Using Justified text as the default layout in posts

Mikeiw3001

Hi all, we're about to pull the switch (a bit late) on upgrading to version 4.1.14.2 of the forum software, and (amongst other things) I'm so pleased that we're finally getting Justified text, rather than the old left, right or centre of 3.x.x, which leaves a jagged edge down one side that always looked messy and unprofessional to my eyes.  What I'd like to do is set up the posting window so that it defaults to justified text, rather than have reviewers (and the members) having to click the button every time, which is easy enough to forget to do.  Incidentally, I notice here you've not got the button on your toolbar.  The horror!!!! :o

I'm not massively technical, but I can follow instructions, so if there's a way to do it, I'd be grateful to hear about it ^_^

You could add this to custom.css

.ipsComment [data-role="commentContent"]{ text-align: justify; }

It won't affect the text in the editor when typing, but once the post has been submitted, the text will be justified unless specified otherwise (using the left/right buttons).

On 5. September 2016 at 5:34 PM, Mikeiw3001 said:

a jagged edge down one side that always looked messy and unprofessional to my eyes.  What I'd like to do is set up the posting window so that it defaults to justified text …

It’s more like the other way around. Justified text is the unprofessional choice, unless hyphenation is turned on (and working perfectly) and the column width is ideal. But with a responsive website, that can’t be guaranteed. Make sure you test your justified text also on smaller devices like phones. If you see big holes, inside the column (which is a normal result of forced justified text), you shouldn’t use it. 

Archived