Classifieds System

1 hour ago, Mike Gholson said:

The whole IPB package (including IP.Commerce) is around $105US / 6mo..  Adding all of my software together I am probably around $350-400 a year.  This whole IPB platform is the best deal I've seen for what you get and less time needed to manage it.

Classifieds was one of the best add-ons for my site, hands down.  InvisionHQ is a great programmer. 

Mike

Hi @Mike Gholson, don't get us wrong, no one is denying the value of the IPB platform and the great work @InvisionHQ does. I use IPB exclusively on my sites after trying vBulletin, SMF, etc.

I'm happy paying for Commerce *IF* it is a requirement. I think what we're getting at is @InvisionHQ has in his roadmap a version of Classifieds that *does not* require Commerce, and many of us are running Classifieds without the internal transaction enabled on IPB/Commerce, so this would be a welcome addition.

Less things installed, less things to go wrong right? Either way, happy to see this add-on progressing on! Cheers!

I have two problem in yours classifieds script (https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8311-classifieds-system/

1) I've add offer to sell with 8 items to sell, I've clicked to buy it but I don't pay. In this way I have error:

"This advert is PENDING due to a possible deal. You cannot make offers or buy it for now." HOW O UNPENDING THIS ITEM? And dont't pend all other items. I've added about 20 items my user clicked "Bought it" and not pay and it is PENDING FOREVER. How to fix it? Please help me.

image.thumb.png.ca9a7a6548eacf1e6b9bc4830a45e6fd.png

2) Second 

Who are taking the transaction fee (for example 20% and 200 currency)? There is not any option in ACP tab. Admin (which admin?) Seller or Buyer?

On 17.04.2021 at 10:20, InvisionHQ said:

Я не понимаю, вы хотите дать пользователям возможность закрывать рекламу по истечении срока ее действия?

I want to give users the ability to close my ad at any time.

Example: a user changes his mind about selling or buying a product.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:33 AM, marcin554 said:

I have two problem in yours classifieds script (https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8311-classifieds-system/

1) I've add offer to sell with 8 items to sell, I've clicked to buy it but I don't pay. In this way I have error:

"This advert is PENDING due to a possible deal. You cannot make offers or buy it for now." HOW O UNPENDING THIS ITEM? And dont't pend all other items. I've added about 20 items my user clicked "Bought it" and not pay and it is PENDING FOREVER. How to fix it? Please help me.

image.thumb.png.ca9a7a6548eacf1e6b9bc4830a45e6fd.png

2) Second 

Who are taking the transaction fee (for example 20% and 200 currency)? There is not any option in ACP tab. Admin (which admin?) Seller or Buyer?

Please avoid cross support requests, if you use PM don't open also a topic.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, leonovich_J said:

I want to give users the ability to close my ad at any time.

Example: a user changes his mind about selling or buying a product.

The button "set as Complete" not good?

Hello @InvisionHQ,

Been using Classifieds now for a few days, what an awesome piece of work, thank you for this.

Have a couple of questions/bugs that i would like to check in with you on:

1) In the Classifieds Menu Manager, there is an error in the spelling of "Wish List". Is there anyway that i can change the names of "Classifieds", "Wishlists", "My Adverts", "My Offers", etc?

image.png.123be1fdb083145fbf9710e048f2ceaf.png

2) Assuming i do not want to use your built in menu manager, i could create another tab to External Link by linking it to www.url.com/classifieds, but how do i do the external link for "My Adverts"? Currently the URL is: https://www.url.com/profile/146336-username/content/?type=classifieds_advert, is there anyway to have a link like www.url.com/profile/myadverts so that i can hard link it?

3) I have allowed guests to post ads without the requirement of registering for an account, however, when guests submit an ad, they face the error:

The ad however is LIVE and showing within Classifieds.

image.png.e66aecf4c832a41c15eb4fe99d2e757b.png

4) On the contrary, if i DO NOT allow guests to post ads, the "Submit Advert" button is still showing for guests, and they go through the whole process and face the same error as point 3), however, their ad will NOT be showing in Classifieds. How do i hide the "Submit Advert" button from guests?

5) Is there anyway to NOT show the countdown timer to expiry on the advert feed? Or is there anyway to have the ad permanently there and NOT expire?

