Amazon filestorage - backups

I'm about to move (some of) my images over to amazon - and the filestorage is setup and OK now - on AWS Frankfurt.

I have images stored from 2002-2003 - and up - and theres a lot and alot more of images there.

Today I have all my images on my server - and I take a back-up of all those images before I take the plunge and move storage, but my concern is - what back-up routine does Amazon have. In case something is wrong in a upgrade here on IPS - and all files accidentely are deleted from amazon - how do I find the backup on amazon? any experiences appreciated. Is it adviseable to have copy of each bucket on amazon as well?

On 8/25/2016 at 11:04 PM, Joel R said:

There's no backup on S3 unless you configure some kind of backup yourself.  

With that said, one of the benefits of migrating your images to S3 is that even if upgrade goes bad, images are separately stored.  

Thanks for reply Joel. I know my images are safe in that bucket at amazon - but my main concern is:

• what if I accidentely delete the bucket from amazon?? (I have several buckets - also private ones)
  • what if my IPS software delete the bucket?

As now - I have a back-upsolution at my Hosting-provider - and I'm not sure if I should have some kind of extra backup also. I've been looking at cloudberry for this - but not started with it yet..

10 minutes ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Thanks for reply Joel. I know my images are safe in that bucket at amazon - but my main concern is:

• what if I accidentely delete the bucket from amazon?? (I have several buckets - also private ones)
  • what if my IPS software delete the bucket?

As now - I have a back-upsolution at my Hosting-provider - and I'm not sure if I should have some kind of extra backup also. I've been looking at cloudberry for this - but not started with it yet..

I mean, to be safe you should have a back-up.  And then to be extra safe, you need a back-up of the back-up.  But in case something goes wrong to the back-up of the back-up, you really need a back-up to the back-up to the back-up.  

And on and on.  :smile:

On a serious note, it just depends on a balance between redundant storage versus how much time, effort and money you want to spend. 

Archived