Why don't we have this?

Square Wheels

10 hours ago, Joel R said:

Check with @superj707, he knows the Marketplace plugins for member directories.

Thanks, but I'd like something supported and maintained by IPS.

8 hours ago, Lindy said:

Check this out.

See above.

7 hours ago, Ohio Guns said:

A member list feature is just some old archaic remenant of communities. It serves no real purpose and I'd venture to say 99% of people have never visited one for any kind of meaningful purpose

For some that may be true, but I have a page on my site now and I use it regularly.

28 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Be interested to hear what you use it for that the member search does not support.

I can't speak for Square Wheels, but whenever I use a members page on a forum, I want to check for basic info at a glance, such as "How many posts do the most active users have?" or "How many Likes did the top submitters get?". The thing with searching for such info is that you have to be active: You have to enter something in order to get this info. On a members page I get all this with a single click.

3 minutes ago, TLMD said:

I can't speak for Square Wheels, but whenever I use a members page on a forum, I want to check for basic info at a glance, such as "How many posts do the most active users have?" or "How many Likes did the top submitters get?". The thing with searching for such info is that you have to be active: You have to enter something in order to get this info. On a members page I get all this with a single click.

If you don't put in a search term you get the full list: https://invisionpower.com/search/?&type=core_members

• Management
1 minute ago, TLMD said:

...and I can sort by post count

https://invisionpower.com/search/?type=core_members&sortby=member_posts&sortdirection=desc&page=1

1 minute ago, TLMD said:

or reputation

https://invisionpower.com/search/?type=core_members&sortby=pp_reputation_points&sortdirection=desc&page=1

2 minutes ago, TLMD said:

or something else

https://invisionpower.com/search/?type=core_members&sortby=joined&sortdirection=desc&page=1

2 minutes ago, TLMD said:

Yeah, that would be enough for me

Glad we could help!

On 03/11/2016 at 1:56 PM, Square Wheels said:

I know a members page has been asked for a million times and we've been told no one wants it, so we aren't getting one.  It seems like such a basic thing for a community.

This one is very simple, and nicely done.  Stock.

https://xenforo.com/community/members/

XenForo are like a VCR company. Great for people who want to use outdated technology.

On 11/3/2016 at 6:56 AM, Square Wheels said:

I know a members page has been asked for a million times and we've been told no one wants it, so we aren't getting one.  It seems like such a basic thing for a community.

This one is very simple, and nicely done.  Stock.

https://xenforo.com/community/members/

I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I have to say as much as I love IPB the default member list situation is abysmal. It's the same story too from the team. essentially some form of "you don't need that" or "you can do it.. just use this horrifically long url that nobody would ever find".  It's just not useful in anyway. I do understand that the "classic" style memberlist was useless but instead of being creative and expanding on the concept to make it social and great in 2016 it's basically all but neutered. ugh!  I've given up the argument. The powers that be have made their position clear.

However for those of us who still want nice things, The options in the marketplace do actually satisfy the need pretty well. I put a bunch of my own money up in order to encourage these things to be developed.

Use the above two mods together, they are great.

The thing above  by fosters does something slightly different. Allows you to create multiple lists based on a number of ways to group members into buckets. It's great

A member list is an incredibly important part of any "community" and really is fundamental to success of a site in my opinion. Not having a GREAT one is a huge miss.  However, Try all of the above.. I think you will be happy. :):):)

WIN WIN for all.

I think you've misunderstood our position :) A standard member list isn't much use in most cases (there are cases where it is, but not enough for us to have it as a built-in thing), but there's definitely scope for improvements in highlighting the best members, interesting people etc. throughout the community. Stay tuned for more information on those kinds of things.

17 minutes ago, Rikki said:

I think you've misunderstood our position :) A standard member list isn't much use in most cases (there are cases where it is, but not enough for us to have it as a built-in thing), but there's definitely scope for improvements in highlighting the best members, interesting people etc. throughout the community. Stay tuned for more information on those kinds of things.

I apologize if I have misrepresented the position. I like the memberlist a lot and I think it has huge potential with a little creativity and new ideas to make it relative. I feel like the only thing anyone can imagine is the same old memberlist that was indeed useless.

7 hours ago, Tom S. said:

XenForo are like a VCR company. Great for people who want to use outdated technology.

Out of respect for one of the biggest competitors to IP.Board, I would like to point out that if Xenforo is a VCR company, they do VCR very very well.  

I would like to point out that since the removal of the member page the personalized spam has dropped dramatically.  I am personally thankful that there is no members list in IPB.  Likewise, I take great steps to remove it on the other developments I use with similar results.

14 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Actually, it has many more powerful features than the IPS app does in many respects.  At least you can do (built in) promotions based upon more than # of days membership or # of content posted (as an example), or you can base promotions based upon the completion of custom fields that the admin have configured, which allows automated assignment to custom defined groups granting additional permissions (like specific forum access).

The Xenforo gallery can perform functions that the IPS gallery cannot (and some of which have been requested for a while to be able to do).

Forum to forum it has more abilities built in. 

You have to use the tool needed for the job.

1 hour ago, Tracy Perry said:

Actually, it has many more powerful features than the IPS app does in many respects.  At least you can do (built in) promotions based upon more than # of days membership or # of content posted (as an example), or you can base promotions based upon the completion of custom fields that the admin have configured, which allows automated assignment to custom defined groups granting additional permissions (like specific forum access).

The Xenforo gallery can perform functions that the IPS gallery cannot (and some of which have been requested for a while to be able to do).

Forum to forum it has more abilities built in. 

You have to use the tool needed for the job.

I recently switch from xF over to IPB and one area that xF is also killing it is modifications and community support for their products. Most the time here my questions just go unanswered and the modifications are lacking. Though the ones that are here I have used have been top notch and quality work.

6 hours ago, Ohio Guns said:

and the modifications are lacking

Do you have any examples?
I'm also coming from xenforo and IMO IPS4 provides much more out of the box, so modifications like the widget framework, advertisement management, warning acknowledgement, allowing users to edit their name + namehistory aren't needed :) And the IPS Pages application makes stuff like the featured topics, Showcase or portal apps unnecessary.

Let's take their top resources:

• Featured Threads and Portal : Out of the box with the pages app and we have also a free 3rd party portal app here
  • Widget Framework: Out of the box
  • Nodes as Tabs: Out of box
  • Post Ratings: we have a similar 3rd party application here
  • Tag me : we have a 3rd party app
  • Showcase: Out of the Box with the pages app and also as 3rd party app
  • Addon Install & Upgrade: We don't have to upload any file via FTP with IPS4 :) so just another feature which is possible out of the box here, but installations & upgrades direct from the Downloads Manager would be handy. We should probably request this for the core:D
My 0.02$ :)

8 hours ago, fosters said:

Post Ratings: we have a similar 3rd party application here

Finally... XF had the add-on for several years. 

As for the rest.. let's see what the new version of XF2 brings.  

I personally don't mind add-ons for some stuff, but promotions - jeezus, come on now, only allowing 2 items to base promotions on?
EVERY script I've used allows more than two items to base promotions on.  Even myBB allows promotions based upon 7 criteria.

8 hours ago, fosters said:

Showcase: Out of the Box with the pages app and also as 3rd party app

Errr... care to show me somewhere that has Pages configured like ShowCase?  Got a sneaking suspicion that there is no comparison between them without EXTENSIVE Pages coding.

Oh, and not to mention.. no need of a $75 add-on (1st party) to allow subscriptions.  It's built into XenForo.

As I said, each has it's place for use... but there are some areas that IPS just seems to shoot itself in the foot (and yes, I harp on promotions because I tend to make extensive use of them and feel that you shouldn't have to go to an outside add-on for something as core as that).  I've been using the 3 major scripts for a minimum of the past year (about 1 year with WBB, 1.5 years with IPS, 4 years with XF) and then myBB also.  So I've had fairly extensive exposure to the administrative backends of them and are aware of what I perceive as weaknesses in each of them.

7 hours ago, Ohio Guns said:

modifications and community support for their products

The community support is getting somewhat better from my initial exposure (think that's been since 06/2015).  It still has a long way to go as far as the community support aspect compared to XenForo, but it is better than it was.  There is also a tad more interaction with IPS staff in a beneficial manner via the topics than what it was.  One of my major ass-chappers was the "submit a ticket" response.  Well, IMHO, on a lot of things it is a common issue that is asked and that the resolution could be given in a topic reply so that others that may run into it would be able to find a possible resolution without waiting on response to a ticket (which can take up to 48 hours if I remember their SLA aspect - usually lately it's been faster from my experience).

As for add-ons, overall the XF developer scene seems to be a little more active, but there are plenty of quality developers present over here also.  

Archived