How to de-activate Quick Reply

BobSperanza

Hello,

on my forum, as like as in this forum, if you click on "Reply to this topic", the browser will automatically bring you at the end of the page and you can write in that box your reply, while you are still surfing that page of the thread.

Is it possible to de-activate this function, so that if an user click on "Reply to this topic", a new reply page will be opened ? I mean the same page you get when you start a new topic or you edit your posts in another browser's tab, so that you have only your reply box in the page and not the whole thread's page as it is now.

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Rikki said:

I'm afraid not - in IPS4 there's no separate 'reply' page, it's all handled within the flow of the topic.

That's really bad. But if you click on "Edit" in your post and you open it in a new tab (right click+open in a new tab or clicking on the link with your scroll wheel), you will have a new tab with the separate edit page. It puzzles me you can have a seperate page when you edit and not when you reply!

1 hour ago, Charles said:

What is your goal that a separate reply page would meet?

When you work with tables, is much better to start the table near the start of the page and not at the end, because when you want to add/remove a column/row, you have to use those <x> symbols which are always at the top of the page. Is it possible to add the option that if you click on Post a reply, you will open a new page ?

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Charles said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about tables ^_^ 

Here is how I can easily add/remove columns/rows in a table with a new page edit:

1.png

While here is what I get with the "quick reply" box at the end of the thread:

2.png

As you can see, there are now symbols to add/remove columns/rows and if I want to press them I have to scroll all the page to be back at the start of the page and press them without seeing the table.

IS there any option to go to the "new page" reply by clicking on "Reply to this topic" ?

Thanks!

• Management

I guess I am still confused on the table part but having the editor input area on a new page vs the bottom of a topic does not change how the editor input area works. It would not make any difference in how you interact with it.

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, opentype said:

Why? You want that the same thing appears in two different places with slightly different options? What’s the benefit? 

A few things:

1) Old forum veterans will feel more at home as it is functionality from older IPB versions.

2) The second screen's editor is usually bigger.

3) Counter: What's the harm?

Archived