting your website by purchasing a product or subscription.
  • Upsell - Offer a relevant and more valuable purchase in your store.  Remember to link to the product so users can easily access.  
  • Drip Campaign - Target these 'high-value' members by membergroup or purchase in a drip campaign by sending them custom notifications on a consistent basis.   

Members

Get new members involved, get old members back, and get all members more involved:

• New Members - Filter for lurkers with no content count or members who joined in the last day, and provide a series of educational tips to introduce them to your community.  Help them introduce themselves in an Introduction Board; help them write their first post; help them fill out their profile.  
  • Inactive Members - Filter for members who last visited over 90 days ago and send them a custom notification to bring them back!  
  • Member Engagement - You can mix-and-match criteria for membergroups, member last posted, member last visited, and member joined to target any kind of member that you want.

Community

These are some of our most favorite ideas, but we didn't know how to categorize them so here they are!  

• Tour - Give a virtual tour of your community, roll out new features, or introduce new upgrades by sending out notifications over time showing off new features or options.  Remember to link to the content item or a tutorial for more information.  
  • Security - With the rise of identity theft, it's more important than ever to inform your users about your website's security precautions.  You can use Custom Notifications to highlight important security features like asking users to input their password when accessing secure areas like the Client Area, privacy over items like birthdays or emails, the new 2 Factor Authentication with Google Authenticator, changes to your Terms of Service, etc.  
  • Holidays or Important Days - Auto-celebrate the holidays (and leave time to actually party!) by creating a series of holiday wishes or important days by creating custom notifications in advance and then enabling the notification when needed.

As you can see, there is SO MUCH you can do with Custom Notifications!  It's driven by an extensive list of criteria where you can target everyone, hyper-target a select few, target high-value, or target members to become more engaged.  It's also a system where you can build multiple campaigns of multiple notifications, enabling you to create elaborate series of notifications that are entirely automated.  And finally, it's so easy.  This app includes everything with simple and clear options for you to get started in minutes.  We wish we could notify everyone on how fun and amazing this app can be so you can be the next InvisionPOWER Admin!  

On ‎28‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 12:57 AM, Fosters said:

You can set up an automated system of notifications that trigger when certain criteria is met

I understand it like this: If I create a custom notification with "send to all members if content count > 100", then it will directly send out to all members that have more than 100 content count. Right? Or is it a delayed sendout?

• Do I have to click on "send" or will the notification be sent automatically via a task as soon as the criteria is matched?
  • In the example above: How often will the notification be sent in the future? On 101 contents, on 102 contents a.s.o.? Every each new content count a notification will automatically be sent to the member without my participation? Or will all notifications only be sent out once for each member and then never again?
  • Is there anything like "repeating custom notifications"? F.e. in time intervals...?
On ‎01‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 1:28 AM, Fosters said:

Inactive Members - Filter for members who last visited over 90 days ago and send them a custom notification to bring them back!  

How is this achieved? As far as I know, you can't email inactive members with "custom notifications". Can I? If not, I don't understand how a notification could inform inactive members if they are not logged in.

In addition: I've setup a test rule to send a notification to

• admin group
  • user account created more than 1 days ago
  • notification is active

I didn't click on "send" as it should be automated as I understand it. (if I create another test rule, f.e. more than 3 days, and click send, I directly get the notification)

My admin account has been registered 100 days ago. But I don't receive any (automatic) notification for the 1 days test rule... 

When will notifications take place? And on what incidents? Do I need to create a new post to trigger them?

Edited by Cyboman
  1. No, notifications aren't sent automatically. You can create and save it without sending it right now.
  2. See the previous reply:D They're not sent automatically. Once you send it from the ACP, it's sent and that's it. The people meeting the criteria RIGHT now will receive it.

Please give me some time to read the other posts to reply to them:D

Ok, was only wondering about the "automation" term. Now I know: "create an automated system that constantly engages the users" states that a very important automation part is myself to clickstart each sendout process :lol:

On ‎01‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 1:28 AM, Fosters said:

New Members - ... members who joined in the last day, and provide a series of educational tips to introduce them to your community...

Please consider this: if I want to notify "new members who joined in the last day", I will have to manually click "send" daily. And if there is a series of multiple notifications for new members, I have to click multiple times daily. This will require a very good discipline!

As an idea for a future update: it would be great if we could schedule the sendout trigger (f.e. daily or once per week on wednesdays 09:00 AM). 

Thanks for building this awesome application! It will be an important part in my engagement strategy.

4 hours ago, Cyboman said:

As an idea for a future update: it would be great if we could schedule the sendout trigger (f.e. daily or once per week on wednesdays 09:00 AM). 

Yea, it's planned https://fosters.tech/projects/item/621-dont-understand-the-activeinactive-declaration-in-acp-cn-overview/ (scheduled notifications were planned, but I have to admit that I love the idea with the additional criteria and automatically triggered notifications. I've put this on our roadmap.

We've already planned to review and update this app in october so this suggestion is perfect for the next release:)

Edited by Fosters
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21.08.2017 at 5:26 PM, Fosters said:

No I might not consider it because we have it already since almost 1 year;) But ATM it's an exclusive app for a client which will be released very very soon here too;)

Is OneSignal integration available at the moment ? I have seen Xenforo forums having Web Push Notifications integration already available and users request to have it on our site as well

• 3 weeks later...

Couple presales questions:

1. Can I use this to create different custom notifications for specific forums?  I have a few forums that I would like to alert the Moderators that there is a new topic, so they can respond quickly.

2.  I assume it also supports email notifications, but just want to confirm...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

5a07720079146_FostersCustomNotificationsMarketplaceImage.jpg.80ffdd88a9f0794c84a96357d986e4ea.jpg

Fosters Crew is pleased to present the newest version of Custom Notifications v1.2.0, available immediately in the IPS Marketplace for download.  The newest version of Custom Notifications overhauls the listing in the ACP.  

ACP Listing

The list of custom notifications in the ACP received a design overhaul, with an easier view of the notifications and advanced settings available at your fingertip. 

You can filter by Sent, Unsent, or All with easy filters:

59ffdbf30202e_ACPCustomNotifications-Sent.thumb.JPG.b17a59b39642f509fca3ce8c66209cfa.thumb.jpg.d49f4babeb44b268b924b5b0dd1ef140.jpg

And you can Send, Search, and see latest Sent on information directly from the table:

59ffdc329c89f_ACPCustomNotifications-All.JPG.cb5141b69be9ab3ac9d3b489a71564e7.thumb.JPG.61451f98f2d6ee35e8898c1648199e33.JPG

Please remember to report any bugs or suggestions to the Project Manager https://fosters.tech/projects/project/22-custom-notifications/?do=issues

Edited by Fosters
  • 4 weeks later...
SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS core_members.* FROM `ibf_core_members` AS `core_members` WHERE Array AND Array AND Array ORDER BY member_id ASC
IPS\Db\Exception: Unknown column 'Array' in 'where clause' (1054)
#0 xxx/system/Db/Select.php(378): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*IPS\\customnot...', Array, true)
#1 xxx/system/Db/Select.php(580): IPS\Db\_Select->runQuery()
#2 xxx/applications/customnotifications/extensions/core/Queue/CustomNotification.php(40): IPS\Db\_Select->count(true)
#3 xxx/system/Task/Task.php(127): IPS\customnotifications\extensions\core\Queue\_CustomNotification->preQueueData(Array)
#4 xxx/applications/customnotifications/modules/admin/notifications/notifications.php(133): IPS\_Task::queue('customnotificat...', 'CustomNotificat...', Array, 1)
#5 xxx/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\customnotifications\modules\admin\notifications\_notifications->send()
#6 xxx/system/Node/Controller.php(62): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#7 xxx/applications/customnotifications/modules/admin/notifications/notifications.php(32): IPS\Node\_Controller->execute()
#8 xxx/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\customnotifications\modules\admin\notifications\_notifications->execute()
#9 xxx/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#10 {main}

On 12/1/2017 at 10:26 AM, Maniutek said:

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS core_members.* FROM `ibf_core_members` AS `core_members` WHERE Array AND Array AND Array ORDER BY member_id ASC
IPS\Db\Exception: Unknown column 'Array' in 'where clause' (1054)
#0 xxx/system/Db/Select.php(378): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*IPS\\customnot...', Array, true)
#1 xxx/system/Db/Select.php(580): IPS\Db\_Select->runQuery()
#2 xxx/applications/customnotifications/extensions/core/Queue/CustomNotification.php(40): IPS\Db\_Select->count(true)
#3 xxx/system/Task/Task.php(127): IPS\customnotifications\extensions\core\Queue\_CustomNotification->preQueueData(Array)
#4 xxx/applications/customnotifications/modules/admin/notifications/notifications.php(133): IPS\_Task::queue('customnotificat...', 'CustomNotificat...', Array, 1)
#5 xxx/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\customnotifications\modules\admin\notifications\_notifications->send()
#6 xxx/system/Node/Controller.php(62): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#7 xxx/applications/customnotifications/modules/admin/notifications/notifications.php(32): IPS\Node\_Controller->execute()
#8 xxx/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\customnotifications\modules\admin\notifications\_notifications->execute()
#9 xxx/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#10 {main}

Glad we're not the only ones. :) Not that I'm happy about there being a problem, but I also reported this crash: https://fosters.tech/projects/item/694-crash-when-trying-to-send-notification/

Hope it's fixed very soon! We were planning to send a community announcement using this tool, but we've delayed specifically in the hopes that these problems are fixed! (we have a fallback plan, but we'd rather use notifications!)