6) When i click on "Location" to type in the address, it always defaults to "United Kingdom", is there a way to change this to follow the current setting in Invision system? Otherwise every ad there will be an extra step involved which is changing the country.

7) Another spelling error i noticed:

image.thumb.png.32d91874cb3d638b0cb3a2330ae076aa.png

There is an extra "n" in "additional".

Thanks for the hard work, fantastic piece of add-on and hoping we can resolve the above issues!

Edited by statusjpn

My board uses: Invision Community v4.5.4.2 
Classifieds Plugin Version: 2.2.1

Hello all, 

Just obtained this great plugin. Great work ! 

I have a couple of questions so I can set this up correctly. 

1. When testing, I attempted a test purchase on a test advert I had created. After I bailed out half way through the process, when I go back to the listing I get a notification of "This advert is PENDING due to a possible deal. You cannot make offers or buy it for now." You can see this in the image below 

2055278708_PendingDeal.thumb.jpg.58528b0442d7d2860807c622e91f6ebc.jpg

How would someone go about marking it as no longer pending ? As in a normal user, not an admin

2. Is there a way to disable reactions in Classifieds ? The way in which we use the reactions system, we do not want members being able to give them on classifieds.

3. As a seller, on my test advert I marked the advert as "pending deal", but then get taken to an error page stating I do not have access, though curiously Im the site admin, so should have access. Any idea what I need to change ? See below for error.

913861450_SetPendingDeal.thumb.png.d2524248803c654f8c114878526548aa.png

4. We have WANTED section in our classifieds, can we disabled the Price Section as per the below image as it is not required here. 

156121966_RemovePriceCommission.thumb.png.a61b352ae8d4e94e0748ef9acb362207.png

5. Possible bug, however if there is an existing Pending Offer on an item, if you click on "Contact Advertiser" you are hit with a popup stating The page you are trying to access is not available for your account. Please see image below. Assuming there is no Pending Offer, the Contact button works as normal.

1072565524_ContactAdvertiserBug.thumb.png.44e52f8e82e34bab1ae2c8c61375e0ae.png

Notes on possible enhancements for future versions: 

1. Change "Offers" from being a global feature to category. It would be nice to be able to have some categories where we can allow offers and others where we do not. 

2. Multiple Currency fields. It would be great if there was a lookup to XE currency that would autofill your other currency fields. For instance, if I were to fill in £25 GBP, then my other currency fields such as USD,CAD Etc get auto filled with a conversion based upon a lookup at XE or other source.

Thanks all very much.

Edited by panzerscope
On 4/23/2021 at 6:11 AM, statusjpn said:

1) In the Classifieds Menu Manager, there is an error in the spelling of "Wish List". Is there anyway that i can change the names of "Classifieds", "Wishlists", "My Adverts", "My Offers", etc?

Noted. Thanks.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:11 AM, statusjpn said:

2) Assuming i do not want to use your built in menu manager, i could create another tab to External Link by linking it to www.url.com/classifieds, but how do i do the external link for "My Adverts"? Currently the URL is: https://www.url.com/profile/146336-username/content/?type=classifieds_advert, is there anyway to have a link like www.url.com/profile/myadverts so that i can hard link it?

Unfortunately, you cannot do this at the moment.

3) I have allowed guests to post ads without the requirement of registering for an account, however, when guests submit an ad, they face the error:

This needs further investigation, perhaps related to some setting in IP.Commerce.

4) On the contrary, if i DO NOT allow guests to post ads, the "Submit Advert" button is still showing for guests, and they go through the whole process and face the same error as point 3), however, their ad will NOT be showing in Classifieds. How do i hide the "Submit Advert" button from guests?

I have to solve this one, it could be a bug.

5) Is there anyway to NOT show the countdown timer to expiry on the advert feed? Or is there anyway to have the ad permanently there and NOT expire?

You can probably only do this by hiding the countdown with some CSS rule.

6) When i click on "Location" to type in the address, it always defaults to "United Kingdom", is there a way to change this to follow the current setting in Invision system? Otherwise every ad there will be an extra step involved which is changing the country.

Noted as suggestion.

On 4/23/2021 at 1:04 PM, panzerscope said:

As a seller, on my test advert I marked the advert as "pending deal", but then get taken to an error page stating I do not have access, though curiously Im the site admin, so should have access. Any idea what I need to change ? See below for error.

