Google Cloud Storage/ Google Cloud CDN

On 9/4/2016 at 1:07 PM, Joel R said:

Any CDN is already supported so half your request is already done.  

I don't know if there are still CDNs that are origin push only, but those would no be supported by IPS.

In this particular case, the Google Cloud CDN imposes restrictions on the origin.  Not sure whether Google Cloud Storage is among the acceptable origins, though.

Edited by ptprog

2 hours ago, antr12 said:

First I'd heard of this ... so I'm currently using the IPS cloud which limits storage.

Using this I can increase the members storage capacity on my board of which will allow larger files to be uploaded ??? 

Yes.  You keep your database on IPS cloud but.move all user attachments to S3.

Must admit, I'm interested in moving attachments to CDNs but I wouldn't know where to start either, and would be very concerned about unexpected cost, especially since my main community runs at 100% loss all the time and is run as a hobby. My members mostly post off-topic content these days, so the idea of paying to store it on top of my $55 a month VPS web hosting has held me back from looking into this, mostly because I didn't want a VPS over Shared Hosting but IPS4.x kind of pushed me to it with its demand for more resources.

Some ideas of what Google/S3 cost small/med/large IPS communities would be useful before diving in, at least for people like me who run a community as a hobby.

• 1 year later...
On 08/09/2016 at 11:38 PM, Lindy said:

We are going to add additional storage options as S3 can be mind blowing for some, but have not landed on any specifically. We're certainly open to suggestions and will consider Google.

Any update on this? It would be a lot more cost effective for us to store files on GCP rather than S3.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/20/2021 at 12:25 AM, kmk said:

By now, which solution is recommended by the community? Chepear as possible and good thinking for future. 

I have been using S3 (Amazon) and have been looking at GCP simply because I'm interested in comparing.  I'll never go to Microsoft's Azure..  they haven't been reliable since they moved from Windows 3.1

• 1 month later...