Upgrade from 3.4 to 4.1: all translations GONE!

Retroforum

I have painstakingly translated my community in the past, it was a lot of work, but it was satisfying, as the translation was exactly how I wanted to (most translations are very, very bad).
Upgraded to 4.1 today and all translations are gone. There is no Dutch language pack available for free, so I have to sink another $15 now or translate everything again? This is the worst I've encountered ever. What is IPS going to do about this? As I also have to pay to keep my account active every 6 months :(

Money, money, money.

On 30.9.2016 at 1:33 PM, Retroforum said:

There is no Dutch language pack available for free, so I have to sink another $15 now or translate everything again?

Complaining that you have to pay 15 USD for the amount of hours someone else has had to put into translating 10 000 strings seems unreasonable to me. It's a bargain, really. As with all language packs in the Marketplace. Calculate the opportunity cost it would be for you to spend twenty+ hours doing it yourself. 

On 10/4/2016 at 9:46 AM, TSP said:

Complaining that you have to pay 15 USD for the amount of hours someone else has had to put into translating 10 000 strings seems unreasonable to me. It's a bargain, really. As with all language packs in the Marketplace. Calculate the opportunity cost it would be for you to spend twenty+ hours doing it yourself. 

I already done the work myself in 3.x. My emoticons also transferred from 3 to 4 so I don't see why language did not.
Also most of the user translated stuff sucks anyway, so I have to pay $15 and then redo it for over 50%.
There should have been a language pack available for free, as we all pay Invision Power every 6 months!

19 minutes ago, Retroforum said:

There should have been a language pack available for free, as we all pay Invision Power every 6 months!

Translations are made by users, like you and me, not by IPS. So your 6 month payments doesn't mean anything in this case. You pay to download updated versions and to have support.

25 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Translations are made by users, like you and me, not by IPS. So your 6 month payments doesn't mean anything in this case. You pay to download updated versions and to have support.

Normally you pay once, get updates until the next major version AND have the languages. Not IPB. It sucks.

41 minutes ago, Retroforum said:

Normally you pay once, get updates until the next major version AND have the languages. Not IPB. It sucks.

I don't know of any forum software that would include different languages. Which software are you talking about?

You knew from 3.4 that you had to translate to your language and now you thought it is included?

It only sucks that no strings were carried over from 3.4 to 4.0 but the rest is your responsibility.

3 minutes ago, Tomzl said:

I don't know of any forum software that would include different languages. Which software are you talking about?

You knew from 3.4 that you had to translate to your language and now you thought it is included?

It only sucks that no strings were carried over from 3.4 to 4.0 but the rest is your responsibility.

3 came with a basic translation for free (years ago and as a matter of fact, a lot of money ago because of the renewal), I altered everything that wasn't good (which was a whole lot!) and never suspected that this would all be gone.
If this were a community people would offer translations for free (and a page where other community members could change strings and so on), but unfortunatly we made the wrong choice years ago, IPB became too commercial and too much focused on money.

Just now, Tomzl said:

You can translate it and offer it for free. :)

You probably downloaded the language for free because that translator offered it for free. So you can return the favor.

Yes, and pay every 6 months again, again, again. If they offered something in return, like free updates until the next major version (so up until IPB 5.0) I would consider it. And then everybody who wants could use my translations for free.
I know what it takes, as I did not only translate IPB 3, but a whole cart-system as well. They offered me a lifetime license in return (and all users could use that translation for free).

Or the guys who already translated this could get this offer as well, then I could download the translation for free and make it better and give that back to the community, for free.

But no, as I said, Invision Power is all about the money. Too bad, it was a great product once.

3 minutes ago, Retroforum said:

Yes, and pay every 6 months again, again, again

I don't get it how you don't understand for what you pay. I'll tell you again: you pay to download new versions and to have support. Period.

Marketplace even isn't something tied to the license; it is simply a perk.

3 minutes ago, Retroforum said:

But no, as I said, Invision Power is all about the money.

Of course it is. Or do you think IPS staff works for free? How do you think they keep their host, etc?

Funny.

But you didn't pay anything for the first translation. So that wasn't fair either. Did you share your fixed first translation here with others?

It was always just the system in English that you get when you pay the updates. Nobody ever said otherwise.

It seems to me that you want the community to benefit you for free while you demand something in return for your work. It doesn't work like that.

I don't need support, so I don't want to pay for it either.
But let's stop this conversation, we're never going to agree. 
There is a big difference between doing everything to get as much money out of your customers doing as little as possible (like offer only 1 language, any other language needs to be purchased separately and probably still sucks, offer "support") and making a real community driven product, still making money.

1 minute ago, Retroforum said:

I don't need support, so I don't want to pay for it either.

Yes, you're right. No one forces you to update.

2 minutes ago, Retroforum said:

any other language needs to be purchased separately

2 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Anyway, it's so simple: go to your ACP and translate your board. Everybody is happy; life goes on.

• Management

IPS has never provided any languages other than English :) ... I'm not sure why you are talking about money on this. We do not provide other language packs either for free or paid.

I'm sorry your customizations were lost in the v3 to v4 upgrade but unfortunately there is no way to keep them as the two systems are totally different.

IPB once was a community driven forum software

IPB now is a money driven forum software and that stinks, if known before, we would have made a different choice years ago. 
I don't need the forums to be fully free, but I'm not willing to pay for every little letter that I want changed. If I pay it to IPB or to someone else doesn't matter.

12 minutes ago, Retroforum said:

IPB once was a community driven forum software

IPB now is a money driven forum software and that stinks, if known before, we would have made a different choice years ago. 
I don't need the forums to be fully free, but I'm not willing to pay for every little letter that I want changed. If I pay it to IPB or to someone else doesn't matter.

IPS is a company, so you have to pay! 

And be happy with some free stuff made by others..

Archived