Scheduled Posts

JMSetzler

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 3:49 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

There is no way in which to schedule posts at present

Dang. Was hoping it would be; or maybe a lovely community person could develop something, because it would be a lifesaver sometimes, especially with the same posts coming weekly, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 9:58 PM, MNOfficial said:

maybe a lovely community person could develop something

There is a workaround about it if you have Pages. 

1. Create a hidden Pages database, with no permissions for the users
  2. Enable posting a new topic in the forum, if the record is published
  3. Create your topics and schedule the records to be published in the future
  4. When the record is published, the thread is automatically posted on the forum

You might edit a template to remove the reference (link) to the record: cms->front->submit->topic

image.thumb.png.a1abc7c5cfb697248dd40c993ad06924.png

On 4/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, Robert Angle said:

This is definitely a much needed feature. My Staff would love the ability to schedule posts in advance. Seems like it would be an easy implementation. Swap it out with that scheduled unlock feature which I can't fathom ever having a use for.

I agree. It would help so much!

On 4/4/2022 at 8:23 AM, Sonya* said:

There is a workaround about it if you have Pages. 

1. Create a hidden Pages database, with no permissions for the users
  2. Enable posting a new topic in the forum, if the record is published
  3. Create your topics and schedule the records to be published in the future
  4. When the record is published, the thread is automatically posted on the forum

We don't want a workaround, we need solution, you not buying Tesla and then working about to solve the issue....and yes I compare Invision Community to Tesla 🤣

3 minutes ago, Edjazoli said:

We don't want a workaround, we need solution, you not buying Tesla and then working about to solve the issue....and yes I compare Invision Community to Tesla 🤣

Then good luck and patience while waiting for solution 🙃

3 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Then good luck and patience while waiting for solution 🙃

It's sad but that's how it is. Invision is busy with other things. They are not listening to their clients, well, at least not those in self hosted plans. And if they are listening, they should at least say something.

It's incredible how they can ignore us and dozens of posts and errors and do nothing about it. 

41 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

It's incredible how they can ignore us and dozens of posts and errors and do nothing about it. 

It's not fair what you say. They listen and have to decide what to develop first.

Imagine, they have a long list of features and requests. They cannot implement all of them at once. They have to prioritize. Some of the features are at the end of the list. And probably will not be implemented ever. That's life. And while they are developing one feature all others should just wait (waiting is different from being ignored).

Errors are solved in the Help & Support forum. I have not seen one that has been ignored. I use the support forum a lot and the most errors I have reported have been solved in the next release. 

I wish there were a feature for everything I will ever need. And that - out of the box. I have to admit, there is no software out there that has it. I can complain, I can demand, I can develop or job out mods, I can use workarounds, I can make feature suggestions and wait. There are a lot of ways.

But saying they ignore and they would listen only to Cloud customers is just not fair. 

1 minute ago, Sonya* said:

It's not fair what you say. They listen and have to decide what to develop first.

Imagine, they have a long list of features and requests. They cannot implement all of them at once. They have to prioritize. Some of the features are at the end of the list. And probably will not be implemented ever. That's life. And while they are developing one feature all others should just wait (waiting is different from being ignored).

Errors are solved in the Help & Support forum. I have not seen one that has been ignored. I use the support forum a lot and the most errors I have reported have been solved in the next release. 

I wish there were a feature for everything I will ever need. And that - out of the box. I have to admit, there is no software out there that has it. I can complain, I can demand, I can develop or job out mods, I can use workarounds, I can make feature suggestions and wait. There are a lot of ways.

But saying they ignore and they would listen only to Cloud customers is just not fair. 

This thread was started 6 years ago and two of their other apps already had the feature at that time.... I think saying that they're ignoring the request is pretty fair. 

1 minute ago, CheersnGears said:

This thread was started 6 years ago and two of their other apps already had the feature at that time.... I think saying that they're ignoring the request is pretty fair. 

Again… just because the feature does not happen does not mean they don’t listen. As Sonya said… there are only so many hours in a day. 

I personally have 10 other features I would like to see that I personally feel are much more useful/important than this. And while I’d like to think I’m the most important person in the world, I know I’m not. There are other issues and priorities. IPS’ job is to figure out what the majority of its users need most.  As much as I would like to wish it was all about me, it ain’t. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

Again… just because the feature does not happen does not mean they don’t listen. As Sonya said… there are only so many hours in a day. 

I personally have 10 other features I would like to see that I personally feel are much more useful/important than this. And while I’d like to think I’m the most important person in the world, I know I’m not. There are other issues and priorities. IPS’ job is to figure out what the majority of its users need most.  As much as I would like to wish it was all about me, it ain’t. 🙂

It's been approximately 48,228 hours since the original request was made. Multiply that by, what..? Probably 4 developers and you've got 191,912 hours.

So yeah.. take out holidays and weekends, and they've only had 150,000ish hours to work on a function that already exists in two other sections of their code. 

You'll probably we waiting just as long, or longer, for your 10 features as well. 

It's the unfortunate reality of Invision Power and has been for years.... unless one of their enterprise customers wants it, it doesn't get done.  Us peasants here on the ground don't matter. 

mob-pitchforks.jpg.feb06fbb376b3b1bf3cc53b61fde3fd1.jpg

3 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

they've only had 150,000ish hours to work on a function

They had indeed 150000 hours to develop all the features they had in the last 6 years. There were plenty of them. 

If they had implemented this one and had abandoned another one in favor of this, then there would be another suggestion topic. The topic with the feature that had been abandoned because of this one. And the customers complain the feature has been ignored for years. 😉

13 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

They had indeed 150000 hours to develop all the features they had in the last 6 years. There were plenty of them. 

If they had implemented this one and had abandoned another one in favor of this, then there would be another suggestion topic. The topic with the feature that had been abandoned because of this one. And the customers complain the feature has been ignored for years. 😉

If this were the single instance of something like this.... you'd be right.  But this has been a mutli-decade long issue with IPS over a multitude of feature requests. 

17 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

They certainly had several hours free for this.... Products – Invision Community ... because I'm sure some admin asked for a $16.50 + shipping pair of Invision Community logo socks from Printify.

They didn't even use their own Ecommerce software for the store.... just threw up a Shopify store.

No matter what anyone says, you're not going to like it.  And that's OK.  We all have things that we want.  There are things I've wanted for *20 years*.  

9 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

They certainly had several hours free for this.... Products – Invision Community ... because I'm sure some admin asked for a $16.50 + shipping pair of Invision Community logo socks from Printify.

That's super unfair and not a fair comparison.  Setting up a Shopify account was not something done by the development team.  Matt did not spend hours setting it up taking away from other development efforts.  It was done by the sales/marketing folks (Jordan, Charles, etc).  There are different people within IPS that do different things.  Some of that involves development, some of it involves other things.  

Again...  it's not about you or me.  It's about what IPS needs for a majority of their customers.  That's not on us to determine.  What IS for us to determine is to look at the features that are there and make a decision if it works for us.  If it does, great...  use the product.  If not, we look elsewhere.  

Personally for me, while there are features I would like to see...  the features that exist are more important which is why I'm still here.  If that situation were to change, I would find another solution.  

23 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

If this were the single instance of something like this.... you'd be right.  But this has been a mutli-decade long issue with IPS over a multitude of feature requests. 

There has been about a dozen people who've commented in this thread asking for it over 6 YEARS.  So while it may be important to some folks, it's not something that "everyone" is clamoring for.  Again...  it comes down to what does the MAJORITY of users need?  If this is such important functionality, there are some great third party developers you could engage to create the solution.  

But personally I think you're going a little overboard to say that IPS does not listen to its customers because a few feature requests that you want don't make it into the product.  

• Management

There’s definitely more gears than cheers here.

Ok, so we don’t “ignore” feature requests. We have thousands of customers that use their communities in diverse ways. We can’t add every single feature that is requested, but over the years we have added hundreds.

We look for trends, and feature requests that are asked for from multiple sources many times. Things like better stats, more robust spam management, better mod tools, improvements to SEO come up often and as such are regularly featured in new releases.

Features like this one find little support among other customers so we are less likely to include it. It’s also worth mentioning that we have a vision for our product and sometimes good feature suggestions don’t fit it. It’s the same with any piece of software. 

Gaps in our functionality are often filled by our marketplace authors.

As for trying to link what our marketing department are doing to being less able to develop code, that’s just not what happens internally. There’s more to Invision Community than just me. I probably do the least amount of coding here now.

I appreciate your input nonetheless. 

8 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

No matter what anyone says, you're not going to like it.  And that's OK.  We all have things that we want.  There are things I've wanted for *20 years*.  

That's super unfair and not a fair comparison.  Setting up a Shopify account was not something done by the development team.  Matt did not spend hours setting it up taking away from other development efforts.  It was done by the sales/marketing folks (Jordan, Charles, etc).  There are different people within IPS that do different things.  Some of that involves development, some of it involves other things.  

Again...  it's not about you or me.  It's about what IPS needs for a majority of their customers.  That's not on us to determine.  What IS for us to determine is to look at the features that are there and make a decision if it works for us.  If it does, great...  use the product.  If not, we look elsewhere.  

Personally for me, while there are features I would like to see...  the features that exist are more important which is why I'm still here.  If that situation were to change, I would find another solution.  

There has been about a dozen people who've commented in this thread asking for it over 6 YEARS.  So while it may be important to some folks, it's not something that "everyone" is clamoring for.  Again...  it comes down to what does the MAJORITY of users need?  If this is such important functionality, there are some great third party developers you could engage to create the solution.  

But personally I think you're going a little overboard to say that IPS does not listen to its customers because a few feature requests that you want don't make it into the product.  

What are you even talking about?  IPS IS a software company, which makes e-commerce software; however, doesn't use it to power its own store?  How is this supposed to inspire confidence in their products?

9 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

It's been approximately 48,228 hours since the original request was made. Multiply that by, what..? Probably 4 developers and you've got 191,912 hours.

So yeah.. take out holidays and weekends, and they've only had 150,000ish hours to work on a function that already exists in two other sections of their code. 

You'll probably we waiting just as long, or longer, for your 10 features as well. 

It's the unfortunate reality of Invision Power and has been for years.... unless one of their enterprise customers wants it, it doesn't get done.  Us peasants here on the ground don't matter. 

mob-pitchforks.jpg.feb06fbb376b3b1bf3cc53b61fde3fd1.jpg

The gallery app hasn't been substantially updated in 5-years - at this point, they should NOT even be charging for it.

Edited by jackflash

1 hour ago, jackflash said:

What are you even talking about?  IPS IS a software company, which makes e-commerce software; however, doesn't use it to power its own store?  How is this supposed to inspire confidence in their products?

No... that’s incorrect.  They’re a software company that makes community management software. Now… that community platform has some e-commerce features (specifically the commerce addon  application) but IPS has ALWAYS been a forum/community management platform. They’ve never tried to position themselves as an e-commerce platform and they don’t see their competitors as other e-commerce companies. 

IPS has already said the primary purpose for using Shopify is not the e-commerce aspect but instead the fulfillment and delivery. It does not make sense for IPS to stock inventory of logo gear… or to deal with picking items that are ordered and shipping them. 

Instead of finding people to do this, they use another solution that does that. But again… that has nothing to do with being a community management platform. 

If you’re looking for a e-commerce platform, IPB is not the right solution for you. I don’t think anyone at IPS would try to convince you otherwise.  If you need a community platform that can do BASIC e-commerce features while providing a robust set of content management and community engagement tools… IPB might be a good solution for you. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

7 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

IPS has already said the primary purpose for using Shopify is not the e-commerce aspect but instead the fulfillment and delivery. It does not make sense for IPS to stock inventory of logo gear… or to deal with picking items that are ordered and shipping them. 

There is a term in software development about “eating your own dog food”.   If you wouldn’t use it, why would a customer? 
I’m not suggesting that IPS stock inventory of this stuff, which quite frankly I’d question if anyone would ever buy, I’m saying they should have written the API to link to Printify or whatever dropship store they’re using and actually done something useful for the software as a whole. 

No admin wants $16 IPS logo socks. A bunch of admins would be interested in dropship APIs I’m sure.

I just add my opinion here that I'd also like to see the ability to schedule any content that is created within the Invision Community Suite - posts, files, articles, everything. This would be a huge improvement, because it allowes to create content earlier and then make it public to everyone when desired.

• Management
5 hours ago, MMXII said:

I just add my opinion here that I'd also like to see the ability to schedule any content that is created within the Invision Community Suite - posts, files, articles, everything. This would be a huge improvement, because it allowes to create content earlier and then make it public to everyone when desired.

I like this idea. 

6 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

There is a term in software development about “eating your own dog food”.   If you wouldn’t use it, why would a customer? 
I’m not suggesting that IPS stock inventory of this stuff, which quite frankly I’d question if anyone would ever buy, I’m saying they should have written the API to link to Printify or whatever dropship store they’re using and actually done something useful for the software as a whole. 

No admin wants $16 IPS logo socks. A bunch of admins would be interested in dropship APIs I’m sure.

We rarely write internally needed APIs. We use Zapier which saves us a lot of development time and costs.