Migrating from IPS Community Suite to phpBB possible?

Jeremy Law

We have been using Invision since November 2004. Since the free version.

IPB4 is absolutely dreadful. We have members who no longer return to the site and others that state they are getting so frustrated that they intend to leave.

One admin has resigned because it is now so complex. We have member leaving that have previously supported the board for ten+ years!

Would be interested in any info on migrating to another system.

• Management
5 hours ago, Jeremy Law said:

Due to complete frustration I'm considering moving away from the product.  Anyone ever migrate?

I'm very sorry for your frustration. I hope migrating from a Windows server to a Linux server helps alleviate some of the stress. There's a lot of things Windows is good at (I'm told, anyway :)) but being a modern platform for PHP and MySQL is, from our experience, not one of them... without oodles of drama. We do offer limited support for Windows (and a couple of our developers use it for development), where we can, but it accounts for so very little of our overall client base and adds so many challenges to debug and support, we generally recommend a LAMP platform. 

We understand not everyone has the luxury of choosing/migrating server environments, so I'd remind that we do offer a Community in the Cloud service at https://www.invisionpower.com/buy/ in which you can keep the rest of your site as-is and let us handle your community. 

I'd certainly welcome you to contact us (feel free to reach out directly to me, if you'd like) to discuss any concerns, before or after your switch to Linux. We're happy to do our best to assist within the scope of our recommended server requirements. 

Because you're best served discussing migrating to another platform by inquiring on that provider's site if that's the direction you ultimately choose, I'm going to close this, but would again welcome you to contact us with any further questions or concerns. 

Thanks for the opportunity to work with you.

Archived