rel="noreferrer" killed our affiliate revenues

Apfelstrudel

Hi,

only yesterday we found out that the rel="noreferrer" attribute killed 99% of our affilate revenues over the last 10 months. This attribute is being added to all external links, also to the affiliate links.

The affilate companies rated our clicks as invalid due to the missing referrer.

I know seeing this so late is absolutely our fault. No question. ?

But why isn't this being documented like the nofollow acp setting?

There must be a setting to remove this attribute from links otherwise affiliate links within postings could be invalid if the affilate checks the referrer.

Yesterday we coded a JS workaround to eliminate noreferrer from external links. Now it works again.

7 minutes ago, opentype said:

Isn’t that connected to the nofollow setting in the ACP? You can turn it off or leave it on and whitelist your partner sites. This silent change shocked me too, when I found about it later on, but I think I got it working again with just the ACP settings – no JS tricks. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.25.30.png

It's connected to the external links setting ( Force posted links to open in new windows ) .

// Open external links in a new window
			if( ips.getSetting('links_external') ) {
				this.scope.find('a[rel*="external"]').each( function( index, elem ){
					elem.target = "_blank";
					elem.rel = elem.rel + " noopener noreferrer";
				})
			}

I have to come back to this important issue.

Is there something planned to let admins enable/disable this noreferrer-"feature" or do I have to decide between the two weird settings:

1. loosing session-users due to the diabled "open in a new tab"-setting but I'm allowed to earn affiliate money

and

2. keeping more session-users but burying the referrer-based site monetization?

@Lindy: As opentype has already mentioned, referrer-based site monetization is an important issue for a lot of forums.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.10.2016 at 10:29 AM, Apfelstrudel said:

I have to come back to this important issue.

Is there something planned to let admins enable/disable this noreferrer-"feature" or do I have to decide between the two weird settings:

1. loosing session-users due to the diabled "open in a new tab"-setting but I'm allowed to earn affiliate money

and

2. keeping more session-users but burying the referrer-based site monetization?

@Lindy: As opentype has already mentioned, referrer-based site monetization is an important issue for a lot of forums.

*bump*

How can we get rid of this noreferrer problem without loosing session users?

I'm just wondering that obviously we have no other ipb admins here who use affiliate links.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 22/11/2016 at 8:21 AM, Fosters said:

We're testing this currently at @Apfelstrudels community

Any update on this?

On 25/10/2016 at 10:40 AM, Daniel F said:

It's connected to the external links setting ( Force posted links to open in new windows ) .

// Open external links in a new window
			if( ips.getSetting('links_external') ) {
				this.scope.find('a[rel*="external"]').each( function( index, elem ){
					elem.target = "_blank";
					elem.rel = elem.rel + " noopener noreferrer";
				})
			}

Where is that piece of JS to be changed?

3 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

It's worth noting that if you work around this, you are enabling the possibility of a phishing vulnerability on your community: https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/256-targetblank---the-most-underestimated-vulnerability-ever/

Well, that's great.

It seems like FireFox added support for the "noopener" link type. So we can remove noreferrer? Or are people still in 2012 and using FireFox 1

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases/52#HTML

33 minutes ago, David.. said:

Well, that's great.

It seems like FireFox added support for the "noopener" link type. So we can remove noreferrer? Or are people still in 2012 and using FireFox 1

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases/52#HTML

Thanks, I have brought this up internally so that we can review our implementation.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived