Community

Hisashi

(.webp) images support

I'm definitely starting to see WebP extensions come up a lot on some media-rich blogs and websites that I visit.  

I always have to convert to a JPG if I want to reshare the media to my community.  

On 10/19/2016 at 11:28 AM, ehren. said:

WebP is only natively supported in Chrome and Opera, so I don't imagine this would be very high on any softwares to-do list.

It's supported across 78.37% of all mobile web users and 81.29% of global desktops.

Posted (edited)

Any news on this? We want to see .webp files as images, not as downloadable attachments :)

Edited by Mr 13

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can already use any CDN you wish. You set up where to store the files in the file configuration area, and then you can enter a custom URL (so you could store the files on a subdomain which your CDN sits in front of, and then set the custom URL routed through the CDN however your chosen CDN requires). We use CloudFront with our Community In The Cloud offerings, however the code is not specific to CloudFront.

Posted (edited)

@bfarber check the animated demo on the home page of https://www.imgix.com/ 

They work completely different to a CDN such as Clouldfront, in that they allow one image to be dynamically rescaled, optimized and format served depending on the device/browser and connection speed.

Edited by asigno