Looking at the url it looks like you are trying to set as "pending" an ad already in that state of "pending".

4. We have WANTED section in our classifieds, can we disabled the Price Section as per the below image as it is not required here. 

No, IP.Commerce require price, just add a "0".

5. Possible bug, however if there is an existing Pending Offer on an item, if you click on "Contact Advertiser" you are hit with a popup stating The page you are trying to access is not available for your account. Please see image below. Assuming there is no Pending Offer, the Contact button works as normal.

Yes this is a bug, thanks for reporting.

Edited by InvisionHQ
On 4/29/2021 at 8:54 AM, InvisionHQ said:

Noted. Thanks.

Unfortunately, you cannot do this at the moment.

This needs further investigation, perhaps related to some setting in IP.Commerce.

I have to solve this one, it could be a bug.

You can probably only do this by hiding the countdown with some CSS rule.

Noted as suggestion.

Looking at the url it looks like you are trying to set as "pending" an ad already in that state of "pending".

No, IP.Commerce require price, just add a "0".

Yes this is a bug, thanks for reporting.

Thank you for coming back on those points.

Please could you revert to points 1 and 2 on my posts and let me know ? : 

Also regarding your response to  Point 3 of my post. No, the advert was not already pending a deal when it took me to that error page, it was the first time I set that advert as pending, I was then given the error page I mentioned. I have recorded a demo video of the issue and will send it to you via PM.

.................................................................................................

**EDIT** More queries

Also I note that on the comments section for adverts that users cannot edit their comments, I have checked the user groups who have access to the Classified section and have confirmed they all have edit access across the site, so it is not this. 

For example, below is a screenshot of my comments section in classifieds, as you will see there is no 3 dot menu access. 

1958806736_ClassifiedsComments.thumb.png.539d34fefc4176694628f228656ccca4.png

As an example of another comments section I have on the site, users have access to the 3 dot menu, as per the below image. 

873040307_OtherCommentsSections.thumb.png.00a2b6ee0392192e79a69ba0938834a1.png

Is this a missing permissions thing from the Classifieds Plugin ? This test was done via the same user, so while they have edit ability across the site, the classifieds section they do not which is odd.

Thanks very much.

Edited by panzerscope
Added more issues

Hi all, found some new bugs:

image.thumb.png.7508ba2a7715b22f5b4cb5f77cca0821.png

1. When I try to change any settings for notifications I get the following error when saving:

image.thumb.png.414ba939b4009478bc67cceb9710a73c.png

It's actual only for Classidfieds notifications settings, so I think it's the addon's bug.

2. Image thumbnails are missing for Whishlist, My offers and My renewals:

image.png.4cfd375dcbfd214264c55bcc2aa98509.png

Hey all! I bought the app and am setting it up now. Looks super cool.

Wondering... has anyone enlisted the help of a legal professional to set up some verbiage (terms of service / guidelines etc)? 

Essentially, I want to lay out: when one member purchases an item from another member, my community is the middle man and isn't liable in the event a deal goes south. 

I kind of anticipate members reaching out to me to mediate a deal and I'm not sure how to feel about that. It'd be like buying something off Facebook Marketplace then hitting up FB if the deal went bad. I just want my community to be the platform for them to buy/sell merch, but not be legally responsible/liable. Or, is that not how this works? 😅

I'm also curious if this could land my community in hot water for selling previously-purchased merch. For instance if someone wants to sell an opened Britney vinyl, can that get me in trouble? Think I am answering my own questions in needing to speak to a lawyer about this all lol. 

Curious what others here have done. Any insight would be greatly appreciated :] 

Edited by breatheheavy
18 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Think I am answering my own questions in needing to speak to a lawyer about this all lol.

I would recommend studying all of the legalese that you must agree to follow on eBay and other established marketplaces as a seller and purchaser as well as any requirements your payment processor may require of you setting up and operating an online marketplace.

This should provide a sense of the complexity and legal and financial risks you will take on if you choose to proceed.

You will also need to look at how your business is structured to insulate you both legally and financially from things that might go awry for your business. The business type you choose to operate under will impact what paperwork is required as well as how you file taxes.

There are expenses and lots of paperwork required setting up and operating a non-sole proprietorship business and setting up a bank account.

Not only will you have to engage a law firm, but you also will need advice from a tax accountant as to what applicable local, state, and federal paperwork you need to submit throughout the year and how to figure out how much your tax burden will be based on your anticipated sales volume.

Unless your sales volume is "extremely" robust the expenses of setting up and running a marketplace as described above will cost more than you take in and take lots of your time managing it. 

You might consider setting up a dummy site as a thought experiment and ask your members to submit items for purchase and see what items are bought by your members during a set time using virtual currency.

You will need to figure out how to deal with shipping goods from one member to another and how shipping costs are addressed as well as tracking of packages, damaged goods, or failure to deliver by shipper or failure of seller to ship items "as described".

At the end you could determine what demand there really is for the items posted for sale and any possible profit you might attain after initial and ongoing expenses (don't forget to factor in the cost of failed transactions) determined from your research and consultations with a lawyer and accountant.

Your payment processor should be able to provide you with an approximate failed transaction rate from their other marketplace accounts as well as how many they will tolerate before limiting or closing your account. The amount of failed transactions could increase the cost charged decreasing your potential profit margin. 

There is also the possibility that you might not have immediate access to all the money owed to you or they might hold a certain amount aside to address any transaction abnormalities.  You should setup a sufficiently funded reserve account to cover your ongoing expenses in the event of payment delays.

Implementing a marketplace will initiate a more robust review process of "you" and your business to determine if you have the proper process and procedures in place as well as required written guidelines as well as the overall feel of the site to determine if you are a worthy of credit increases, decreases or outright cancelation of your account. As such it's important to weigh the value of adding additional product offerings against the possibility of losing access to your payment processor entirely or paying much higher fees.

The Fed has recently telegraphed the need for increasing interest rates to stave off inflation and the credit market has been lowering credit limits and making it harder to qualify and/or keep various credit-based products.

Over the course of the next year, I would recommend everyone to be especially mindful of their personal and business credit and take additional steps to minimize "any" adverse problems logged with your payment processor to ensure the longevity and profitability of your site.

Most payment processors place limits on how much they will process in any given period. Those may increase in time but isn't a given. It's good to ask what the criteria is to advance to a dollar amount that will work for your needs. If the requirements are too stringent for your site or will take too long it's best to know upfront.

If you figure you could reach profitability if you submitted 20k a month to the processor and you were limited to 10k than the additional 10k worth of transactions would be denied and your account wouldn't reset until the first of the next month.

How much additional stuff do members have to offer up for sale in the months and years ahead that other members would be willing to purchase? What's the potential profit to you? People have a finite amount of stuff to sell.  Eventually the marketplace offerings will dwindle to next to nothing as everyone will have sold off their good stuff and it will take time before they have something good again to sell or you will have to continuously recruit "lots" of new members with stuff to sell. 

Will these new members with "stuff" be the kind of members that fit in well with your community?  Will switching from being a place to socialize to a place for doing business be in the best interest of your site in the long term?  Tough questions need to be asked of yourself and your community to figure out if this is a good path to explore and something the "community" and not "you" want.

You need to look at how you can extract the transaction data provided utilizing this solution in a format your accountant will require to fill out the obligatory paper trail of running a business and ensure everyone is paid all that is due in a timely fashion.

There is a possibility that you might be missing key data points, or it will need to be structured in an entirely different fashion. This should be addressed sooner rather than later to minimize missteps in your implementation which could cost you countless wasted hours and expense.

Edited by Chris Anderson
10 hours ago, Chris Anderson said:

You will need to figure out how to deal with shipping goods from one member to another and how shipping costs are addressed as well as tracking of packages, damaged goods, or failure to deliver by shipper or failure of seller to ship items "as described".

SOO much to unpack here haha Appreciate the in-depth comment! 

In the time since, I have found someone via Fiverr to create legal agreements regarding all this so my community and my members are protected. So in the event one of the things goes south (like you mentioned above), it's up to the members to work it out.

Both the seller and the buyer will have to agree to terms expressly laid out that my community is not at fault should an issue arise, we are simply the medium.  

For example, if someone buys an item on FB marketplace and the deal goes south, FB is not the one they'd go after.

I am also going to use Paypal only to start (not Stripe) to avoid any potential chargebacks.

Thoughts? Am I being too naiive? 

Edited by breatheheavy